PDA

View Full Version : November 13 Ride Report + smiles...

konstantkarma
11-13-2011, 07:35 PM
Beautiful day today in the Baltimore/Northern Maryland area today. 52 degrees and sunny. Only 15 miles on the Northern Central Railroad Trail...hauling the trail-a-bike with my 7 year old in tow.

Anytime someone passed us, he wanted to chase them down. I think he has a future in racing :). The other rider shown in the 1st pic is Toucan. He goes everywhere with us!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-fgnMHuvhhac/TsA3_yvg2NI/AAAAAAAACuI/fd5NFo4k32o/s640/IMG_9854.JPG?gl=US

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-au1MTITQdFQ/TsA4I3ZLMLI/AAAAAAAACuQ/AXX_jBrQFh4/s640/IMG_9867.JPG?gl=US

alpsantos
11-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Nice! Love to see little ones out riding. Great day to ride in the DC area. :)

Jack Brunk
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM
30 miles on the Black Sheep SS in the Santa Monica Mountains. Single track Trails were tacky and empty. Love riding SS on days like this. Weather was cloudy and almost 70 degrees. Lot's of beautiful ladies out riding there 29ers today.

konstantkarma
11-14-2011, 08:59 AM
30 miles on the Black Sheep SS in the Santa Monica Mountains. Single track Trails were tacky and empty. Love riding SS on days like this. Weather was cloudy and almost 70 degrees. Lot's of beautiful ladies out riding there 29ers today.

That sounds nice. I love tacky singletrack. Pine needles are my favorite surface. quiet and grippy!

AngryScientist
11-14-2011, 09:07 AM
very cool.

can i ask - how old was the little guy when he was able to ride on that thing?

did you have a trailer or something else before this?

looks like a great time, smiles all around.

cmg
11-14-2011, 09:09 AM
it was in the 70's here. we were doing doing several laps in Olmos park and a squirrel made a kamikazee run. Hit the deep dish back rim of the rider that was in front of me and bounced off, didn't go through the spokes, otherwise we would of had a pile up. we going at a pretty good clip and he came out from behind a hedge. a little faster and he would have been through her spokes, a little slower and he would been through mine. Scary. nice days ride after that.

konstantkarma
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM
very cool.

can i ask - how old was the little guy when he was able to ride on that thing?

did you have a trailer or something else before this?

looks like a great time, smiles all around.
I think he was 4.5 years old on his first ride. He had to build up stamina, and I had to make sure he didn't fall asleep at first. The first couple of rides were maybe 4-5 miles. We have a Burley trailer and he always fell asleep in that. For now, his little brother, a small 5 year old, rides in the trailer attached to mom's bike. I haul the Trail-a-bike, which can be quite challenging with the little guy leaning right and left. Good way to work on you handling skills!

tiretrax
11-14-2011, 09:32 AM
it was in the 70's here. we were doing doing several laps in Olmos park and a squirrel made a kamikazee run. Hit the deep dish back rim of the rider that was in front of me and bounced off, didn't go through the spokes, otherwise we would of had a pile up. we going at a pretty good clip and he came out from behind a hedge. a little faster and he would have been through her spokes, a little slower and he would been through mine. Scary. nice days ride after that.
What's your route through OP?

cmg
11-14-2011, 11:27 AM
route is along east contour dr and paseo encinal st. several laps, then back to the OP loop go under 281 to devine rd/JM to La Jara blvd.

Fixed
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
cool picture
my son started riding that way also
by 12 he was a 2x state champ.
i do a lot of my workouts on the parcourse
nice to it
cheers

xjoex
11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
Looks like fun KonstantKarma.

We had dry trails and warm temps. Which means I had to ride single track. I got back out on the geared mountain bike and it was a blast.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-mweJcR5-ZM4/Tr7-1-gwebI/AAAAAAAAETY/XxCtTcAyeBQ/s912/IMG_2917.JPG

-Joe

konstantkarma
11-14-2011, 03:37 PM
Sweet picture!

Peter B
11-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I woke today with a serious vision problem. I just couldn't see going in to work on such a nice fall day!

Yesterday's ride was cut short by a broken pedal (followed a dozen miles of one-legged drills) so I decided to play hookey today and go back for some hair-of-the-dog.

67 miles on quiet roads on my new eBay Teesdale. 6,200' at 76" felt just right.

Dave Wages
11-14-2011, 07:30 PM
I have the pleasure of riding in So Cal this week with my brother. A nice change of pace from the quickly approaching Wisconsin winter. I did a ride report here; Ellis blog (http://blog.elliscycles.com/)

Attached is a photo of myself and my brother at the top of Balcom Canyon outside Santa Paula.

Looking forward to the upcoming week, we're riding Rose Valley tomorrow, and then we're heading up to the Bay Area for the Singlespeed Cross World Championships on Sun the 20th. James Lalonde will be racing his Ellis and representing the upper Midwest, go James!

Cheers,
Dave

beeatnik
11-14-2011, 07:50 PM

I've saw a couple of those beautiful ladies in on Sunset in Brentwood. Two life partners raced by me on S-Works 29ers. The larger one had a body Lee Haney would have envied.