PDA

View Full Version : Helpful people

jgspin
11-10-2011, 11:37 AM
We read about cycling accidents, road rage, and drivers buzzing cyclists. Well how about helpful and nice drivers? After a hard ride on Tuesday, I did a harder hillier ride on Wednesday. I pushed the pace and dropped some of the guys on a steeper part of the ride and repeated that a few times. I split from the group and rode back to my car. Going up a 6% grade I pushed a little harder. I got out of the saddle and as I approached a dogleg right switchback around 12%, I cramped big time both quads and hams at the same time. My legs froze and I could not pedal at all. I was able to unclip the left as I slowly fell backwards.

So here I was precariously lying on a narrow 12% curve with the bike between my legs and I could not unclip my right foot. Luckily there were no cars going up as I tried in vain to release my foot. A newer pickup was going down the road and I heard it slowdown and stop. The lady shouts and asks me if I was ok. I said "Can you give me a hand?" So two older ladies maybe sisters who looked no younger than 75 walked up and helped me. It took a couple of minutes but the younger one was able to unclip my shoe and I was finally able to unstraddle my bike. She lifted the bike off of me and was surprised and said " Ooh, this is light." They tried to help me up but I told them I needed to sit to bend my legs and I was finally able to stop the cramps.

So with both ladies' hands on my shoulders one of them said a prayer for my fast recovery and safe return to my destination. That was a welcome surprise for me and made me choke a little bit. I thanked them as they went back to their truck. "Are you sure you don't want us to call for help?" I said I was fine. Then the older one said to the other, " I don't even have a cellphone. I'm such a dinosaur."

Although I had to walk up a couple of short grades I was able to ride to my car slowly until my cramps finally went away. Luckily, there were a lot of descents.

Fixed
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM
it is winter take it easy
the old gals thought you looked like their son or grandson .
they probably would have done anything to help you
cheers

merlinmurph
11-10-2011, 11:47 AM
Very nice story, glad things turned out well.

Murph

jgspin
11-10-2011, 12:08 PM
it is winter take it easy
the old gals thought you looked like their son or grandson .
they probably would have done anything to help you
cheers

Yes they were very nice. And with their prayer they said "Please help this young man" which made me chuckle a bit. Except for an occasional sprinkle, it's very nice weather-wise in San Diego so it's pretty much all-year riding. Plus I'm trying to get ready for a century with 10k of climbing coming up in December.

FlashUNC
11-10-2011, 12:19 PM
Once in college, I was out on a solo ride in farm country near campus. Got a flat and pulled into a nearby gas station to change the tire, and the tube I had in the seat bag was totally hosed too. (My own fault for not checking the tube and just chucking it in there.)

My roommate was gone for the weekend, and the few phone calls I made from the pay phone to try to track someone down to come pick me up were fruitless. I was contemplating walking a lot of miles back to campus when a woman in a minivan pulled up and asked if I need help. She offers to give me a lift back to town and didn't really give me time to say no. Turns out, her son was a cyclist and "If he were stranded, I'd want someone else to do the same thing for him."

thwart
11-10-2011, 12:35 PM
This probably reflects on my lack of preparation (or something), but I've had 4 rides home from strangers over the past several years since I've returned to cycling.

All insisted on going out of their way to drop me off at home. One involved at least a 20 mile extra loop for the Good Samaritan... the man wouldn't take any gas money, but I was able to persuade him to take a bottle of wine.

Lots of good folks out there. Lots of jerks too. From my perspective, the former way outnumber the latter.

miguel
11-10-2011, 12:40 PM
21ambassadors.com

i'm one of these folks.

yesterday i fixed a lady's flat after she had run through dog poo, cut her finger on the glass in the tire.

then i stepped in the dog poo.

fourflys
11-10-2011, 03:26 PM
21ambassadors.com

i'm one of these folks.

yesterday i fixed a lady's flat after she had run through dog poo, cut her finger on the glass in the tire.

then i stepped in the dog poo.

that looks like a very cool program... good on you!