PDA

View Full Version : Bilenky S&S retrofit...

Dekonick
07-28-2005, 09:31 PM
Just curious - anyone ever use Bilenky from PA to do a S&S coupler retrofit on a Serotta Ti frame? They say they can do it - $650 -

wondering if anyone has had it done.

eddief
07-28-2005, 09:47 PM
the coupler technology has been around a long time and as I see it is pretty much fool proof in the hands of a competent frame person. After having Steve Rex couple my Kogswell and doing a fine job, I would suggest you double check your motives. I've made one attempt to uncouple it and pack it in the hard case. The attempt was more or less successful but even with the correct padding the top tube came out of the case with a teeny teeny dent. My point is make sure you really want to go through what it takes to travel with a coupler bike and acknowledge that if you are stuffing it in a case your pride and joy may/will take some hits. I bought the relatively low cost Kog cause I knew this would be the case, but it built up to be so nice it will hurt to do the packing thing to it.

Bradford
07-29-2005, 08:38 AM
the top tube came out of the case with a teeny teeny dent.

I've traveled with my coupled tandem several times with no problem at all. I'm curious how you packed it.

Did you use S&S hard cases with Compression tubes? Did you use protective packing on the bike? I use S&S padding on every tube. The first time I packed the bike it took me two hours just to cut the padding and label it for the right tube with a paint pen.

Also, was you bike able to slide around inside the boxes? With the tandem, it is such a tight fit, it can't move at all. If I were packing a half bike, I'd make sure it couldn't move.

Just curious.

Dekonick
07-29-2005, 11:43 AM
I don't really plan on doing this (at least not any time soon...) but just wondered if it can be done with modern tubing that has different thicknesses - and if this has any effect on riding characteristics (not that I woulc be able to tell...)

It just looked interesting -

seems to me you are better off getting a new frame built this way from the start.

:)

Bradford
07-29-2005, 11:47 AM
I don't really plan on doing this (at least not any time soon...) but just wondered if it can be done with modern tubing that has different thicknesses - and if this has any effect on riding characteristics (not that I woulc be able to tell...)

It just looked interesting -

seems to me you are better off getting a new frame built this way from the start.

:)

The couplers work just fine; other than the extra weight, there is no difference. From what I've read from frame builders, the problem is with the retrofit. Evidently it is a lot tougher to get the alignment right on a retro fit then if you put them in from the start. That is why most builders will not put couplers into an existing frame.

That being said, a friend of mine did retrofit his bike and it worked. My guess is that most frames will make it through the process ok, but some will come out mis-aligned.

cpg
07-29-2005, 12:10 PM
The couplers work just fine; other than the extra weight, there is no difference. From what I've read from frame builders, the problem is with the retrofit. Evidently it is a lot tougher to get the alignment right on a retro fit then if you put them in from the start. That is why most builders will not put couplers into an existing frame.

That being said, a friend of mine did retrofit his bike and it worked. My guess is that most frames will make it through the process ok, but some will come out mis-aligned.

Nonsense. It's a piece of cake. Any builder that struggles with retro-fits has no business messing around with it.

Curt

Dekonick
07-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I would be afraid to have my Hors done as it can't be replaced -

But - It sure looks interesting on a Legend or Colorado. Expensive but traveling to visit my sister in Colorado with a bike would be REALLY nice... but then again why not just UPS the thing in a box...

There is something to be said for air travel with your bike - a good friend of mine went to the TDF last year with his (in a soft case) and his frame got SLIGHTLY banged up (cosmetic -) and he ended up with a new bike paid by the airline.

Another guy I know (not as well) was in Whistler last month with his tricked out downhill MTN bike. He has well over 8k in components (well had...) on his ride - and being smart asked the Hotel where he could put it and have it be safe. The hotel had a 'safe' room that they had customers use for bikes. His got stolen...

No word on if he will get $$ for it or not - either way his vacation was shot.

So - is it worth $650 to outfit an old frame with S&S - or better just to UPS a bike out a few times when visiting. The economical answer it to ship it. :D

(I dont visit often cuz its a ***** getting to her place - no direct flights; 4+ hours by car from Denver in good weather...wife doesn't like Colorado much...traveing with a baby sucks...)

Guess my answer is just ride where I live and dream about the roads in the rockies.

Dekonick
07-29-2005, 12:55 PM
and 8,000 feet of atltitude from Maryland is like me having my hemacrit reduced to 20 or so...

Hmmm-- EPO...

Nah.

Besides; I'm slow anyway :)

Bradford
07-29-2005, 01:47 PM
So - is it worth $650 to outfit an old frame with S&S - or better just to UPS a bike out a few times when visiting. The economical answer it to ship it. :D

Remember one thing, it doens't fit in one box. The two wheels alone will take up one airline-legal box and the frame will go in the other. This means two boxes plus padding, which ran me about $600.

