PDA

View Full Version : Help with flat bar roadbike set up

Fishbike
11-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I have in my mind that it would be fun to build (and of course ride) a flat bar road bike. I stumbled upon a good deal on a Lynskey-built Litespeed Tuscany that's really too nice for the parts bin build (I'm talkin' Sora) I initially bought the frame for. I am lucky enough to have a Moots and Serotta ti Fierte, so I really don't need another ti drop bar rig.

What ideas do you folks have for a speedy flat bar bike? What trigger shifters and FD/RD combos should I consider? What alternative bar shapes would be fun for a roadie to try and what kind of shifters? Should I use Seven's Cafe Racer for inspiration? Mustache bars? Please share all thoughts.

Wimpy
11-14-2011, 09:35 PM
When I think Ti and/or Flat bar, "Utility" comes to mind.

I did Ti Flat bar conversion and would recommend using the least expensive stuff you can find. Jenson.com used have a flat bar brake shifter set that you could get for under $75. Use the Sora stuff you already have and some cheap carbon flat bars for some low rent bling.

oliver1850
11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I built one about a year ago. I used Deore (M530 I think) 9 speed shifters. They have the integral brake lever for V brakes, but seem to work fine with road calipers (Tektro dual pivots). I'm running a compact crank and Tiagra RD. The front derailleur was the main problem. I tried several different Shimano road models I had on hand. None could be set up without the chain rubbing the cage in certain gears. As I remember, a Mirage worked better than any of the Shimanos. I ended up with a Sachs 5. I assume the Deore FD would work, but don't know how well with road sized rings. I've got 28s on my bike, and with wide range gears it's kind of a go anywhere machine.

If you want to spend some money, get Centaur flat bar shifters.

You could also use GripShift.

mvrider
11-14-2011, 10:59 PM
I have a mint take-off flat-bar set-up you can have for $135 plus shipping:
FSA XC281 alloy bars (31.8 dia, 680 length)
Shimano SL-R770 10-speed shifters ($180 new for the set)
Avid Speed Dial 7 road-pull trigger levers
Oury grips

even the cables are mint

Mike748
11-15-2011, 08:55 AM
I'm a big fan of flat bar bikes for trail riding and times when you want to go a little slower and enjoy the scenery. I also think it is an excellent way to repurpose an older road bike. Have a look in the customs gallery at the Rivendell I just built up.

What I've found in building several...

You'll want a longer reach frame/stem than with drop bars. Especially with riser handlebars. You'll be sitting up more and the bars will be closer. I run about 3cm longer than on a drop bar road bike.

Bars - I like riser MTB bars like in the post above. In fact if you are threadless that would be a smoking setup (esp with the road front shifter and the brake levers). If you want to be more hip, less comfortable then there are other options like mustache.

Shifters - I've used Campy FB shifters and didn't like them (light action but very vague shifting) and Shimano FB and love them. I currently have a R600 9spd FB road shifter on my Miyata and it is THE best shifting rapid fire shifter I have ever used. The XT 9spd on the Riv is good too but not as good. The front shifter is where you have a problem. The Shimano MTB rapid fires won't work right with a road front derailleur. I run downtube shifters for the front. A thumbie would be a good option too. Or you can find the R600/R700 road FB's.

Frame - ability to run wider tires is nice on this type of bike. I run 28's on my Miyata which is a regular 80's racing bike built for 27x1 1/8.

Brakes - I use Tektro R538's on the Miyata to accommodate the swap to 700's but the Shimano R650's are WAY better. You can get away with regular road calipers just fine.

Brake levers - I use Shimano R550 and some old Dia Compe PC5's. Just make sure you get caliper/cantilever levers, not Vbrake/disc levers.

Have fun.

spacemen3
11-15-2011, 01:16 PM
A Nitto B2500AA handlebar with IRD XC-Pro thumbshifters would be my choice. I had mustache bars with bar-end shifters on an old Rivendell, but they sucked the fun out of riding for me. Sounds like a cool project — keep us posted. :)

Fishbike
11-15-2011, 01:30 PM
Hey folks -- Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I am thinking and planning. . . which is always a dangerous thing.

WeakRider
11-15-2011, 01:32 PM
You could also use GripShift.

Yes. My commuter/daily rider is a Raleigh RX 1.0 cross bike with risers and X-9 twisters. This setup has been completely reliable and hassle-free. Also, gripshifters are very light and cheap.

Nooch
11-15-2011, 01:40 PM
SRAM Double-Tap Flat Bar Road Shifters. Add in some Apex Derailluers and a force crank..

That's how I'd do it, at least..

thendenjeck
11-15-2011, 06:18 PM
I'm running a 9spd XTR group with a salsa moto-ace bar and I love it. really prefer the rapidfire shifters to grip shift. swept back bars like albatross with bar ends are really nice too. agreed that you will need a longer stem, that is, if you want the same riding position/reach. personally I like being more upright for this bike.

oliver1850
11-15-2011, 07:20 PM
SRAM Double-Tap Flat Bar Road Shifters. Add in some Apex Derailluers and a force crank..

That's how I'd do it, at least..

What about a SRAM road build using X7 or X9 shifters? Should work, shouldn't it? I actually have all that on hand...hmm.