PDA

View Full Version : What's next?

Jack Brunk
11-15-2011, 08:36 PM
What do you guys/gals have in the custom frame building que?
Wait times?
Who's the builder?
What are you having made?

SamIAm
11-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Weigle Randonneur for me.

Wilkinson4
11-15-2011, 08:47 PM
Ellis Road for me... Getting closer!

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s0W2jwcyk5U/TrrgjdKpJzI/AAAAAAAAF3c/LNQTj8nREsU/s640/DSC02881.JPG

mIKE

Joachim
11-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Spectrum Super Ti. Road frame. Another 4-5 months wait.

Lovetoclimb
11-15-2011, 08:49 PM
Custom CX frame by Lundbeck!

dana_e
11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
built Ibis Sonoma

Deda tubing, tig

waiting to be built

like new from a forumite

gold powder coat

Lovetoclimb
11-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Oh and my Cannondale Supersix should be back from Calfee repair by early December!

Take water bottle cages off and don't pack your frame in soft sided bags when flying :crap:

Joachim
11-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Custom CX frame by Lundbeck!

The pharmaceutical company who sells the antidepressant Lexapro? :)

beeatnik
11-15-2011, 09:14 PM
Sizemore SSCX
4-6 months
http://sizemorebicycle.com/

akelman
11-15-2011, 09:22 PM
A Sachs. Shouldn't be more than another decade now*. And I was in the queue for a Kirk before I got hurt. Once I get my health squared away, I'm looking forward to trying again.

* If this sounds grumpy, that's not how I meant it. I knew the wait when I signed on, and I'm if not quite happy to be patient, I'm certainly more than willing to do so without complaint.

bicycletricycle
11-15-2011, 09:26 PM
chapman cycles rando in another month or so.

gone
11-15-2011, 09:34 PM
A Speedvagen.

bike22
11-15-2011, 09:36 PM
i'd like to ge trid of a bunch of my bikes/parts, consolidate and reduce what i have to a fewer number of good quality bikes and parts.

less is more, i'm over owning large quantities of stuff.

Jack Brunk
11-15-2011, 09:44 PM
For me I just finalized and in the que for a Firefly 29er titanium ISP, Lefty fork, geared/SS EBB, with some other really cool things waiting for a March delivery. I think their work is at the top of the scale right now. Jazzed.

jmeloy
11-15-2011, 09:47 PM
whatever Jack decides to sell off. It served me great in the past!!
All the best, Jack!

p.s. got new Peg and new Bedford just 3 months ago!

tannhauser
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
For me I just finalized and in the que for a Firefly 29er titanium ISP, Lefty fork, geared/SS EBB, with some other really cool things waiting for a March delivery. I think their work is at the top of the scale right now. Jazzed.

You get let this every few weeks.

Jack Brunk
11-15-2011, 11:01 PM
You get let this every few weeks.
At least I know I have a disease. I throw myself out of rehab. It's all good. :beer:
This build though really jazzes me. I think Tyler and Kevin are on to something very special.

DRZRM
11-15-2011, 11:18 PM
I only wish I rode Jack's size.

For me it is a Zanconato tig'ed 29er HT (geared). Estimated delivery in January (hey that's coming up, isn't it?).

Peter B
11-15-2011, 11:37 PM
I'm flush right now but if I was shopping I'd cue up for a Firefly and another Llewellyn. Maybe something in light steel from Carl Strong. The stuff Drew at Engin has been producing looks good. Eric over at Winter does nice stuff and Alliance show serious promise. And I've enjoyed watching FortyFour build up his shop. Curious to see the bikes he produces.

But I'm flush, remember.

BTW Jack, are you selling? :)

fogrider
11-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Sizemore SSCX
4-6 months
http://sizemorebicycle.com/

checking out their website...whats going on with the upper part of the seat tube...a few inches down from the top? http://www.sizemorebicycle.com/bicycles/richs-road-dream/

Uncle Jam's Army
11-16-2011, 12:41 AM
1. A Kirk S&S coupled Terraplane "all-rounder" at JB's waiting for paint
2. A Zanconato XCr SAX MAX Di2 stainless steel frame that should be delivered sometime before the end of the year.

