PDA

View Full Version : OT: Help me end the scourge of STS--Stinky Tent Syndrome

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2011, 02:09 PM
Yes, it's embarrassing to admit, but I have a bad case of STS . . . Stinky Tent Syndrome. And I do NOT mean the definition in the urban dictionary!

I have a North Face VE-24 purchased in 1986. It's been a great tent, used lightly, still in great shape and has always been kept in dry storage. But it literally stinks, both tent and fly. It's an odd odor, definitely not mildew, and the nylon is still in great shape. There's no discoloration, fungus, etc. The odor is kind of a cross between bad breath and passed gas.

Has anyone else dealt with this? Normally I'd use do a wash with mild bleach solution to get rid of this, but I can't believe that would be too good for he nylon in this case.

Many thanks for any suggestions . . .This thing cost $500 in '86 and is expedition grade. I'd hate to have to toss it!

BBD

charliedid
11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
You just need to live with it :(

cp43
11-11-2011, 02:28 PM
A friend of mine washes his tents in a clean garbage can, with just a little laundry detergent. Use warm water, and stir it around with broom stick or similar. I'd say use whatever detergent you use on your cycling clothes. Rinse well after washing. I can't say for sure that it'll get rid of the smell, but it won't hurt the tent, so it's worth a try.

Good luck :beer:

Chris

toaster
11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Perfect for Occupy Oakland, or Los Angeles, or wherever!

charliedid
11-11-2011, 02:30 PM
BTW I have tried MiraZyme and it did not work. We used to sell it and some pople claimed it worked...

http://www.mcnett.com/MiraZyme-Enzyme-Based-Odor-Eliminator-P55.aspx

gdw
11-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Try sponging it down with a mix of vinegar and water, 3 to 1 water to vineger. Set it up to dry and air out. Let it sit for a day and repeat if needed. Good luck.

Jack Brunk
11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
I'd contact the North Face and speak to their techincal people on the matter. I'm sure they've came across this before.

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2011, 02:49 PM
. . . with the weak vinegar solution? Sponging down the whole things inside AND out sounds like a real PITA.

BBD

Try sponging it down with a mix of vinegar and water, 3 to 1 water to vineger. Set it up to dry and air out. Let it sit for a day and repeat if needed. Good luck.

BobbyJones
11-11-2011, 02:53 PM
Pick better camping partners- ones who brush their teeth and don't fart in the tent.

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Pick better camping partners- ones who brush their teeth and don't fart in the tent.

I knew this one was coming sooner or later! :rolleyes:

BBD

BobbyJones
11-11-2011, 03:04 PM
You set it up... i just hit it over the net.

Seriously, call NF. Keep in mind though that 25 years is a long time for 1986 nylon.

maunahaole
11-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Instead of sponging it down, maybe try making up some 3:1 mix and put it into a garden sprayer and apply it that way - you can normally adjust the flow so you can get a good soak on there.

chismog
11-11-2011, 03:07 PM
Aw man, now I am thinking about that smell. Ewwwww.

Unfortunately, it is just a feature of old tents. It is caused by the breakdown of the urethane waterproof coating applied to the fly and tent. Vaguely vomit-ish, definitely nasty. Very understandable why you want to address it.

You can strip off the old stuff and re-coat the tent with something like Nikwax, but that's a huge pain and the tent may never perform quite the same.

Soap may well damage the coating further, although it might help with the smell a bit. Leftover soap residue will attract dirt too.

That *was* a nice tent, and spendy. But it is quite amazing what you can get for a lot less these days- we bought an super high quality 10x14 family tent with insane features for $150. Made in China, of course. If you are truly outfitting for an expedition, then you should just get a new tent. The overall cost will be minimal and you'll get modern performance. And your buddies won't hate you for making them sleep in the stinky.

IFRider
11-11-2011, 03:23 PM
I have a North Face VE-24 purchased in 1986. It's been a great tent, used lightly, still in great shape and has always been kept in dry storage. But it literally stinks, both tent and fly. It's an odd odor, definitely not mildew, and the nylon is still in great shape. There's no discoloration, fungus, etc. The odor is kind of a cross between bad breath and passed gas.
BBD

I have a number of tents and other equipment from that era that has the same problem you are talking about. I spoke with a friend in the outdoor industry that is a designer and it is the waterproof lining that is the problem. My Moss Tent that had the problem primarily on the floor and also manifested itself in the lining become tacky. I have dealt with it to some degree with baby powder (cured the stickyness) and storing the tent loosely packed. Also set up in the sun for a couple of days and might even try some fabreeze or something.

On a Wild Things ice climbing pack I have the snow sleeve at the top has it really bad. It has gotten to the point of starting to de-laminate a little.

