PDA

View Full Version : How bad is this crack?

rain dogs
11-05-2011, 09:39 PM
I was looking over this fork and saw this cracking. I'll confess, it looks worse in the photos than in person, and in fact, if you don't catch it in the light you can't see it.

I initially found it maybe? by feeling and seeing it. I'm actually not sure how I found it, but I was cleaning the area thoroughly cause there was a bit of grease there.

I pressed very firmly on the fork blade and their was absolutely no noise or creaking, but I'll admit, the last thing I want is to ride my bike on my face.

Anyone got a ultrasonic x-ray?

If this was your fork, not mine, what would you do?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6108/6316734001_fbabbe952b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6220/6316734083_57ab3cf5f8.jpg

avalonracing
11-05-2011, 09:44 PM
I wouldn't ride it on a bet. But I am really protective when it comes to my face, bones and organs.

Louis
11-05-2011, 09:50 PM
Maybe I'm not looking at the right spot, but I don't see a crack. I do see marks on the clear-coat (which are no big deal).

chismog
11-05-2011, 10:13 PM
First, I would take the fork off and inspect it very closely.

Those types of cracks are often (but not always) limited to the clearcoat. If I was even slightly worried that the cracked area at the crown went past the clear coat, I would sand off a *small* bit of the clear coat until I could determine the depth of the crack. If it penetrates the carbon surface below, it is definitely time to retire the fork. Otherwise, probably ok. YMMV.

FWIW, I'm not at all surprised to see clearcoat cracks in that area. Check this fork test video. http://youtu.be/I8wGDgjzjpY Whatever they use there has to accommodate a lot of flex.

Louis
11-05-2011, 10:22 PM
Random comment: In general, because failures in CF happen and propagate differently from those in metal, cracks in CF tend to look different from those in say, AL or steel. In fact, CF rarely just cracks. You get bad failures due to massive overloads (like what happens during a crash) and you can get disbonds, but fatigue failures like those in metal are a different animal.

doode
11-06-2011, 12:12 AM
if theres no noise or creaking id totally ride it.

jpw
11-06-2011, 03:09 AM
Buy a new one.
Picture the scene. You're in a hospital bed with a broken face and various fractures and cuts, and you're now really wishing you'd spent that money still sitting in your bank account on a shiny new fork. Bicycles are not toys.

gearguywb
11-06-2011, 05:08 AM
cracked=discard

bobswire
11-06-2011, 07:17 AM
I'd at least sand the clear coat down to see it the crack continues into the carbon layers. I'm not suggesting you do it but I would. That looks like a strange crack to be just in the clear coat. Or ask Calfee their opinion.

Elefantino
11-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Do you have a LBS that you trust, one that won't blow smoke up your backside? Take it there. Let someone see more than photos.

Barring a strong opinion, be safe first, cheap later.

spdcyclist
11-06-2011, 07:41 AM
If you have any doubts about the integrity of the fork REPLACE it. When carbon fails, it fails catastrophically with little or no warning. I had a set of carbon bars snap in half on me. Thank goodness it was at low speed. A member of our local club was not so lucky. His carbon frame failed, he wound up passing away after months in the hospital. Don’t take any chances. Replace the fork.

beer_meister
11-06-2011, 10:15 AM
No way a bunch of boobs on an internet forum can answer that question for you, with any certainty, based on two fairly poor photos.

If you want an answer from an expert, take it to a structural testing lab that specializes in Non-Destructive Testing (NDT). Your fork needs to be examined using X-ray or ultrasonic testing to determine the extent of internal damage. Of course, this will probably cost you more than a new set of forks.

Don't bother taking it to an LBS. They're not engineers. They might tell you, oh Joe Blow has one with a crack bigger than that, and he's still riding his, and it ain't broke yet. All an LBS can do is provide a recommendation based on his anecdotal experience. Is that really going to instill that much confidence in you?

If the damage appears to be more that slight superficial scratches, or paint chipping either get a structural engineering outfit to look at it, or send it to Calfee, to see if they can fix it. Or just be safe and buy a new one.

Welcome to the world of Crab-on fiber.

Oh yeah, you might wanna visit this sight for some inspiration too http://www.bustedcarbon.com/

cfox
11-06-2011, 10:33 AM
yes, take a $200 cannondale fork to a 'structural analysis lab' and have it x-rayed. better yet, NASA has a little time on its hands these days, so why don't you fly down to white sands in NM to see what they think.

Get a new fork my friend. No question. Bike stuff breaks all the time. It's not a big deal, it's part of owning a bike. That's what this boob thinks.

beer_meister
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
yes, take a $200 cannondale fork to a 'structural analysis lab' and have it x-rayed. better yet, NASA has a little time on its hands these days, so why don't you fly down to white sands in NM to see what they think.

Dude, your sarcasm is not appreciated, nor warranted.

