PDA

View Full Version : Im a lousy mechanic!

tuscanyswe
11-14-2011, 08:14 PM
So im building up my new bike today :)

I started this thinking ill get it build up in time for evening. This was 2pm. Now its 3am and i refuse to give up.

The Jagwire cables were a mess and took me 2hours to cut and set up properly with those damn cantis. Have a mentioned i hate cantis? I really do, they better stop me good or ill do something to them!

My new paul chainkeeper decided not to work with campy ut with small ring in big ring spot cause then it hits the crank arm since so narrow in the outer poss as low down as a 39. So ill be getting a new solution for that.

This is my first 11s setup. So far i have no more gears than on my other campy bikes. Maybe i dont need that 11s gear? 10 is plenty but it doesent feel right when the printed logo says 11!

My chain is skipping in the front. Seem to only be happening when the ring picks up the chain where the chainbolt is in the arm on the ut cranks. Perhaps i need to take it off again and see if ring is bent or something. I dunno, seemed straight going on. Maybe i bent it when i dropped a tool on of the 100s times so far this evening.

Did i mention i decided to do this without a bikestand. Working on your bike on the floor with poor lights in the hallway is a great way to learn anger management. Im regretting the decision to do this without one abit now. Im thinking had i brought it i might had a chance to have something to eat, dinner maybe. That would have been nice. Im hungry!

Oh well Atleast it looks good, right!

Man it better work proper tomorrow!!! :)

ultraman6970
11-14-2011, 08:18 PM
If makes you feel better, I do have a stand but i barely use it because of space.

Good luck with the built.

wc1934
11-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Good luck - you'll get thru it and will be proud of your accomplishment - you sound like me - everything seems to take ten times longer than originally planned and something always goes wrong.

tuscanyswe
11-14-2011, 08:27 PM
I dunno its gonna take more than that to make me smile now. Alltho the cheese sandwich im eating is doing a good job making me feel better abit it all.

tuscanyswe
11-14-2011, 08:49 PM
umm with some food in me im thinking more clearly, time for bed!

Ill leave you with a pic of what ill be dreaming of!

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6233/6346419832_86dbd933f7_z.jpg

eak12
11-14-2011, 09:08 PM
After I read your first post, I completely related about your frustration.

Then I saw the pic what you were building, and my feelings instantly turned into insane jealousy :)

Nice ride, brother!

Wilkinson4
11-14-2011, 09:16 PM
If I had that bike I would stay up all night working on it stressing over every minute detail!!! Oh wait, I have done that. NM.

mIKE

tuscanyswe
11-14-2011, 09:21 PM
Yeah well i decided enough is enough. I cant figure out why the chain is skipping and im to tired to testride now anyways. That was the goal that spured me on but now laptop in bed seems sweet!

Thanks eak! This is the forum to be on if you are in to jelousy. I can relate to that ! :)

fogrider
11-14-2011, 10:56 PM
I felt sorry for you until I saw the bike...now all I can think of is that you're a cheap sob for not getting a stand. btw, that looks like its my size...if you can't get it to work, I'll take it off your hand...love the bike!

hockeybike
11-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Are there any stiff links? That's usually the culprit when chains skip while
New, in my experience. If using a quick link, is it fully engaged?

christian
11-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Verry najs! You'll enjoy that when it's finished.

avalonracing
11-15-2011, 07:02 AM
I felt sorry for you until I saw the bike...now all I can think of is that you're a cheap sob for not getting a stand.

+1 :D

oldpotatoe
11-15-2011, 07:28 AM
I felt sorry for you until I saw the bike...now all I can think of is that you're a cheap sob for not getting a stand. btw, that looks like its my size...if you can't get it to work, I'll take it off your hand...love the bike!

Or not spending the relatively small amount of $ to have a decent wrench put the thing together, correctly, this wrench, hopes.

jr59
11-15-2011, 07:48 AM
Or not spending the relatively small amount of $ to have a decent wrench put the thing together, correctly, this wrench, hopes.

^This^

I don't get it. You spend 5,000 or so on a wonderful bike and don't spend a few extra on a pro putting it together. :no:

My time is more valuable than that. Yea I get the I did it myself. Great!
You wasted 11 hours and still aren't done! Sorry I have other things to do!

Oh yea; A cheese sandwich walks into the bar and the bartender says we don't serve real food here! :banana:

AngryScientist
11-15-2011, 07:54 AM
^This^

I don't get it. You spend 5,000 or so on a wonderful bike and don't spend a few extra on a pro putting it together. :no:

i totally disagree with this philosophy, sorry. learning to put a bike together is a valuable experience, and certainly not a waste of time to most people.

to the OP, its a beautiful bike, i'm sure after a good nights sleep, and a fresh look in the morning, things will come together. let us know how it turns out.

sg8357
11-15-2011, 07:59 AM

Part of the fun of cycling the hobby vs. cycling the sport is learning new stuff
like high profile canti's blow chunks, no matter how long the straddle cable is.
The thought of hi pro cantis + carbon rims is very amusing.
Note to op, remove or disable springs when setting up cantis.
Sell fru fru stem, buy work stand.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2011, 08:07 AM
Part of the fun of cycling the hobby vs. cycling the sport is learning new stuff
like high profile canti's blow chunks, no matter how long the straddle cable is.
Note to op, remove or disable springs when setting up cantis.
Sell fru fru stem, buy work stand.