If you can isolate it to the floor, you could likely get a good repair person to replace the floor. Moss did that for my tent just before the sold the company off to MSR.

BTW, the VE-24 might have been the most important design in mountaineering tent history. That thing was bomb proof and roomy (thank you Buckminster Fuller). Somewhere I have a picture from a winter traverse of the presidential range in NH. We 3, set up camp near the Lake of the Clouds hut in February and camped out in -30 weather and a crystal clear night sky ... until the weather shifted before sunrise and the wind was so bad you could not stand.

roydyates
11-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Instead of sponging it down, maybe try making up some 3:1 mix and put it into a garden sprayer and apply it that way - you can normally adjust the flow so you can get a good soak on there.
Is it coincidence that you (maunahole) identify yourself as a "Dutch Oven" rather than, say, a "Registered User"?

maunahaole
11-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Is it coincidence that you (maunahole) identify yourself as a "Dutch Oven" rather than, say, a "Registered User"?

It is a reference to my mad skills in the sack.

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2011, 03:39 PM
Don't make me lock my own thread! :crap:

BBD

learningtoride
11-11-2011, 03:48 PM

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-11-2011, 03:51 PM
It is a reference to my mad skills in the sack.
I thought a dutch oven was .......never mind.

learningtoride
11-11-2011, 03:53 PM

BumbleBeeDave
11-11-2011, 03:59 PM
Please take it from someone who's raised two boys- Who are now in their twenties and still haven't completely outgrown teenage funk- there is a solution my friend, OZIUM. You can purchase this wonder product at any auto parts store and even some drug stores etc. It's a spray and get a big bottle- set up your tent and spray the holy h*ll out of it- then leave it to air for about an hour- should cure all that funk. :beer:

http://www.atmosphereproducts.com/product_images/ozium/index.html

Ever used this on nylon? I recognize this tent ain't gonna last forever, but I'd like to get the funk out without destroying it in order to save it.

BBD

learningtoride
11-11-2011, 04:03 PM

learningtoride
11-11-2011, 04:05 PM

gdw
11-11-2011, 04:29 PM
Go ahead and use the garbage pail if it's more convenient. 3-1 is pretty strong and hopefully will work. If that fails some folks have had good luck with commercial douch :eek: products.

charliedid
11-11-2011, 04:33 PM
I have a number of tents and other equipment from that era that has the same problem you are talking about. I spoke with a friend in the outdoor industry that is a designer and it is the waterproof lining that is the problem. My Moss Tent that had the problem primarily on the floor and also manifested itself in the lining become tacky. I have dealt with it to some degree with baby powder (cured the stickyness) and storing the tent loosely packed. Also set up in the sun for a couple of days and might even try some fabreeze or something.

On a Wild Things ice climbing pack I have the snow sleeve at the top has it really bad. It has gotten to the point of starting to de-laminate a little.

If you can isolate it to the floor, you could likely get a good repair person to replace the floor. Moss did that for my tent just before the sold the company off to MSR.

BTW, the VE-24 might have been the most important design in mountaineering tent history. That thing was bomb proof and roomy (thank you Buckminster Fuller). Somewhere I have a picture from a winter traverse of the presidential range in NH. We 3, set up camp near the Lake of the Clouds hut in February and camped out in -30 weather and a crystal clear night sky ... until the weather shifted before sunrise and the wind was so bad you could not stand.

Exactly!

indyrider
11-11-2011, 05:13 PM
Time to toss and buy a Moss...Completely bomber!

nm87710
11-11-2011, 05:23 PM
Time to toss and buy a Moss...Completely bomber!

I just tossed a VE-23. Not worth the hassle to clean and de-stink.

bike22
11-11-2011, 06:19 PM
polyurethane (used for waterproofing nylon) as it ages deteriorates and off-gasses the smell that you are describing. to me it smells like sewage.

Steve in SLO
11-11-2011, 07:09 PM
As others have said, it's the K-kote waterproofing. I have had some success with an overnight soak in the tub with a citrus dishwashing detergent. Both sides of the nylon must be wet and soaked. The non-K-kote areas will de-stink if left to air out.

cetuximab
11-11-2011, 07:45 PM
I bought some older used drybags that produced a similar smell. Tried everything: rinseing, washing, scrubbing, different cleaning solutions. It is a lot easier to scrub out a drybag than a large tent. Nothing worked. It is the waterproof coating. I think the only solution is a newer tent.

weisan
11-12-2011, 04:50 AM
try baking soda and charcoal. Pack them in for a few days, and allow them to absorb the odor.

dekindy
11-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Good grief, enough already, stop it, throw that 25-year old tent away and buy a new one! :eek: