PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience with an Online Master's Program?

Nooch
11-11-2011, 08:20 AM
So I've been doing some research into getting my master's online, as I have been hard pressed to find a program locally (looking at a master's in couseling with a specification in Sport Psychology). A few google searches turned up programs from John F. Kennedy college in California, and Capella University. My concern is with accreditation, and Capella has some pretty ugly threads about themselves floating around the internet.

So, does anyone happen to have any ideas? (or if you know of any programs that can work around a standard 8-5 full-time work schedule in New Jersey, I'm up for those too!)

majorpat
11-11-2011, 08:28 AM
I got my MPA through an online program through a traditional university.

Beware the "for profit" colleges that are out there. Many military members are being preyed on due to the large amount of money avilable to them via the Post 9/11 GI Bill and many of the non-traditional, online only schools are fleecing the hell out of some of my boys.

Just be careful, a traditional college with an online program will serve you best in the long run but may involve more work, cost more and be tougher to get accepted into. Imagine that.

Pat

echelon_john
11-11-2011, 09:05 AM
Hey Drew,
A couple of thoughts.

First, bear in mind that virtually any good counselling program is going to involve internships & supervised practice, so at a certain point you'll probably have to modify your job in a major way or leave altogether to complete that portion of your training.

If you have any flexibility in your work schedule, check out low residency programs at more reputable institutions. Many have situations where you go on weekends, then for several 1 week+ blocks, and complete some components online/remotely.

I have a close friend who just completed his PhD at Antioch in NH who's a cyclist; if you want me to put you in touch with him shoot me a PM. As a fresh grad he might be able to offer you some perspective on the process.

Cheers,
JC

Nooch
11-11-2011, 10:26 AM
Actually just located a program at Seton Hall that might work out well for me. Going to take some time to put things in motion but at least the wheels are turning... figuring out the logistics is going to be a bitch..

achurch
11-11-2011, 11:03 AM
+ 1 on sticking with the traditional colleges. Some of the newly emergent colleges/universities that are hyper-focused on online education are turning out not be very good programs. It is hard to tell the good from the bad, and, since many people recognize that some of the programs are bad, the value of the good ones is being eroded.
I managed to complete a part time "executive" MBA program at UNH about 10 years ago. It was set-up as a Friday afternoon evening/Saturday all day every other week for classes. I was lucky enough to have an employer allow me the flexibility to do it. While I don't think the program was as good as a full time experience would have been, I learned a lot.
Good luck!

bart998
11-11-2011, 11:11 PM
Azusa Pacific is a great University here in California.. sent all my kids there. Have a new online degree program.

fourflys
11-11-2011, 11:17 PM
not sure if they have what you need but I'm currently going to University of Phoenix (ground campus) and have had some really great classes... not sure a traditional school would be any better... I have a friend who got her MBA with Phoenix online and said it was quite doable...

with regard to non-traditional schools... there are really great ones out there and really crap ones... my biggest suggestion is do your OWN research and talk to people who actually attended... most of the negative stuff about Phoenix on the web are from people who never actually attended the university...

Good Luck!