PDA

View Full Version : I've been slimed...

Dekonick
07-28-2005, 12:47 PM
No - seriously

what tubes do yall suggest to protect v.s. flats? I am living dangerously atm with michelin pro race tires (that I took off last year cuz of flats) but have some conti ultra 2000's I could put on. A local shop suggested some specialized tires with slime tubes...

I dunno but I was ALMOST (whew!) late to work today - If I had flatted I would have been. (baby had a blow-out this AM - changed him and decided I could still make it to work if I rode hard v.s. driving)

options I have heard:
armodillo's (have a pair on one bike right now but they do ride like crap)
conti ultra 2000's (wire bead v.s. folding?)
michelin carbon
ultra gator's

-and- for tubes
cheap butyl tubes v.s. slime tubes (ie Nashbar or Performance) v.s. others

Commuters out there? I am listening!

Ken Robb
07-28-2005, 12:56 PM
I like UltraGatorskins--they ride well and I've had no flats riding on crappy urban, glass-strewn streets. I got rid of my Armadillos--they rode like concrete tires.

Too Tall
07-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Do what Matt "HeWhoKnowsHisChit" Barkley recommends and use a Mr. Tuffy inside your good tires.

Bradford
07-28-2005, 02:08 PM
Do what Matt "HeWhoKnowsHisChit" Barkley recommends and use a Mr. Tuffy inside your good tires.

Any body have any experience with Kevlar Spin Skins?

After flating on the front tire of my tandem I've wanted to add some protection to my Gator Skins, but I don't know which product is better, the Spin Skins for the Mr. Tuffy. Any first hand knoweldge is appreciated.

alembical
07-28-2005, 02:19 PM
Bradford,
Not much help in the way of a comparison, but I just wanted to say that I used Mr. Tuffy's for years with great results. So long as your pressure was adequate, no flats....sure they ride bad, but so did my loaded down commuter bike to begin with. I would definitley not put them on a fun bike, nor even a touring bike, but for commuting, they worked well.

Alembical

PsyDoc
07-28-2005, 03:14 PM
I believe the Kevlar Spin Skins have a life of like 1,000 - 2,000 miles and then you are supposed to change them. I bought mine from Performance, which does not mention this "feature," and was very surprised to read it on the package. I called the company and the woman I spoke with was shocked that I road over 2,000 miles a year. I never did end up using them and sold them. Prior to that, and since, I have always used Mr. Tuffy's and I doubt I will stray again. The Tuffy's weigh 5.5 ounces for a pair (155 grams) compared to the Spin Skins that weigh roughly 70 grams for the pair.

CalfeeFly
07-28-2005, 04:42 PM
Slime makes a Slime Lite Road Tube now. It is 117 grams. I'd think it would be the best solution to a lack of nuisance flats. I'm going to try them on my winter/bad weather bike when I get it built up. No hurry...I just broke my back and crushed 4 toes in a car accident plus I'm sick.

Take care.

PsyDoc
07-28-2005, 05:07 PM
Holy crap! Are you going to be o.k. to ride before 2006 rolls around? I wish you the best in recovering from this.

NateM
07-28-2005, 06:18 PM
Try these longer lasting spinskins from cambriabike http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=9769

I use them with Mich latex tubes, Pro Race 2 25's,rolly polly 28's,no flats this year. I commute in and out of NYC year round.The tires still get glass in them but it doesnt get through...............not yet

Dekonick
07-28-2005, 09:00 PM
Slime makes a Slime Lite Road Tube now. It is 117 grams. I'd think it would be the best solution to a lack of nuisance flats. I'm going to try them on my winter/bad weather bike when I get it built up. No hurry...I just broke my back and crushed 4 toes in a car accident plus I'm sick.

Take care.

Yeowwww

glad you are alive!

hope you are ok.