PDA

View Full Version : C-4 Hubs

echappist
11-15-2011, 11:51 PM
I was almost ready to pull the trigger on a C-4 hub from http://c-4shop.com until i decided to search for reviews. Some of the reviews mentioned that the hubs have issues with lateral stiffness. The hub i'm thinking of getting had wide hub and flanges, so i think i may be okay, but could someone warn me if it isnt?

However, i have also read rumors that the owner of the place may be Mark Hoskin, who has ripped off people before. Is there any truth to this? Feel free to PM me if this is something you would prefer to discuss in private.

rice rocket
11-16-2011, 01:09 AM
The C-4 hubs are just the standard rebranded Taiwanese hub (Circus Monkey, Joytech, Novatec, etc.), no?

If you prefer not to deal with him and still want budget hubs, there's a guy importing Taiwanese hubs and supporting them fully. His name is Brandon, running his business out of North Carolina and he's a standup guy.

http://www.bikehubstore.com

wasfast
11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I've not used them but read plenty of stories about poor quality and some really pointed comments about the owner who's supposedly taken advantage of customers with previous brands. Search on weightweenies for the gory details.

If I was going for import hubs, I'd also suggest bikehubstore.com

eddief
11-16-2011, 10:06 AM
built into my A23/Sapim Laser spoked wheels. so far so good, but not a racer so they don't get hammered, just ridden normal like. the internet scuttlebut is a bit daunting and Mark does not seem to get involved in those conversation. he and i spoke on the phone and he answered my basic questions and my builder wanted to use his hubs. so that's what i got.

here they are now famous on the net:

http://pdxwheels.wordpress.com/2011/11/

jds108
11-16-2011, 11:23 AM
IME bikehubstore has the best prices. I have bought two hubsets from him and all the spokes, and Brandon has been very helpful. I'll buy from him again.

Not many miles on either set, but they're both very nice. (surprisingly so, considering their price!)

I just hope he starts carrying a few other rims, then I can get all of my wheelbuilding parts from him.

-Jeff

dave thompson
11-16-2011, 11:34 AM
The C-4 hubs are just the standard rebranded Taiwanese hub (Circus Monkey, Joytech, Novatec, etc.), no?

If you prefer not to deal with him and still want budget hubs, there's a guy importing Taiwanese hubs and supporting them fully. His name is Brandon, running his business out of North Carolina and he's a standup guy.

http://www.bikehubstore.com
No. Their hubs are claimed to be made in the U.S., some of U.S. made and imported parts.

My dealings with C-4 and mark have been nothing but good. He answered my first queries quickly, always answered the phone when I called, recommended a less expensive alternative build that would suit my needs and delivered what he promised, when he promised. My C-4 wheelset has been everything that Mark said it would be. I will and have recommended C-4 products to others based on my personal experiences with them.

eddief
11-16-2011, 06:25 PM
dave recommended these hubs to me and who better?

No. Their hubs are claimed to be made in the U.S., some of U.S. made and imported parts.

My dealings with C-4 and mark have been nothing but good. He answered my first queries quickly, always answered the phone when I called, recommended a less expensive alternative build that would suit my needs and delivered what he promised, when he promised. My C-4 wheelset has been everything that Mark said it would be. I will and have recommended C-4 products to others based on my personal experiences with them.

echappist
11-16-2011, 06:38 PM
thanks for all the responses. i'm trying to decide between C-4 and bikehubstores.

one unrelated question: how often should you service bearings? my front White Industry H2 hasn't required any servicing for the ~10k miles i have on them, but i was told i may need to service the bearings every 5k miles. Is this reasonable? Or is it just that the WI bearings are so good they don't need replacement?

ultraman6970
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
U can get a nice pair of miche RC2 hubs for a tiny bit more than 100 bucks a pair. You can't beat that and arent bad at all. Best bang for the buck and made in italy 100% from what they claim.

U can change the bearings fro ceramic ones if you want, those hubs use 6000 series bearings available everywhere.

echappist
11-16-2011, 07:18 PM
U can get a nice pair of miche RC2 hubs for a tiny bit more than 100 bucks a pair. You can't beat that and arent bad at all. Best bang for the buck and made in italy 100% from what they claim.

U can change the bearings fro ceramic ones if you want, those hubs use 6000 series bearings available everywhere.
thanks for the response. How often do you need to service the RC2?

Also, to take this thread even more OT: what is the difference between the bitex and novatec hubs when compared to a CK, DT, or WI? Is it a nearly trouble-free use (read, i don't need to touch the bearings for 15k miles) for which i'm paying the extra $$$?

oldpotatoe
11-17-2011, 07:55 AM
[QUOTE=echappist]thanks for the response. How often do you need to service the RC2?

When new, sharp knife and pry the seals off, grease in here, replace seals. After a while, skewer out, spin axle..smooth? leave alone. Crappy? Service.

Don't waste your money on ceramics, they do nuthin, in some cases, are less reliable than stainless steel, cost more $.

echappist
11-22-2011, 05:16 PM
So i've decided to get either a CK R45 or a WI H3 instead of the other hubs. I figure that it'll save me a ton of hassle down the road.

C-4 does have very attractive pricing on spokes, however, and i'll be sourcing my spokes there. Who knows, maybe this is the small bait at the beginning to earn trust.

oldpotatoe
11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
So i've decided to get either a CK R45 or a WI H3 instead of the other hubs. I figure that it'll save me a ton of hassle down the road.

C-4 does have very attractive pricing on spokes, however, and i'll be sourcing my spokes there. Who knows, maybe this is the small bait at the beginning to earn trust.

Also look at DT 350, new hub. Same innards are 240, less $.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/Hubs/340-classic-%281%29.aspx

I know this says 340 but it's to the 350 hub. Road and MTB versions.

echappist
12-02-2011, 12:11 PM
hmm, apparently shipped now

staggerwing
12-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Also look at DT 350, new hub. Same innards are 240, less $.

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Components/Hubs/340-classic-%281%29.aspx

I know this says 340 but it's to the 350 hub. Road and MTB versions.

Good to know. The 240 is more than I want to pay anymore.

At about half the price, and with same guts, what is different, not that I'm complaining?

oldpotatoe
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
Good to know. The 240 is more than I want to pay anymore.

At about half the price, and with same guts, what is different, not that I'm complaining?

'Off shore', wee it heavier, not as 'pretty', hub shell..innards still made in Switzerland.