PDA

View Full Version : Assos winter clothes - jacket and tights

thenewguy11
11-13-2011, 09:02 AM
Does anyone have experience with the Assos fugu jacket and tights? I'm willing to shell out the rather extreme price if they are hands down better than anything out on the market. I'm from Southern CA but live in Denver and the cold doesn't agree with me. But I'm curious if there are comparable products on the market from Pearl or Rapha, etc?

1centaur
11-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Most who have had them will say they are the warmest jacket, but that either you don't need that warm a jacket at more than 20 degrees or that you can achieve a more flexible and equivalent warmth with the right layers. See Ti Designs' recent thread about the use of various layers.

One thing not often said but which is a good tip: if it's the first 10 minutes of cold riding that steers you to the warmest jacket, try a lighter combo but do a little light exercise before you leave the house.

I have a Fugu and it's very warm, but I have gravitated to the Castelli radiation jackets down to the mid 30s with just a single base layer and I'm a naturally cold guy (native Californian) in Massachusetts. I think with a quality base layer and a mid layer and a quality windproof outer layer you can take care of Denver cold, as long as your extremities are also taken care of.

On bib tights, the Gore upper end stuff seems perfect to me. Completely windproof everywhere in the front is vital for very cold days - no strategically placed panels for me.

Ti Designs
11-13-2011, 09:38 AM
If I could get past the price tag, I would own an Assos jacket or two - and matching tights too. This is all very individual, but for me the Assos stuff has a number of things going for it. First, they get wind blocking and ventilation. Second, they make clothing for cyclists in cyclist sizes and shapes (muscular legs, thin waist, big lungs...). There's no question about the quality either...

BillG
11-13-2011, 09:43 AM
Assos Wind Blocker tights are the best tights I've ever worn for the cold and worth every penny. I love my Fugujack as well. I also live in Massachusetts.

CPP
11-13-2011, 11:02 AM
In my opinion, Assos makes the best functional cycling clothing; period. The fit is tailored to a cyclist in a riding position and when you are riding with Assos stuff, you don't even think about your clothing. It's like a second skin. An Example: I have a Habu 5 jacket ( cold weather jacket) The warmth is high, the volume of the jacket low. When I'm standing up, the jacket feels tight around my chest. When I'm riding, the jacket feels a part of me. There is no baggy material across my chest when my hands are on the bars. Again, just my opinion, but Assos stuff is well worth the dough

RedRider
11-13-2011, 11:31 AM
a

happycampyer
11-13-2011, 12:24 PM
There have been a number of discussions regarding the best winter jacket and the fuguJack in particular:

best winter cycling jacket? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=81299&page=1&pp=15)
Assos fuguJack (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=59468)
Winter wear (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=55299&page=1&pp=15)

The things that distinguishes the fuguJack from all the others I've tried are: it can be worn with a single baselayer at temps at which other jackets require two; like all Assos garments it is great at windblock/insulation/breathability; and as others have noted it is cut to fit in a riding position. The built-in balaclava is a nice feature, although it would be better if there were a flap of fabric behind the zipper.

I have the Castelli Radiation jacket as well, and as I noted in one of the threads above, in terms of warmth I find that it falls somewhere between the 851 and the fuguJack. I find the Castelli jacket to be much more fragile—the radiation liner is starting to flake, and the retention straps break easily (fragility is a problem with a lot of Castelli garments, so it's not unique to the Radiation jacket).

Regarding price, at the end of the season it's not uncommon to see the fuguJack marked down to a price approaching the 851—that's the time to buy it.

Another small detail—there are two variations of the fuguJack, depending on the production run. One with the center back panel made out of airBlock fabric (and no center pocket), and another with the center back panel made out of the fleece fabric (and a center pocket made out of the same material).

The tights with airBlock work extremely well as well.

verticaldoug
11-13-2011, 12:52 PM
You pay up front for Assos quality but the garments seem to last longer than any other cycling garments I own.

I use the Assos Bib, knickers and then the Winter LL tights without chamois.
When it is just cold, I just wear my regular Assos bibs under the tights. When it gets real cold, I switch and wear the Assos knickers under the tights. The Fugu tights look nice, but it may be a bit of overkill for all but the coldest days. With the chamois less Winter tights, you can probably keep it more versatile with other pieces. With the Knickers and Winter tights, I can ride in single digits near zero.

Realistically, your hands and feet will turn to iceblocks before your body

Pete Serotta
11-13-2011, 12:55 PM
My friend in NJ has one and also an HSG. Both he is using with the weather they have been getting. IT is a very warm jacket but $$$$$ :bike:

PETE

rwsaunders
11-13-2011, 02:42 PM
I purchased an 851 jacket a while back and it's my go to from 30-45 degrees. The fit is spot on and it just works.

Lionel
11-13-2011, 02:50 PM
I purchased an 851 jacket a while back and it's my go to from 30-45 degrees. The fit is spot on and it just works.
Exactly. +100.

Grant McLean
11-13-2011, 03:38 PM
The Fugu tights look nice, but it may be a bit of overkill for all but the coldest days.

Agreed, I went with the 716 bib pant, thinking i would get more use from it,
given the temp range is more likely for when i'll be riding. They has some stretch shell
material on the upper leg, and is just a little thicker than their 607 bib tight,
but not nuclear like the Fugu.

I've worn them from 32 to about 40, and they have that unmistakeable assos
feel like you're not restricted in motion, and would match up nicely with an
851 jacket, or the replacement for it, the new Bonka6 jacket.

-g

godfrey1112000
11-13-2011, 04:19 PM
a

ditto

and the good news is if you take care of them they will last a long time

wgp
11-14-2011, 05:30 AM
Count me in with the others - LOVE my Assos pieces. No doubt they are expensive, but worth it. I have both an Airjack and a Fugu, and I only use a baselayer under either one - nothing else needed.

And, as Happycamper said, if you wait till spring you can pick up the Fugu for half the cost. I did that a few years ago, and then picked up the winter tights in the same manner. Doesn't help for this winter, but if you can wait you may find some real bargains (relative to their usual price!).

fatallightning
11-14-2011, 12:02 PM
i have the older radiation, mine a full length radiation liner, i.e. sleeves, etc. the new ones have the 3 panels, one for the back, one on each side of the chest, as well as removeable sleeves and removeable balaclava. with a long sleeve wool base layer, i wore my radiation into the high 20s and could still sweat. the fugu, i think, personally is overkill for most. castelli does a nice soft shell windstopper jacket for 200 (the stelvio), paired with a decent long sleeve base, i would ride into the the 30s all day long. i do think, though, that assos fit and finish is unparalleled. if an airjack works, maybe that. the windstopper panels are limited to the front of the jacket and the leading sleeve edges.

m.skeen
11-14-2011, 12:28 PM
It's been a long time since I bought my Assos Mille bibs and they are still going strong. I'm getting ready to buy some of the LL.607 tights without chamois. Anyone have experience with these?

Grant McLean
11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
It's been a long time since I bought my Assos Mille bibs and they are still going strong. I'm getting ready to buy some of the LL.607 tights without chamois. Anyone have experience with these?

I have the version with the S5 chamois. I love the fit, there is lots of
compression, and the range of motion is great. I went for the single
layer set up, i'm done with multiple layers and bibs.

-g