PDA

View Full Version : Campy electronic information

krhea
11-07-2011, 09:57 PM
http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/campagnolo-launch-electronic-eps-groups-32306

My apologies if this has already been posted. I looked briefly but didn't see it so I thought I'd offer it up.

Interesting information.

KRhea

ultraman6970
11-07-2011, 10:21 PM
after reading info online in different places looks like on of this groups could last me like 60 years with the original battery pack (based in the tiny bit I ride).

wonder if campagnolo will drawn the line with electronic producing one that goes 3 up and 3 down and 10 speed. I would be happy with something like that.

Come on campy cheap electronics man! thats the day to go now.

gone
11-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Well I at least hadn't seen it. Looks interesting, how interesting obviously depends on price :D

pdmtong
11-07-2011, 10:38 PM
"Campagnolo, however, has done a better job of mimicking the feel of its much-loved – and virtually identically shaped – mechanical Ergopower brake/shift levers, however. The throws are very short as was expected but the high spring force is more akin to a cable-actuated system and there's a very tactile and audible click each time a button is depressed.

.....Granted, that tactile and audible feedback is different for the upshift and downshift paddles but it's feedback nonetheless – something we've always found lacking in Shimano's otherwise functionally refined system."

Ironic this is the same complaint that the car mags level against lexus versus bmw, porsche, [insert european sports car here]

gdw
11-07-2011, 10:47 PM
So Campy finally officially released their ME2 line...yawn.

4Rings6Stars
11-07-2011, 10:50 PM
I haven't been following the Campy electronic group much so sorry if my comments have been discussed at length elsewhere.

I'm glad to see they ditched the "Campy Tech" branding, I thought that was really tacky.

Also, it has probably been beaten to death, but that front derailleur is terrifying.

Louis
11-07-2011, 10:52 PM
Also, it has probably been beaten to death, but that front derailleur is terrifying.

I thought the exact same thing. What horrible design.

dave thompson
11-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes but...."Campagnolo tested the EPS front derailleur to operate under 1m of water for 30 minutes without leaking" which is great if you're going to ride across the Danube or Mississippi.

I know, I know, a snarky comment. Shouldn't be here. I'm gonna get banned.

Louis
11-07-2011, 11:03 PM

It's about time. :p

1centaur
11-08-2011, 05:01 AM
I found the water resistance nugget interesting when contrasted to the pressure washer comment. With watches, you can have a 100M (or more) water resistant case but it is suggested you do not shower with it because holding a seal in still water is nowhere close to the test that moving water provides. If the Movistar guys could really blast it at point blank range with pressure washers, the effective water resistance is FAR higher than implied by 1M for 30 minutes, I think.

Anybody heard a peep about lack of water resistance on Di2?

jr59
11-08-2011, 05:43 AM
I found the water resistance nugget interesting when contrasted to the pressure washer comment. With watches, you can have a 100M (or more) water resistant case but it is suggested you do not shower with it because holding a seal in still water is nowhere close to the test that moving water provides. If the Movistar guys could really blast it at point blank range with pressure washers, the effective water resistance is FAR higher than implied by 1M for 30 minutes, I think.

Anybody heard a peep about lack of water resistance on Di2?

It's suggested you not shower with a watch because of the change in temp.
The room temp to hot shower back to room temp creates condensation inside the watch case. Unless you have one of the oil filled type movements.

It has nothing to do with water getting in the case from the outside.

Now back to your program!

Elefantino
11-08-2011, 06:11 AM
Come on campy cheap electronics man!
I believe Campy believes it has left that to the Japanese. :no:

zmudshark
11-08-2011, 06:33 AM
Up or down all 11 gears in one motion?

The electronic version of Campagnolo’s Multi-Shifting technology now allows a rider to shift all 11 cogs (up or down) with a single lever action. Campagnolo say it takes 1.5 seconds to complete the 11-cog sweep (downwards, to smallest cog)

oldpotatoe
11-08-2011, 08:03 AM
I believe Campy believes it has left that to the Japanese. :no:

Electronics were made in Switzerland, not Italia.

Lovetoclimb
11-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Super Record EPS + Super Record SRM + (most expensive stock frameset) + (most expensive stock wheelset)

Just seeing some of the builds that will come out of the above equation not including any custom stuff by the out of the box type thinkers is enough to keep me excited. $20k retail bike anyone!?

Idris Icabod
11-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Super Record EPS + Super Record SRM + (most expensive stock frameset) + (most expensive stock wheelset)

Just seeing some of the builds that will come out of the above equation not including any custom stuff by the out of the box type thinkers is enough to keep me excited. $20k retail bike anyone!?