GuyGadois
11-16-2011, 01:11 AM
The Banana Stand by Fünke will be finished this weekend :banana:

GG

rice rocket
11-16-2011, 01:13 AM
No Serottas?

Peter B
11-16-2011, 02:49 AM
No Serottas?

My Legend is a keeper and was the design inspiration for my Potts fixed gear. Both are terrific bikes.

rePhil
11-16-2011, 05:25 AM
incoming.It's not custom but...http://www.amazon.com/STRIDER-SPORTS-INTL-INC-ST-2-KTM/dp/B004AR0B3U
For my youngest grandson.

Seriously, Between my Moots and Strong I need nothing. More money to spoil the grandkids with.

gearguywb
11-16-2011, 05:42 AM
2. A Zanconato XCr SAX MAX Di2 stainless steel frame that should be delivered sometime before the end of the year.

We are on the same track. Spoke to Mike a couple of months ago about getting in line for a XCR Max frame that would run 28's.

On the Vanilla list (I think!) for the last couple of years or so.

christian
11-16-2011, 05:55 AM
I'm getting rid of everything but my MX-L and my Moots YBB.

don'TreadOnMe
11-16-2011, 07:03 AM
Full-on, unadulterated Don bike.
Don McClung.

FlaRider
11-16-2011, 07:11 AM
S3 road racing rig from Erik Rolf at Alliance. Should be a kickass bike!

HomardBreton
11-16-2011, 07:11 AM
...if all my questions are answered - it seems that a Serotta MeiVici will find a new home in my stable...

Hopefully I can take it with me to the Piedmont next years May...

yakstone
11-16-2011, 07:15 AM
I stand patiently in line waiting to pick through Jack's "old" stuff.

Fixed
11-16-2011, 07:20 AM
No Serottas?
why?
cheers

cp43
11-16-2011, 08:00 AM
checking out their website...whats going on with the upper part of the seat tube...a few inches down from the top? http://www.sizemorebicycle.com/bicycles/richs-road-dream/

It looks like there's a sleeve of a bigger tube over the upper part of the seat tube. Maybe to allow for a bigger top tube?

As far as incoming bikes, I'm in the process of getting a Bike Friday Pocket Llama.

Chris

FlashUNC
11-16-2011, 08:01 AM
Guy who owns my local shop decided to do an order from Colossi. Hopefully that frame should get here by the end of the year.

Custom (though largely based off my former Trek 5200 geo) with Columbus MAX main tubes and Spirit stays. Still sorting out what the paint will be.

And no, no Serotta, mainly because I already have the oddball Reynolds 753 Serotta frame that's my primary bike.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2011, 08:10 AM
Wait times?
Who's the builder?

Not custom but going to get a MXLeader with a big ding in the top tube, gonna get it, get the top tube fixed, respray it in Belgium national colors, C-Record Delta group on it...Maybe an aluminum Athena group on the Waterford for a demo bike.

Chance
11-16-2011, 08:50 AM
why?
cheers
Great observation by Rice Rocket. It’d be easier or more common to justify if there was a must-have new product. Just guessing many on forum already own Serotta and since they can last forever the need to replace or upgrade isn’t as great.

Riders seem to still seek variety or change even if it means a downgrade. Sometimes it doesn’t make much sense on surface but our needs may go beyond the bike’s physical attributes. Or not. Maybe it’s just the shiny newest color that makes that emotional connection.

bobswire
11-16-2011, 08:56 AM

Jack , I'll have to satisfy my lust for a custom frame voyeuristically by yours and other forum members. A lefty Firely Ti 9'r, geared/ss, Wow. Triple XXX rated.

forrestw
11-16-2011, 09:31 AM
I've offered a frame to a friend / teammate to be built in Jan, if she passes then I'll build myself a frame in oversized ox-plat or s3 tubing.

