PDA

View Full Version : Miche Primato 11 Speed Campagnolo Cassette - thoughts

guylimey
11-15-2011, 10:23 PM
Anyone using or has used a Miche Primato 11 Speed Campagnolo Cassette? What were your experiences and thoughts?

krhea
11-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the post Guy, I had planned to ask the same question about Miche's 10spd cassettes at some point this week.

KRhea

Germany_chris
11-15-2011, 11:32 PM
I use the 10sp cassettes, I like them they're just a bit heavy..my 12-25 Miche is a bit heavier than my 13-29 Centaur

ultraman6970
11-15-2011, 11:47 PM
The 11 comes only in supertype if i'm not wrong, supertype and the primato are two different worlds just in case.

AngryScientist
11-16-2011, 06:04 AM
i've had awful luck with miche cassettes for campy, with 10-sp. i'm curious to hear how they are for 11.

for my money though, i think i'll just stick to ordering campy cassettes from the UK where they are reasonable cost. i sure hope they release a lower cost athena 11 speed cassette soon.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2011, 07:27 AM
Anyone using or has used a Miche Primato 11 Speed Campagnolo Cassette? What were your experiences and thoughts?

Experience(initial, about a year ago) with their 10s cogsets was awful. Didn't shift hardly at all and the smallest cogs weren't 'centered', the teeth weren't equidistant from the center of the cog, teeth went up and down. Returned all of them, stick to Campagnolo or shimano, depending on 'system'.

ultraman6970
11-16-2011, 07:31 AM
The one i have worked fine to me.

AngryScientist
11-16-2011, 07:49 AM
Experience(initial, about a year ago) with their 10s cogsets was awful. Didn't shift hardly at all and the smallest cogs weren't 'centered', the teeth weren't equidistant from the center of the cog, teeth went up and down. Returned all of them, stick to Campagnolo or shimano, depending on 'system'.

i also got the impression that their spacers were not the exact correct size, contributing to the awful shifting.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2011, 07:52 AM
i also got the impression that their spacers were not the exact correct size, contributing to the awful shifting.

Yep, I heard from others that they are just fine but I don't think I'm going to buy some, sell them only to have a customer come back, with the cogset I recommended and sold, not happy with the performance. Many great ratios from Campagnolo and shimano. No advantage to aftermarket cogsets, IMHO.

wasfast
11-16-2011, 08:18 AM
+2 on poor 10spd versions. Broke teeth off of several cogs in a very short time. Veloce is around the same price, much better value. For 11spd, I can't imagine things are all that different from Miche.

Birddog
11-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I also had a poor 10 sp. It broke teeth on the 1st position cog, not once but twice. The shifting was acceptable. Miche spacers are all the same size unlike Campagnolo. Another forumite tried one out last summer and seemed to like it, perhaps he'll wade in.

krhea
11-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Thanks a bunch for the "experienced" replies about the 10spd version fellas, much appreciated.

KRhea

firerescuefin
11-16-2011, 02:07 PM
I also had a poor 10 sp. It broke teeth on the 1st position cog, not once but twice. The shifting was acceptable. Miche spacers are all the same size unlike Campagnolo. Another forumite tried one out last summer and seemed to like it, perhaps he'll wade in.

I have been running it since June and have about 2.5K on an 11-29. The appeal to me about the cassette is that you can build your own ratio ranges and I wanted something for steep/long climbs and a good descending top end. I have been hard on the cassette (hard training and racing) and it is starting to show....finally, but I have not sheared any teeth and have been very happy with the performance vs dollar spent. If I could mix and match Chorus or Record, I would have. Speaking to the shop where I purchased, Miche has had to address QC issues, but they believe they are on top of them....when I purchased it, they said I could bring it back any time, no questions asked....The Primato for what its worth weighs in right around Chorus weight in the 10sp

Viner1
11-22-2011, 06:08 PM
Ive used MICHE cassettes and offer the following: shifting and wear is better than Campy and I do not get the periodic "crunch" sound Ive experienced with C. The big difference is that with MICHE I can replace individual cogs when they wear or when I want to develop a custom ratio. Also, the MICHE Supertype hard coated alum, at 135 gms, is less expensive than comparable lightweight and as such can purchase two cassettes for nearly the price of one of C. A light cassette on a set of their carbon wheels is a joy to ride somehow made hill climbing fun! The big difference I found in MICHE is the Supertype crankset...the smoothest and most silent shifting rings Ive ever tried...and the 110BCD compact means I can put non-compact MICHE 110BCD rings on the same crankset...and stiff!

keevon
11-22-2011, 06:13 PM
Ive used MICHE cassettes and offer the following: shifting and wear is better than Campy and I do not get the periodic "crunch" sound Ive experienced with C. The big difference is that with MICHE I can replace individual cogs when they wear or when I want to develop a custom ratio. Also, the MICHE Supertype hard coated alum, at 135 gms, is less expensive than comparable lightweight and as such can purchase two cassettes for nearly the price of one of C. A light cassette on a set of their carbon wheels is a joy to ride somehow made hill climbing fun! The big difference I found in MICHE is the Supertype crankset...the smoothest and most silent shifting rings Ive ever tried...and the 110BCD compact means I can put non-compact MICHE 110BCD rings on the same crankset...and stiff!
This sounds like a shill.

ergott
11-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Wow, awesome first post.

:rolleyes:

Keith A
11-22-2011, 08:09 PM
This sounds like a shill.BikeRadar seems to like their crankset...
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/chainset/product/review-miche-supertype-chainset-bb-34137/

steampunk
11-23-2011, 06:38 PM
i got a 10sp 12-27 a few weeks ago, just to use occasionally for extra-extra hilly rides. it was a drop-in, shifted fine, and did not require any derailleur adjustment.

if i can give it a negative, it will be for the lockring. the stamped splines do not appear finished to exacting tolerances and my park cassette lockring tool was too snug and did not seat properly. i still managed to get it on/off though.

RonW87
11-23-2011, 07:48 PM
Bought my 10-speed miche cassette from Ribble for a silly low price ($25 or something)? Perfectly happy with it. Same weight as Veloce (250 grams). But much shinier!

If pressed, I might say that on my last ride there were a couple of shifts where I had to double clutch (could be due to cog spacers being equal width vs. unequal width for campy ones?). Maybe I would have had to do the same with a campy cassette, maybe not. But it was literally only a couple of shifts over a 100k ride.

R.

dr50470
11-24-2011, 08:26 PM
i used the miche 10 speed 12-27 and replaced the 27 with a 28 for my cross country trip back in 2008. it barely made it. one of the middle cogs cracked shortly after finishing the trip. the 12-28 ratio appealed to me for my needs but i'd never buy their 10 speed cassette again, given the reliability and cost of the veloce and centaur that i use.

for some reason (probably b/c i'm cheap) i bought their 11 speed option for a recent build. so far it's actually been good and it's definitely a different construction than the 10 speed miche i previously used. i liked the price and the 12-27 option. i can't find a negative after about 1k on the 11 speed miche yet but i have never used a campy 11 to compare against.

ts0673
11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
I have used a 10spd for roughly 2k miles and have not had any issues - it shifts fine and wears reasonably well thus far. Reason I went with Miche is due to the fact that I like to run a 13-25 and can configure my own cassette.