PDA

View Full Version : why no curved Thomson seatposts?

d_douglas
11-08-2011, 07:22 AM
I know this has been asked before, but WHY?! Thomson makes the best basic seatposts around, but their setback model is an eyesore to me unless the bend occurs right at the seatube lug/joint.

I love the curve of Moots posts, but truly love the affordability and reliability of Thomson posts - why can't the Moots aesthetic be combined into Thomson engineering? If they can 'bend' a post, they can 'curve' a post - it is all the same, in my opinion.

Am I missing something?

dave thompson
11-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Just a guess, but maybe their extrusion process doesn't allow for a curved tube.

thendenjeck
11-08-2011, 07:29 AM
of course they can curve a post, and I don't believe it's "bent", it's more likely machined that way or welded of two pieces. bent metal would be curved. seems to me that it's most likely an aesthetic decision on the part of the company to set the style apart. i always thought their stems could be more elegant and less tech looking as well.

thendenjeck
11-08-2011, 07:31 AM
Just a guess, but maybe their extrusion process doesn't allow for a curved tube.

again, i could be wrong on this, but i think they are machined and not extruded. and even curved tubes are extruded straight first and then curved.

d_douglas
11-08-2011, 07:34 AM
To clarify, I don't think a bend and a curve are the same thing, but we are living in the era of science - surely a curve is possible.

I know this has been asked before, but WHY?! Thomson makes the best basic seatposts around, but their setback model is an eyesore to me unless the bend occurs right at the seatube lug/joint.

I love the curve of Moots posts, but truly love the affordability and reliability of Thomson posts - why can't the Moots aesthetic be combined into Thomson engineering? If they can 'bend' a post, they can 'curve' a post - it is all the same, in my opinion.

Am I missing something?

ultraman6970
11-08-2011, 07:46 AM
All their stuff is CNC'ed, doubt with the way they produce they could go more curved as it is right now. Simplicity is the key work with them.

Ok for the one that dont agree hehehe... yes they could curved, u can do whatever with cnc the issue is how in the world are u going to hollow the curved part in a cheap way?? IMO probably u can't so if they cant then their super light seatposts wont be no more because the curved part has to stay in 1 piece.

I believe all the old stuff like campy seatposts were made by casting. At some point sure got too expensive and thats why we dont see shimano neither campy seatposts not more.

merckx
11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
Better yet, why not re-design the head to allow setback? Curved or bent shafts are MP.

ultraman6970
11-08-2011, 07:47 AM
ALways wondered why they dont do that, everybody doest it. Costs?

Kirk Pacenti
11-08-2011, 07:56 AM
The posts are made from extruded blanks. The extrusion looks just like the head of the post. That is, the 'lobes' that hold the hardware in place run the entire length of the shaft. The extruded blanks come in two sizes to keep weight of the finished product down. Posts with a diameter of 30.2 and below made from one blank, 30.9 and above made from a larger blank. They then CNC the diameter to the desired OD.

After the posts are turned on the lathe, the offset posts are likely bent in a press, over a die... It probably takes all of 15 seconds to load into the press and bend them. S-bend chainstays and seatstays are done much the same way. It's an effective, albeit less than attractive bend. One would think they could do something a little more graceful if they wanted too. It would be hard to believe it's beyond them; they have an amazing facility...

Cheers,
KP

SamIAm
11-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Better yet, why not re-design the head to allow setback? Curved or bent shafts are MP.

This!

d_douglas
11-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Hi Kirk:

Yes, I figured that, but with way more detail than I could offer :)

Well, since you are an industry insider, why don't you lay the pressure on and get them to make a run of them? Please?

Darren

The posts are made from extruded blanks. The extrusion looks just like the head of the post. That is, the 'lobes' that hold the hardware in place run the entire length of the shaft. The extruded blanks come in two sizes to keep weight of the finished product down. Posts with a diameter of 30.2 and below made from one blank, 30.9 and above made from a larger blank. They then CNC the diameter to the desired OD.

After the posts are turned on the lathe, the offset posts are likely bent in a press, over a die... It probably takes all of 15 seconds to load into the press and bend them. S-bend chainstays and seatstays are done much the same way. It's an effective, albeit less than attractive bend. One would think they could do something a little more graceful if they wanted too. It would be hard to believe it's beyond them; they have an amazing facility...

Cheers,
KP

Bob Ross
11-08-2011, 10:06 AM
If they can 'bend' a post, they can 'curve' a post
To clarify, I don't think a bend and a curve are the same thing

I suppose if I were staring at pictures of the Moots & the Thomson side by side I might have the slightest clue as to what you're talking about, but just going on my recollection of those seatposts I'm completely confused by the semantic distinction between Bent & Curved.