Get TRP CX-9s or 8.4s if ya can find them.

avalonracing
11-15-2011, 08:10 AM
I did the same thing. I had owned tens of thousands of dollars of road bikes and had been racing for years before I bought my first real stand. I thought hey, that $150 could buy some new tires and and entry fee. After I finally bought a stand I thought to myself, "What the hell was I thinking! This thing is a must have!".

Get a stand, it WILL make you a better mechanic because you can see and feel the results of your adjustments as you make them.

bobswire
11-15-2011, 08:18 AM
i totally disagree with this philosophy, sorry. learning to put a bike together is a valuable experience, and certainly not a waste of time to most people.

to the OP, its a beautiful bike, i'm sure after a good nights sleep, and a fresh look in the morning, things will come together. let us know how it turns out.

+1, did my first build maybe 15 years ago,since then I've built up over 50 bikes.
Nothing gives me more satisfaction then putting a bike together and taking it out for a ride knowing it was put together with love, forethought and careful deliberation unlike some so called whizkid "mechanics" I've witnessed at bike shops.

Other stuff I've saved money on.
Quoted from Midas , Brake drums and pads $1300
Did it myself, $300 and three hours of my time.

Smog test fail. Problem EGR PO 401
Quoted $489 to fix problem which was EGR Valve and Sensor.
Did it myself, $124 parts and 1 hour of my time.

BUT I've always been a hands on kinda guy so I already had the tools I needed.

jr59
11-15-2011, 08:33 AM

11 hours and still needs more??

11 hours!!! That's a lot of my time.
Maybe you have all the free time in the world, I don't!

tuxbailey
11-15-2011, 08:41 AM
11 hours and still needs more??

11 hours!!! That's a lot of my time.
Maybe you have all the free time in the world, I don't!

Well, the journey is part of the fun, a total ownership experience :)

tuscanyswe
11-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Its not like this was my first build. I usually build up a bike with a good result in lets say a mere 4 hours or so.. This one took abit more.

I actually have access to a full mechanic-shop that i could have used but wrongly i decided to do it at home.

The chain was skipping because of the same issue as why the paul chainkeeper wouldent fit. A 39t is to small a ring to go on big spot on this crankset. So the chain picks up and lift a bit on the crankarm every revolution. Need a 42 to make it clear i guess.

Like others i too think that building up a bike is part of the fun. Infact a big part of it. Its not about the cash for me well that too but not the main reason. I usually enjoy building bikes and this was no different even tho i was abit more frustrated than usuall. Besides no matter how long this took i know it was done right and i learned a thing or 2.

Its all good, ill post some pics in the gallery laters :hello:

tuscanyswe
11-15-2011, 09:01 AM
Note to op, remove or disable springs when setting up cantis.Sell fru fru stem, buy work stand.

Thats a good tip. After more than a while searching for me 3rd hand i ducktaped the damn pads to the rim :)

oldpotatoe
11-15-2011, 09:04 AM
Its not like this was my first build. I usually build up a bike with a good result in lets say a mere 4 hours or so.. This one took abit more.

I actually have access to a full mechanic-shop that i could have used but wrongly i decided to do it at home.

The chain was skipping because of the same issue as why the paul chainkeeper wouldent fit. A 39t is to small a ring to go on big spot on this crankset. So the chain picks up and lift a bit on the crankarm every revolution. Need a 42 to make it clear i guess.

Like others i too think that building up a bike is part of the fun. Infact a big part of it. Its not about the cash for me well that too but not the main reason. I usually enjoy building bikes and this was no different even tho i was abit more frustrated than usuall. Besides no matter how long this took i know it was done right and i learned a thing or 2.

Its all good, ill post some pics in the gallery laters :hello:

Campagnolo crank? 130mm BCD, non Campagnolo? Doesn't matter, 39t should work on either.

tiretrax
11-15-2011, 09:05 AM
I think it's great that you work on your own bikes. I've been graciously allowed to use an empty workstand at my local Performance. No bike shop will do that. I've enjoyed becoming a better wrench so I can diagnose and fix things on the road for myself AND others. It's not the cheap way out - I've tipped the mechanics for their time (handing me tools) and oversight. I'm loyal to the shop, although they don't have a lot of the gear I want.

What I question is why you did it in the hallway and why you haven't bought a stand yet. I got one many, many years ago. It's moved with me many times, across the country and back, and is the one thing I'll have throughout the time I ride.

