PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 levers- Is it time to send them to Old Potatoe?

sjbraun
11-06-2011, 08:06 AM
I have some chorus 10 levers, maybe 6 or 7 years old.
Occasionaly, it takes two throughs of the right lever or two taps of the shift button to effect a gear change. Recently, I've experience some ghost shifting, too.
Is it time for a rebuild from Vecchio's?

Spin71
11-06-2011, 08:32 AM
Could be. Could also just be poor cable tension.

Tommasini53
11-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Occasionaly, it takes two throughs of the right lever or two taps of the shift button to effect a gear change. Recently, I've experience some ghost shifting, too.

i've rebuilt a couple pair of Ergo levers over the years and they are almost like new with a rebuild. after 6-7 years you are probably due. and i agree with the comment...check the cable housing, especially the ends at the Ergo levers.

rebuilds...just try to do that with shimano...that's why campy is a great. :beer:

WeakRider
11-06-2011, 09:17 AM
rebuilds...just try to do that with shimano...that's why campy is a great. :beer:

http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltxtbldQEI1r0ufaco1_500.gif

oldpotatoe
11-06-2011, 09:25 AM

yes

Steve in SLO
11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
It's probably time for a rebuild, and not to take business from Peter, but with a modicum of ability it can be done at home. I have rebuilt a number of sets and it is pretty straightforward. There is a good video on youtube which is a great help.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2011, 01:28 PM
It's probably time for a rebuild, and not to take business from Peter, but with a modicum of ability it can be done at home. I have rebuilt a number of sets and it is pretty straightforward. There is a good video on youtube which is a great help.

Then send the guy a PM steve-o.

Pete Serotta
11-06-2011, 05:17 PM
and will. send to him.

Serotta_Pete

experience from a pro leads to :D and if it is your first try the odds are :crap:

Mike748
11-06-2011, 05:26 PM
I've rebuilt a few myself but always second guess whether i replaced the right parts... Same as with my cars... I can do it but did i do it as well as the pro would have? For what Peter charges it seems a no brainer - send them to Boulder and know its done right!

sjbraun
11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Levers will be heading to Boulder.
I'm great in the kitchen, and if you need ICU nursing care, I'm your guy, but if it's more complicated than replacing a chain, everyone is better off if I send my repair work to a pro.

Thanks for the advice

-Steve

zmudshark
11-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Smart move

bikerboy337
11-06-2011, 06:10 PM
i'm probably doing the same in a month or so once the riding here is done for me... i have an older record set, and the shifters are a little worn now.. thinking i'll have oldpotato rebuid them so they're like new....

Dan Le foot
11-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the tip, Steve.
Last time I had my shifters rebuilt they were in the shop for a week. Always rewarding to do the work myself. And much of what I have learned in the last 10 years I learned from forumites like you. :beer:
Dan

Pete Serotta
11-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Being in the business for so long is a plus, just as I would go to you for ICU instead of going to internet for instructions, PETE

Levers will be heading to Boulder.
I'm great in the kitchen, and if you need ICU nursing care, I'm your guy, but if it's more complicated than replacing a chain, everyone is better off if I send my repair work to a pro.

Thanks for the advice

-Steve

AngryScientist
11-07-2011, 07:23 AM
i do all my own work, including rebuilding levers.

that said, it takes a very smart man to know when something is over his head, and going to a trusted professional is a no-brainer. the way i look at it, the man with a campagnolo tattoo is going to make your levers like new. :beer:

jr59
11-07-2011, 07:24 AM
Well at least I know who the go to guy is for ICU. :D

Hopefully I won't need that any time soon.

I've always KNOWN where to send my Campy shifters!

To Peter in Boulder Co, that to me is a no brainer!

To the guys that can repair these yourself. :beer: This ones for you!

Mikej
11-07-2011, 08:06 AM
http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ltxtbldQEI1r0ufaco1_500.gif

Yeah, thank God my Shimano brifters are 10 years old and don't need to be rebuilt.

oldpotatoe
11-07-2011, 08:13 AM
Well at least I know who the go to guy is for ICU. :D

Hopefully I won't need that any time soon.

I've always KNOWN where to send my Campy shifters!

To Peter in Boulder Co, that to me is a no brainer!

To the guys that can repair these yourself. :beer: This ones for you!

Yep, not that hard. Certainly not as hard as owning and running a bike shop.

Many people OVH ERGO, but also get a 'few' that come in with the lever in a ziplock, all parts, when they can't get it back together.