Better yet, why not re-design the head to allow setback?

Another +1. Or +2. Surely the folks at Thomson must be aware of the seeming consensus (by internet fora if nowhere else) that their setback posts are buttugly, no?

Kirk Pacenti
11-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I suppose if I were staring at pictures of the Moots & the Thomson side by side I might have the slightest clue as to what you're talking about, but just going on my recollection of those seatposts I'm completely confused by the semantic distinction between Bent & Curved.

The Moots has a nice "arc" to it. The Thomson looks more like a kink.

Cheers

KP

eddief
11-08-2011, 10:58 AM
what an amazing piece of jewelry. the entire X4, including the hunky faceplate, is a wonder of machining. so many facets and curves and intricacies. they do nice work, but their setback post always looks like someone made a mistake.

sashae
11-08-2011, 11:02 AM
I would kill for a gently arced Thomson like the Moots post. The old Moots "cinch" clamp is a loathesome POS -- slips, difficult to put in many saddles, etc etc etc. The Thomson clamp head is so far and beyond better it's ridiculous.

I'd love to have that Thomson quality in something a bit more aesthetic.

markie
11-08-2011, 11:14 AM
As an alternative I have been liking the truvativ posts.

http://www.sram.com/truvativ/products/truvativ-stylo-t40-seatpost

1centaur
11-08-2011, 11:42 AM
It would be interesting to see an ROI analysis of producing a curved Thomson post. I have many of their set-back posts and don't mind the looks at all, and it's clear that the market has been buying that design in volume for years, so there may be a "why bother?" element to not changing. Yet dislike of the look is the number one objection to the post, and has been consistently for years. If one could remove the objection, why not do so? One reason might be that if seat post sales volume picks up 10%, old design post sales might go down 9% - cannibalization. Or maybe online retailers would drop the old design completely because nobody would object to a curved version.

Best clamping mechanism in the business for fine angle adjustments. I wish it had bigger setback.

Fixed
11-08-2011, 11:44 AM
bent post
some people love them
some people not so much
cheers

DRZRM
11-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I swear that anyone who says this must not have "invested" in one of these Spreader Tools (http://moots.myshopify.com/products/cal-van-spreader-tool).

http://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0049/1612/products/square_2_large.jpg?100126

I can swap out an old style Moots seat faster than loosening the bolts on a Thomson. Obviously they are both great posts, but if you have the right tool, the "infernal" Moots is totally easy. Anyone frustrated with 27.2 old style Moots seatposts, drop me a line, I'll take them off your hands.

The old Moots "cinch" clamp is a loathesome POS -- slips, difficult to put in many saddles, etc etc etc.

sashae
11-08-2011, 01:01 PM
I wasn't even aware of that tool, thanks! I've got several of those infernal posts, I hope this makes my life easier...

Idris Icabod
11-08-2011, 01:14 PM
For the number of times I changed saddles on my Moots post I have put off buying the spreader tool, but every time I have I think I'll get the new post or that spreader as I try to jam more dimes into the post and then they get flung all over the garage and I have to start again.

DRZRM
11-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Seriously, I did this for years. I still find nickels with crescent shaped divots in them around my work area. This was the best $18 I've ever spent, I like the old design more than the new one.

For the number of times I changed saddles on my Moots post I have put off buying the spreader tool, but every time I have I think I'll get the new post or that spreader as I try to jam more dimes into the post and then they get flung all over the garage and I have to start again.

Idris Icabod
11-08-2011, 02:12 PM
Seriously, I did this for years. I still find nickels with crescent shaped divots in them around my work area. This was the best $18 I've ever spent, I like the old design more than the new one.

Thanks, I'll probably get one of these. BTW I just looked and Sears has the same tool for $9 just in case anyone else was thinking of getting one.

palincss
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Best clamping mechanism in the business for fine angle adjustments. I wish it had bigger setback.

I've never used a Thompson, but I have a Nitto S83 and a Nitto S84, and I cannot imagine a better mechanism for fine angle adjustments. And you know what else? They look wonderful. They don't look like you had a garage door accident.

btl68
11-08-2011, 02:57 PM

btl68
11-08-2011, 04:11 PM
My question to Thomson was:

How are the setback posts made? Are they bent, extruded and machined, welded or ???

Thanks for your time.

Brian

And their answer (in 30 minutes!) was:

They are cold bent after machining.

David