I stated pretty clearly that having a structural testing testing lab look at the OP's fork would probably cost more than the fork was worth.

FYI, structural testing firms are located in almost every large metropolitan area in the country. It doesn't take NASA or Sandia Labs to run a few simple X-rays or other NDT checks. Sorry if thats a cataclysmic epiphany for you.

If you want a definitive answer, yah gottah pay for someone with the expertise to evaluate the problem. Sorry, if that rubs you the wrong way.

:rolleyes:

Fixed
11-06-2011, 11:30 AM
cannondale makes good stuff
but you need confidence in your bike to ride it properly
your cdale shop ask the old wrench (if you trust him ) what he thinks .
cheers imho

Kontact
11-06-2011, 11:38 AM
Even if this is just a crack in the paint, I don't see how a fork under normal loading would flex in a way to cause such a crack.

If there is a warranty, do that. If not and you are cheap, a new Kestrel 1 1/8" fork is $100.

bikemoore
11-06-2011, 11:53 AM
Considering how cheaply you can get a replacement carbon fork from Nashbar ($80-$110), I would retire that fork. Knowing that that crack is there, I would just be too paranoid about it. Carbon forks break suddenly and fork failures too often result in very serious crashes.

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2011, 12:21 PM
If you're not sure . . . replace it.

Any riding situation that would create enough stress to make it go ahead and fail is the kind of situation where you will NOT want your fork to break. :eek:

BBD

EricEstlund
11-06-2011, 12:45 PM
Take it to the LBS you bought it from, have them show it the their rep and see if it walks up the warranty (http://www.cannondale.com/terms-policies) chain. Processing warranty claims is part of the gig- they will take care of you.

All of this assumes you didn't run it into a curb, jump it off the porch, hit the garage, etc.

I'm always suspect when something is moving enough to crack the clear coat. Play it safe.

cfox
11-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Dude, your sarcasm is not appreciated, nor warranted.

I stated pretty clearly that having a structural testing testing lab look at the OP's fork would probably cost more than the fork was worth.

FYI, structural testing firms are located in almost every large metropolitan area in the country. It doesn't take NASA or Sandia Labs to run a few simple X-rays or other NDT checks. Sorry if thats a cataclysmic epiphany for you.

If you want a definitive answer, yah gottah pay for someone with the expertise to evaluate the problem. Sorry, if that rubs you the wrong way.

:rolleyes:
C'mon man, sometimes a little sarcasm is warranted to bring discussions back to planet earth. Cycling doesn't need to be complicated. Plus, you called us boobs.

54ny77
11-06-2011, 01:01 PM
doesn't look good. better call a plumber, phil mccracken at yer service.

http://lbddiaries.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/plumbers-crack.jpg

William
11-06-2011, 01:02 PM
C'mon man, sometimes a little sarcasm is warranted to bring discussions back to planet earth. Cycling doesn't need to be complicated. Plus, you called us boobs.

What a bunch of ......

http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/2/4/3/4/4/boobie_bird.jpg

William :rolleyes: :D

ultraman6970
11-06-2011, 02:51 PM
The reason maybe u dont hear anything in the crack is because u have a big chance the crown area is made of aluminum?? the only way to know is just sand it down 2 mm. Good way to know if you need a new fork tho :D

Charles M
11-06-2011, 05:37 PM
I was looking over this fork and saw this cracking. I'll confess, it looks worse in the photos than in person, and in fact, if you don't catch it in the light you can't see it.

I initially found it maybe? by feeling and seeing it. I'm actually not sure how I found it, but I was cleaning the area thoroughly cause there was a bit of grease there.

I pressed very firmly on the fork blade and their was absolutely no noise or creaking, but I'll admit, the last thing I want is to ride my bike on my face.

Anyone got a ultrasonic x-ray?

If this was your fork, not mine, what would you do?

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6108/6316734001_fbabbe952b.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6220/6316734083_57ab3cf5f8.jpg

Dip***** carbon bashing comments aside

You answered your own question when you mentioned X ray.

That said, Nonbody in their right minds rides that fork. The crown isnt a place where clear coat generall has any issues at all, and the patern of those marks doesnt wash with finish issues.

The only way I think thats finish stress is if you got in a pretty good accident and the headset wasnt right and the crown pinched down on the head tube.

Even then it's either no ride or cleared by someone with an inside look.

DogpawSlim
11-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Take it to the LBS you bought it from, have them show it the their rep and see if it walks up the warranty (http://www.cannondale.com/terms-policies) chain. Processing warranty claims is part of the gig- they will take care of you.

All of this assumes you didn't run it into a curb, jump it off the porch, hit the garage, etc.

I'm always suspect when something is moving enough to crack the clear coat. Play it safe.

+1. In my shop days, I saw manufacturers warranty less than that. And plenty of roof rack vs. garage incidents too.