If she wants it I'll do mine next jan

Peter B
11-16-2011, 10:00 AM
S3 road racing rig from Erik Rolf at Alliance. Should be a kickass bike!

I'll queue up for this one now. Let me know if/when it runs it's course of ownership with you.

stormyClouds
11-16-2011, 10:28 AM
The Banana Stand by Fünke will be finished this weekend :banana:

GG

There's always money in the banana stand.

SPOKE
11-16-2011, 12:20 PM
I'm still in que for another Sachs. Should pop to the top of the list in another year or two. I would really like a Weigle too. Maybe I should send him a deposit?
For now though I have purchased a really nice TIG welding setup and a regular oxy-actelyne torch. Next is an Anvil frame jig and a few other bits.
I'm just going to start building my own frames. The learning process should be fun and challenging.

Vientomas
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
My winter project is not nearly as exciting as most of your comments, but I obtained a used TIG welded Bianchi Eros with a unicrown fork which I will have repainted and built up with Campy Centaur. It will be used as dirt road bike. The frame and fork easily fit 28c's.

Ti Designs
11-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm gonna show up with something different next season - speed. As for the bike, I plan on getting a new Serotta La Corsa as soon as the old one rusts out...

fiamme red
11-16-2011, 01:27 PM
As for the bike, I plan on getting a new Serotta La Corsa as soon as the old one rusts out...I don't think they make that model anymore.

krhea
11-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Wanta. Cyfac.

KRhea

weatherman
11-16-2011, 01:48 PM
Wait times?
Who's the builder?

Done now (for a few months), but still loving every minute of it--custom Eriksen EBB 29er built with SRAM XX fork and brakes, ENVE bar/stem, Truvativ Carbon SS crankset, and Easton Haven Carbon 29er wheelset.

Good stuff and can't say enough good about working with Kent and Katie! :beer:

http://gallery.me.com/bdavisgw/100142/IMG_6658/web.jpg?ver=13007396260001

spiderman
11-16-2011, 02:16 PM
sometime soon eric
is going to put together a winter, winter bike for me...
...he has wisely talked me out of a belt drive.
he seems to specialize in integrated lighting
and has some great ideas on design, etc.
i hope he makes me a web-shaped rack
and a bar-stem-front end that rocks.
can't you just imagine web-shaped snowflakes
on a dark blue to purple winter fade paint scheme??
not sure if it'll have gears or not.
i like the simplicity of single speed
but will look forward to what he recommends.
my only hesitation is mentioning this
and then getting behind jack in the que.
in the past, eric has made a couple stems for my kirks...
...they seemed to be ready by the time i had
his check in the mail...
i hope to have the bike by next winter
but something tells me i could be riding it before the snow pack is gone 2012!

Ti Designs
11-16-2011, 02:43 PM
I don't think they make that model anymore.

Then it's a good thing my old one isn't rusting...

weiwentg
11-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Wait times?
Who's the builder?

Nothing. Completely satisfied with my Vanilla.

If I decide to get back into cyclocross, that might change. But one primary bike is enough for me, imo. Plus living in an apartment, I don't have space for more than that.

FlaRider
11-16-2011, 04:12 PM
I'll queue up for this one now. Let me know if/when it runs it's course of ownership with you.

Will do, although I suspect this one will be a keeper! A buddy just bought a single-speed cross bike from Erik and absolutely loves it.

Jason E
11-16-2011, 08:26 PM
My new IF shipped today. Should be here in Raleigh on Friday. I am VERY excited, it is 25 days early!

Still have (2) Serotta's for the road, so will probably not get another Road bike for a while, just up the quality of my wheels or something... :rolleyes:

ergott
11-16-2011, 08:27 PM
My new IF shipped today. Should be here in Raleigh on Friday. I am VERY excited, it is 25 days early!

