PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross Fork Recommendation

Lovetoclimb
11-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Anyone have good or bad experiences with forks on their cyclocross bike? Looking to pick up something for a frame being built for me. Just unsure if spending the top dollars for Enve is the route to go.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Anyone have good or bad experiences with forks on their cyclocross bike? Looking to pick up something for a frame being built for me. Just unsure if spending the top dollars for Enve is the route to go.

Ritchie, nice fork for not a lot of $.

EDS
11-16-2011, 12:55 PM

Aren't custom frames typically bult with specific fork measurements in mind?

Lovetoclimb
11-16-2011, 01:24 PM
In this case a 47mm rake was used in the measuring process. I 45 could be substituted but there are several options in the 47mm category.

rockdude
11-17-2011, 07:14 AM
I have had most all of them.

top of the list
*edge/enve
*Alpha Q CX10 (not made anymore)
*Reynolds Ouzo Pro (not made anymore)

I wouldn't race on any other forks except maybe the Serotta or Wound up, but I have not tried them.... Some of the stock tapered forks are great. I really like the one on my Van Dessel.

Lovetoclimb
11-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the help. I agree some of the stock forks look awesome. The new Focus Mares fork with its flared walls for clearance seems like a brilliant idea. But given the overall feedback I have received and option for a deal through my sponsoring shop ENVE looks like the winner. I wonder why so many of the forks are not made anymore given the huge increase in CX popularity over the last XX years.

rockdude
11-17-2011, 09:02 AM
Those companies don't make any forks any more not just CX. I would bet there are several factors but liability is one of them. Bottom-line profitability was not there or they would still be in business. I bet someone could in light us more in regards to the factors the caused these companies to stop making forks.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Those companies don't make any forks any more not just CX. I would bet there are several factors but liability is one of them. Bottom-line profitability was not there or they would still be in business. I bet someone could in light us more in regards to the factors the caused these companies to stop making forks.

Vast majority of frames these days have proprietary forks, made for that frame. Aftermarket fork market dried up. Remember that 90%+ of the bicycles produced come as bicycles, not frames. And those made off shore. VERY expensive to make a US made fork these days. Offshore forks, if designed well and manufacture is monitored, are great forks. Another reason there aren't more aftermarket, particularly US made, forks.

DfCas
11-17-2011, 10:31 AM
If you are going to use canti brakes,I would not buy a fork without a hole to mount a canti stop on the fork crown. Too many problems with fork chatter using steerer mounted canti stops.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2011, 11:20 AM
If you are going to use canti brakes,I would not buy a fork without a hole to mount a canti stop on the fork crown. Too many problems with fork chatter using steerer mounted canti stops.

TRP CX-9, CX-8.4, Tektro 926....mini Vs.

RedRider
11-17-2011, 11:35 AM
I am using an Alpha Q that I bought new last year on my Serotta cross bike and it works great. You can still find new ones at some dealers. Enve forks seem to be the framebuilders' top pick for cross probably because they are light and reliable. Personally I don't like carbon dropouts on carbon forks...call me old fashioned...but I haven't heard any complaints from Enve users. I've always like the styling of the Wound Up products and they always get great reviews.
Ritchey always makes a good product. Hopefully, the long awaited Serotta cross fork will be available in the near future.

witcombusa
11-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Your getting a custom frame WITHOUT a fork from a builder? :confused:

Lovetoclimb
11-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Your getting a custom frame WITHOUT a fork from a builder? :confused:

Yes I am allowed to fork shop, but we did design the frame with a 47mm rake in mind, so that limits my options a bit. He is relatively new to the custom building process. And he is more versed in road bikes than CX race bikes. Thus it is all a bit of an "experiment".

tuscanyswe
11-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Theres the moots rsl fork now. Has hole for forkmounted cablestop if one would like. Guess it only comes painted moots style tho but if you are having the whole thing painted anyways it might be an option.