PDA

View Full Version : Alex Zanardi's hand-bike result in New York

Polyglot
11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
If you are looking to show your children what dedication will bring you, I don't think that you can find much better than to look at Alex Zanardi.

Last year in the New York, his carbon fiber wheel collapsed and he still finished the race with nothing more than shards left. This year without any mechanicals, he won the Hand-bike race of the New York marathon.

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/indycar-zanardi-wins-class-at-new-york-marathon/

I think that we will be seeing him in London next year at the paralympics!

PS: at 45 years of age, nobody is going to be considering him a youngster...

staggerwing
11-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Haven't followed his career much past the horrific crash, but he was always a class act. Almost always had a smile, and would interact with the fans as much as his busy schedule would allow.

Got to see him a couple times at Mid-Ohio. The most beautiful was a practice session in the rain. He was the only driver that elected to stay out, and what a demonstration of car control. Almost 800hp, no traction control, coming down the back straight at 170mph with a 100ft roostertail, braking hard and drifting through the complex hard right, rising/falling hard left, just barely planted and tail out.

Yeah, he won that one too.

alastair
11-07-2011, 12:24 PM
What a phenomenal achievement! Thanks for posting this.

oliver1850
11-07-2011, 06:12 PM
Zanardi was always an exceptional guy. I remember my team manager Steve Horne, who worked with a lot of talented drivers, refer to him as "magic". It's amazing that his experience didn't leave him bitter and broken, and great to see that he's still finding ways to challenge himself, and enjoy life.

swPArider
11-07-2011, 07:49 PM
i'm a target ganassi fan to this day because of Zanardi. Zanardi was the man back in the champ car days.