Still have (2) Serotta's for the road, so will probably not get another Road bike for a while, just up the quality of my wheels or something... :rolleyes:

I'm on it. :D

Smiley
11-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Its next up as I have moved a clients Ti Road Bedford ahead of my wife's but she is getting couplers, EC 90 canti boss fork and S&S couplers as bike will be designed for fenders and a rear rack. It should be very nice and compliment her CDA road bike nicely.

Smiley
11-17-2011, 05:07 AM
For now though I have purchased a really nice TIG welding setup and a regular oxy-actelyne torch. Next is an Anvil frame jig and a few other bits.
I'm just going to start building my own frames. The learning process should be fun and challenging.

Where do I put a deposit down on a SPOKE Tig road fixee :banana:

Seott-e
11-17-2011, 05:43 AM
K BEDFORD.

I have one of his TI 29er mtn bike frames. it's the best mtn bike I've ever had, and it's not my first TI frame.

cuda2k
11-17-2011, 07:06 AM
Kirk Frameworks. My first custom after several years deliberation and riding my 86 Serotta Nova and other vintage steel bikes I decided it was time for a custom with modern steels and custom sizing. Deposit down late March, figure I hope to have the frame some time about the same next year so I can get it built up in time for my birthday.

Trying to be patient for the word from Dave saying my name is at the top of the list, I know it's got to be close by now. In the mean time, working on getting the wheels sorted out, working on a few other winter projects such as getting my old Schwinn Crosscut rebuilt as a dirt road bike.

oldguy00
11-17-2011, 07:09 AM
When I win the lotto, or inherit a bunch of money, or when the kids are out of daycare.....whichever happens first......I hope to order a custom stainless frame from Dave Anderson.......so nice....
:beer:

cuda2k
11-17-2011, 07:13 AM
When I win the lotto, or inherit a bunch of money, or when the kids are out of daycare.....whichever happens first......I hope to order a custom stainless frame from Dave Anderson.......so nice....

One of those is "next", if I ever get around to a "next", or should I say save up enough scratch and find a place in the collection for a "next". I had a difficult time deciding between Kirk and Anderson after spending entirely too much time in each booth at NAHBS this past year. An Anderson 4-seasons would compliment what I have in mind for my Kirk quite nicely I think.

Tim Porter
11-17-2011, 07:49 AM
New Kirk coming soon, i.e., very soon, like within a couple weeks. Frame is back with Dave after paint by JB, components are working their way to Bozeman even as we speak. Psyched. It's the first JKS-X bike for a customer.

Tim

Joachim
11-17-2011, 08:17 AM

I forgot to add that one... Anderson lugged 953, no paint. Due in July...:)

cfox
11-17-2011, 08:29 AM

25 days early?? hmmm, I'm waiting for an IF (ti crown jewel for internal Di2), and mine is a tad late. I know they had a big backlog due to their move. I ordered mine on 8/15. Not mad, but curious, when did you order yours?

jr59
11-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Got enough right now.

What's next? How about many miles on the bikes I have now.

Seems to me that, once you get to a certain point, it's just more.
I'm not saying that is a bad thing, just a different thing.

If I find I am not happy with the stable I have now,
I think I would like Garro or Retro-tec to build me a fat tire tourer like bike.
Disc and Rholoff!

But I can't see that happening in the near future.
No time to tour that way right now. :crap:

Ryun
11-17-2011, 09:09 AM
Well... after to getting down to just three bikes (My Chris Chance, gaulzetti di2 and ti darkstar), I have a number of bikes en route.
first is an XCr tubed darkstar that I traded for on here. really looking forward to it. Love firefly's fab work and Spinelli knows a thing or two about geo. Should be here soon

Zank cross is running a bit late but should be here any day now. Pearl orange with white panels. Pegorichie tubing... yummy

finally I have a Zank road in the que. Nice light lugged frame with all the usual bits. Still working on color. Looking for April/may delivery

dauwhe
11-17-2011, 09:29 AM
Custom Boulder Bicycle, lugged 650B, with hand painted lettering. The next-to-last bike!

mattsbeers
12-26-2011, 08:46 PM
Primus Mootry alloy race bike, ISP, PF30, Tapered Ht all the cool stuff.

