PDA

View Full Version : What's a Serotta Atlanta?

2wheelwill
11-15-2011, 04:42 PM
Hi,

I bought a beautiful dark blue Serotta Atlanta here on the forum about three years ago - without much knowledge about the model. I absolutley love the bike, the ride, and the look. But I've always wondered where the Atlanta fell in the Serotta model lineup....was this entry level for Serotta?

And I don't see Atlanta's for sale very often - was the model not around long?

Thanks for any info.

2wheelwill

fiamme red
11-15-2011, 05:01 PM
You can find a lot of information in the Forum archives if you do a search.

Birddog
11-15-2011, 05:04 PM
It was just below the CSi. Many people used to say it was 80% of the CSi at 60% of the price. They made it for 4 or 5 years. The major difference is that the CSi had one additional tapered (Colorado Concept) tube.

dave thompson
11-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I've had several Atlantas, one of which was my introduction to Serotta bicycles. As others have said, the Atlanta was just below Serotta's top-tier CSi. The Atlanta was/is a great bike, sturdy, excellent handling, extremely well built, well thought of and generally not traded around often.

Fixed
11-15-2011, 05:37 PM
a great bike frame
imho
cheers

MadRocketSci
11-15-2011, 05:57 PM
It was just below the CSi. Many people used to say it was 80% of the CSi at 60% of the price. They made it for 4 or 5 years. The major difference is that the CSi had one additional tapered (Colorado Concept) tube.

the non-colorado concept tube on the atlanta was the top tube, which was wider at the head tube than the seat tube on the CSI. also, the atlanta was made from a non-heat treated Reynolds UK steel iirc.....thus heavier than the CSI. rode great as far as i'm concerned....

oliver1850
11-15-2011, 07:32 PM

Frankwurst
11-15-2011, 07:39 PM
There is generally a reason you don't see something for sale very often and it's usually because people don't want to part with that item. I sold mine and have regretted it more than once. If I knew then what I know now it would still be in my garage. They are fine riding bicycles. :beer:

Elefantino
11-15-2011, 08:22 PM
There is generally a reason you don't see something for sale very often and it's usually because people don't want to part with that item. I sold mine and have regretted it more than once. If I knew then what I know now it would still be in my garage. They are fine riding bicycles. :beer:
+1, and thanks to threads like this for opening that old wound.

While we're at it, why don't you give me a paper cut and pour lemon juice on it!

http://internetfm.com/gif/MiracleMax.jpg

I have had an Atlanta and a CSi and I liked the Atlanta better. I still like the Concours better but the Atlanta was my all-time fave non-Italian steel bike.

2wheelwill
11-16-2011, 11:00 AM
Thanks all for the info....and the love stories. I knew I owned a special bike but now I know for sure. Anyone know the genesis of the Atlanta model name? Is there some relation to the Olympics?

Thanks again everyone!

2wheelwill

dave thompson
11-16-2011, 11:09 AM
It was named the Atlanta to commemorate Serotta's participation in the Olympics there. Pascal Richard won the men's road race on a Serotta rebadged as a Fausto Coppi.