$20K retail bikes are so yesterday! $30K is the new $20K. Here is an Eddy Merckx full bike with lowly cable actuated derailleurs for a bargain $21K:

http://www.wrenchscience.com/road/frames/Eddy+Merckx/Anniversary+EMX-7+-+Bike/2011/

I really don't care so much for the looks of the FD but I'll swim against the tide here and state that I really want it. Right, off to the shops to buy a lottery ticket.

Mark McM
11-08-2011, 10:56 AM
The room temp to hot shower back to room temp creates condensation inside the watch case.

Huh? If the watch is sealed, the only way for there to be condensation is if the water was in the watch to begin with. Which also means that even more of this water would condense when the watch is at a lower temperature, such as when the watch is taken off the wrist (and no longer warmed by body temperature).

The only way that condensation inside a sealed watch would be a problem is if the case sealed in a very humid environment with a very high dewpoint. Or if, as originally suggested, high pressure water could get by the seals and into the case.

1centaur
11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Let's say we're both right - both movement and heat can mess with rated water resistance. Campy's 1M test seems fanciful.

http://www.bluedial.com/bd-wr.htm

jpw
11-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Ci2 is it? It doesn't look very nice (dog ugly), and so if it is going to be the success Valentino C is hoping for it had better work brilliantly every time.

oldpotatoe
11-08-2011, 12:31 PM
Ci2 is it? It doesn't look very nice (dog ugly), and so if it is going to be the success Valentino C is hoping for it had better work brilliantly every time.

'EPS' and it isn't any uglier than Di2, either of them.

Joachim
11-08-2011, 12:34 PM
I'll be more than willing to take any mechanical Super Record 11 off the hands of a new EPS user..:)

chuckred
11-08-2011, 12:38 PM
The room temp to hot shower back to room temp creates condensation inside the watch case. Unless you have one of the oil filled type movements.

It has nothing to do with water getting in the case from the outside.

Now back to your program!

Having learned twice the hard way... my Omega Speedmaster has leaked twice. Years apart, and after years of not taking off in the shower, ocean, etc. The Omega repair told me that it's the pressure of the water (i.e. force of the shower vs. just being wet) and that the seals dry over time.

If it was condensation from temperature fluctuations, that would happen virtually daily - i.e. going from -10 degree ski slopes to 70 degree lodge. An 80 degree swing is way more than from a warm bathroom into a hot shower.

I think spraying with a pressure washer is much more likely to cause a problem than any temperature swing.

Sorry - too fast - saw the "Blue Dial" article - makes sense...

Pete Serotta
11-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Never ever banned, sorry you still are stuck with us. PETE :beer:

Yes but...."Campagnolo tested the EPS front derailleur to operate under 1m of water for 30 minutes without leaking" which is great if you're going to ride across the Danube or Mississippi.

AngryScientist
11-08-2011, 12:53 PM

unless you have a good watch.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&goto=3843497&rid=16482#msg_3843497

RedRider
11-08-2011, 12:56 PM
“It is not intelligent to just follow the stream and go where others go…we will not make our parts in Taiwan or China. Campagnolo has never in the past, or in the future, been a mass production type company. Maybe this is wrong, but is who we are. Mass production I will leave to others. In the world there are plenty of choices of wine to drink, but if you want the finest Brunello, it comes from Italy. This is what people who are wishing to enjoy something extraordinary will allow for.”
Valentino Campagnolo.

oldpotatoe
11-08-2011, 01:07 PM
“It is not intelligent to just follow the stream and go where others go…we will not make our parts in Taiwan or China. Campagnolo has never in the past, or in the future, been a mass production type company. Maybe this is wrong, but is who we are. Mass production I will leave to others. In the world there are plenty of choices of wine to drink, but if you want the finest Brunello, it comes from Italy. This is what people who are wishing to enjoy something extraordinary will allow for.”
Valentino Campagnolo.

Scommettere ha sembrato anche meglio quando parlato nell'italiano.

More info from both Cyclingnews and Velonews. The angry asian, James Huang, found a glitch in the shifting nobody else noticed or saw...wonder if his broken collarbone is still bugging him.

jr59
11-08-2011, 02:47 PM
You guys are a watchmaker dream!

No problems!

Yes you are correct that seals can dry out over time, just as grease in a head set or wheels can. That is why most major brands will tell you to have it serviced every 3-5 years.