Sizemore Training bike to replace my killed purple one. Hopefully before summer for both!

wooly
12-27-2011, 01:10 AM
I just put a deposit in for a Geekhouse. Intended to be a flexible ride to accommodate fenders, fatter tires, etc. Still figuring out the details and have 5 months to use my imagination. Should be fun! I haven't done a custom since my parlee z1 back in 2006ish.

Pete Serotta
12-27-2011, 10:15 AM
Sitting at Cyclesport.....it is still a favorite of mine. My legend needs a refreshing but it is a member of the famlly. It has been to Italy and France with a Serotta group quite a few years ago and has been to Ca, ride the rockies, Montreal, and recently Lancaster PA. :bike: :beer:

jonnyBgood
12-27-2011, 10:24 AM
Thinking of doing a new custom Speedvagen cyclocross frame for next season.

I am currently riding a custom Chris Kopp aluminum cyclocross frame. Chris was the main wielder at Yeti Cycles for over ten years and a super awesome guy.

Also on the lookout for a stock carbon cyclocross frame that may actually fit me. I have a long torso and crazy monkey arms with short legs. :crap:

Delpo
12-27-2011, 11:49 AM
Looks like my name has been called by Mr. Sachs so that's it for me...

jbrainin
12-27-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm pulling the trigger on a Firefly all-terrain Ti road bike once they return from vacation and I'm currently towards the back of Mr. Kirk's list. And no Serottas are pending as three are enough for now.

Nooch
12-27-2011, 12:09 PM
nothing custom but I should be picking up a specialized Transition expert this week so I can add time trialing to my race calendar..

one day a custom bedford will be in my grasp..

Pete Serotta
12-27-2011, 01:35 PM
nothing custom but I should be picking up a specialized Transition expert this week so I can add time trialing to my race calendar..

one day a custom bedford will be in my grasp..

Also send Keith A a note on your IT skills. See you Jan 29th at cyclsport event

Pete

Nooch
12-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Also send Keith A a note on your IT skills. See you Jan 29th at cyclsport event

Pete

Pete, I think you're just a little bit taller than I, but I appreciate the offer!

Besides... which bedford is yours?!?

spamjoshua
12-27-2011, 02:09 PM
I have always loved MAX, have owned a Santana Moda, Serotta t-Max (which I have ridden since '94), 4 MXLs, the Argonaut... and while the MXL I got from thwart was almost perfect, I really wanted the attention to detail that comes with a custom Road frame...

I am sure Mike is very busy right now, so I have no planned schedule save for whenever he is done.

Cheers,
Joshua

kohlboto
12-27-2011, 02:55 PM
A new Hampsten being welded sometime during the next few weeks...
Going for a commuter based on the Crema, using a Sturmey Archer IGH and painted British Racing Green(Steve calls it a Cremore-a or something like that).

Steve in SLO
12-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Thinking of a Della Santa, orange with blue panels. The Dutch in me will approve.

pdmtong
12-27-2011, 10:03 PM
I got mine from sacha - it's posted in the gallery. when the final bag of money is collected maybe a RSL or firefly.

Pete Serotta
12-28-2011, 12:26 PM
it is one of my favorites and will be at Cycesport for an early spring pickup and ride with friends.... :D

Pete

bking
12-28-2011, 01:28 PM
Two Kirks, all-rounders with with couplers and case, one for me, one for my wife. Bikes on thier way back to Dave from Joe Bell.
One single speed 29'er from Tony Periera in Portland--delivery date not known.

oldpotatoe
12-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Wait times?
Who's the builder?

Waterford custom pista frame/fork for the velodrome opening this spring.

-Yellow, white panel, Record grouppo, Vel ProElite rims onto Record pista hubs.

-5 weeks, Mark Mueller

bronk
12-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Judging by this thread, it appears the economy is doing just fine thank you.

Matt Barkley
12-28-2011, 07:20 PM
Custom Fondriest TF Zero - as I understand it, made by Sarto Cycles. - Matt