Fixed
11-15-2011, 09:10 AM
i am a lousy mechanic too
it goes with the rest of what i do
cheers

tuscanyswe
11-15-2011, 09:32 AM
I think it's great that you work on your own bikes. I've been graciously allowed to use an empty workstand at my local Performance. No bike shop will do that. I've enjoyed becoming a better wrench so I can diagnose and fix things on the road for myself AND others. It's not the cheap way out - I've tipped the mechanics for their time (handing me tools) and oversight. I'm loyal to the shop, although they don't have a lot of the gear I want.

What I question is why you did it in the hallway and why you haven't bought a stand yet. I got one many, many years ago. It's moved with me many times, across the country and back, and is the one thing I'll have throughout the time I ride.

Well i live 2 min away from the shop where i use to work and also the bikemessenger company i work with have a full mechanic shop not far away but i was eager when i got the fork yesterday, i just wanted to build straight away. The bike shop had lots of work so id be in the way hence the hallway.

Dumb but i wanted to c it ready! :)

Ill get a stand for these emergancies in the future!

Nooch
11-15-2011, 09:43 AM
I've gotta ask, from an aesthetics standpoint, are your housings yellow? If so, for me at least, it throws off the whole build (could just be my monitor at work, though).. (though coming from the import car scene in the early part of the millenium, yellow makes everything faster!)

Vancouverdave
11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Think of it this way--you'll be a better mechanic when it's over. And definitely get a stand. If I just worked on my own bikes it would be one of those Park team-mechanic types where the bike sits on it's bb and has one set of dropouts clamped in place, they allow you the best access to both sides of the bike.

tuscanyswe
11-15-2011, 10:18 AM
Campagnolo crank? 130mm BCD, non Campagnolo? Doesn't matter, 39t should work on either.

Non compact campy SR 11. Chain picks up on the carbon (where the crankbolt goes into the arm) ever so slightly. The 39t is on the 53 spot.

soulspinner
11-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Got a stand that no longer stays up. Drilled and put a skewer in it. Now one of the legs broke in the middle. Need a good 150 dollar one that wont break like my Ultimate did in 6 years......................... :crap:

OperaLover
11-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Been there. Sometimes its just best to go to bed and tackle the problem in the morning. At about 11 pm my wife will come out to my shop and gently or not so gently tell me, "quit the obsession and come to bed!" I will usually answer "I can fix this @#$%@ problem!" and stick it out for another 30 minutes before heeding her advice. 9 out of 10 times it will come together just fine after some sleep and stepping back from the problem. (That 1 out of 10 results in a repeat of the cycle!)

I, too, once I saw the MOOTS had a twinge of "HA HA! you can't get it together put it in a box and mail it to me!"

Seriously, give it a rest. And yes, canti's are a bitch to set up. Wait 'til they are all grimy and you can't get rid of the squeal!

Best of luck on what will be an AWESOME build.

oldpotatoe
11-15-2011, 11:01 AM
Non compact campy SR 11. Chain picks up on the carbon (where the crankbolt goes into the arm) ever so slightly. The 39t is on the 53 spot.

?? Single ring? Put the ring on the small position for chainline. The bulge in the crank is bigger than the spacer between the rings. Better chainline also.

Even if you use a 42t, put it on the inside.

tuscanyswe
11-15-2011, 11:54 AM
?? Single ring? Put the ring on the small position for chainline. The bulge in the crank is bigger than the spacer between the rings. Better chainline also.

Yes thats what im doing now. I just think it looks poor. Im bikevain!

DRZRM
11-15-2011, 12:46 PM
One more voice saying that learning to wrench is half of the fun of biking. I finally learned to build wheels this past year, if I ever bother getting a head-set press, I think I'll be totally self sufficient.

Hot bike BTW, I love those seats, very comfortable.

^This^

Oh yea; A cheese sandwich walks into the bar and the bartender says we don't serve real food here! :banana:

tuscanyswe
11-15-2011, 01:58 PM
One more voice saying that learning to wrench is half of the fun of biking. I finally learned to build wheels this past year, if I ever bother getting a head-set press, I think I'll be totally self sufficient.

Hot bike BTW, I love those seats, very comfortable.

I got all the tools incl hs press and some other tools i dont know what they do but no stand at home.

Ive only ridden around the block on the zoncolan so far but it feels promising. I like slrs and ariones but one is always looking for that perfect saddle. Maybe this is it ?

sg8357
11-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Yes thats what im doing now. I just think it looks poor. Im bikevain!

http://www.acecosportgroup.com/shop/cross-ring-guard.html

DRZRM
11-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Yeah, I gave up on Ariones for my road bikes, I'm keeping my last one to try on a MTB.

I got all the tools incl hs press and some other tools i dont know what they do but no stand at home.

Ive only ridden around the block on the zoncolan so far but it feels promising. I like slrs and ariones but one is always looking for that perfect saddle. Maybe this is it ?

fogrider
11-16-2011, 01:21 AM
don't get me wrong, I a good wrench is hard to come by...I'm lucky to have a few near me. but it is fun to do the work myself and most of time I collect parts over time and I assemble a bike over time. I also like to know that all the bolts are put together with grease, that there is plenty of grease in the cables. and since I'm doing my own work, I can work around when I going to ride.