With a tandem, it is a must. UPS and FedEx won't ship tandems. Also, with a tandem, you will always be traveling with someone else, so if you each get a bike box, you still get one piece of luggage for clothes. If you are traveling alone and check two bike boxes, you are limited to carry on for the trip. (Or pay for extra baggage if they charge you).

My touring bike does not have couplers and I just ship it out UPS when I travel with it. I keep thinking about getting coupled half bike, but I would't use it that much.

Then again, if I traveled frequently and having a bike would be nice, I'd probably do it.

Brian Smith
07-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Remember one thing, it doens't fit in one box. The two wheels alone will take up one airline-legal box and the frame will go in the other. This means two boxes plus padding, which ran me about $600.

My touring bike does not have couplers and I just ship it out UPS when I travel with it. I keep thinking about getting coupled half bike, but I would't use it that much.

Not to contradict my partner, but it IS possible to have an coupler-equipped bike that can be fit into a single airline-legal box. That was the whole point of them being introduced. That said, not all coupler-equipped bikes successfully do fit into the size box designed/sold by S&S Machine.

Many 700c wheels would have to have their tires deflated in order to fit.
My coupler-equipped cyclocross frame did NOT fit into such a box, nor did my cyclocross wheels (without removing the tires.) I was pretty disappointed in the builder for making such a thing.

Bilenky has done a lot of them, I'd wager that if you had them install them with instructions that the bike must be able to go into the S&S box, they'd get it correctly done for you.

I won't say who the builder of my non-compliant frame was, but only that it was a 1 1/2-man show somewhere south of the Mason-Dixon.

Shipping the bike UPS-air might be a good lower cost alternative to couplers, especially if you don't need the travel function often, but if you do get them, I don't think you'd ever regret it.

eddief
07-29-2005, 05:01 PM
my first packing job was in my driveway. i did not take two hours. I got it uncoupled, wrapped and into the box in about 40 minutes. I have no idea how the nick got in my top tube. I need more practice and more patience with the pads and the configuration. I'm sure it will come in time. After speaking with the folks at Sands Machine I have confidence in their product and the hard case approach.

Ray
07-29-2005, 06:36 PM
Whether someone wants an S&S bike is one question (I don't, having had two). Whether Bilenky can do it is another, and the one asked here. From experience I can tell you they do a fine job retrofitting steel. I had a steel retrofit done several years ago and Bilenky did a perfect job. I'm sure they can do ti equally well. However, my understanding is that the tubes have to be round (which makes sense given the round shape of the couplers themselves). So a bike with all manner of ovalized tubes would not be doable unless it happened to be perfectly round in the coupler location.

-Ray

csb
07-29-2005, 07:29 PM
just wondered if it can be done with modern tubing that has different thicknesses

that's what silver caulking is 4

www.phenoseal.com

Bradford
07-29-2005, 11:04 PM
Wow Brian, that is cool. I stand corrected.

It just occured to me that my tandem rear wheel is wider than a half bike, so that is where the extra space comes from. It wouldn't work with my wheels, but I can see how it would work with normal wheels.

Now for the important question, why aren't you making your own bikes? If you need help, let me know, I can be up to help you with the torch, just give a day's notice. :banana:

97CSI
07-30-2005, 08:02 AM
Friend Tom from Avalon had Bilenky do his '92 Schwinn road bike (nice 853 rig). He was happy with the result and has not reported any problems with either the quality or the ability to pack and carry on the airlines. He did a tour in Holland last year and FL this past winter.

billrick
07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
Hey, all. This is my first post after lurking for years. I thought I would mention that S&S also has a soft bag that can be stuffed with larger-sized wheels and frames.

I recently picked up an IF 29er Deluxe with S&S couplings, which I am able pack into the soft bag after deflating the tires to about 15 lbs pressure. Only traveled with it once this year, to the Fruita Fat Tire Festival, and it was worth the effort. No scratches or dings, but I expect that something will happen one day. Just a good excuse for a periodic re-spray. Packing and unpacking takes me about 20 minutes.

I liked it so much that I have researched the retrofit chop shops, and also settled on Bilenky. They have a lot of experience. I am going to have Bilenky chop my old Rivendell Road frame this November, after the Seagull 100. Then off to Joe Bell for new paint and I'll hopefully be riding it in CO and TX and CA next spring.

USNA92
07-31-2005, 08:28 PM
Dekonic,

I have a steel frame that was retrofitted with S&S couplers a few years ago by Bilenky. Once I got the frame, my business travel stopped, so I never set the bike up. I live in Howard County, MD also, so you are welcome to come by and see it.

Greg

Dekonick
07-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Cool - I would like to see how they work.

Have you noticed that traffic and angry drivers are becoming a problem of late?

I seriously have no real practical use for S&S (I travel very little - especially now. One trip a year to Co to visit my sister is the MAX.) but it would be nice to have MY bike when I visit her...

perhaps when Sandy win's the lottery and buys me a new Ottrott with S&S couplers... :) :bike: :beer: