PDA

View Full Version : Help! What stem do I need?

Ozz
07-26-2005, 01:01 PM
I have anew project to work on...just picked up a Legend (frame, fork, HS) and need to start dressing it up. Package should arrive this Friday. :banana:

How do I calculate / determine what stem/angle I need to get?

It is a pretty close match to my current bike, just small differences in STA, Top Tubr, and Head Tube. Current bike has a 11cm Newton.

Here are some numbers from the two bikes that might help:

CSI Legend
ST 60 60
STA 73.5 73
TT 58 58.2
HT 19.17 18.88
HTA 73 73
Rake 43 43
Trail 5.9 5.9
WB 101.83 100.97

From my CSI, these numbers might also be useful:

Floor to saddle: 102.25 cm
Floor to bars: 95.25 cm
Reach (rear saddle to mid HB): 89.05 cm
(CSI has a Flite Ti, Legend will have an Arione)

Thoughts, questions, input is very much appreciated!

Thanks!

scottcw
07-26-2005, 01:55 PM
SHAMELESS SPAM: I have a +/- 17* 110mm Bontrager XXX Lite stem that I will sell you if you are interested. PM me.

keno
07-26-2005, 03:36 PM
I would put the new bike in the trainer and begin experimenting with different stems in order to find what works best. But first, get your saddle right, and then start with the stems. I would use the current stem in the CSI for starters, flip it if necessary, fiddle with the spacers above and below the stem. If you have other stems around, play with them if needed, or perhaps a friend has some you can try. When I was trying some new positions, I bought 3 inexpensive stems from icyclesusa.com and used them to experiment. I have no friends with stems.

keno

Ozz
07-26-2005, 04:06 PM
I would put the new bike in the trainer and begin experimenting with different stems in order to find what works best. But first, get your saddle right, and then start with the stems. I would use the current stem in the CSI for starters, flip it if necessary, fiddle with the spacers above and below the stem. If you have other stems around, play with them if needed, or perhaps a friend has some you can try. When I was trying some new positions, I bought 3 inexpensive stems from icyclesusa.com and used them to experiment. I have no friends with stems.

keno
Yeah, that's what I figured I would have to do....I don't have any friends with stems either.

Just, hoping someone with knowledge of fitting would be able to tell me how different a stem I would need to get my bars close to where they are on my CSI.

The differences between the bikes seem so small, it probably isn't a big deal...thanks for the help!

Also, awhile back there was a discussion of CNC machined parts, and the impression I got was that they sucked! You remember, the discussion about replacing bars and stems every year? Anyway, what are some good forged stems or CNC stems that don't suck? The Tune stems look cool, if somewhat pricey, and the Oval Concepts stems say that they are forged. Any other recommendations?

dave thompson
07-26-2005, 05:22 PM
Ozz: With the Legend having 1/2 degree slacker seat tube, 2mm (.0787 inch) longer top tube and a 3mm (.1181 inch) shorter head tube, I would say the same stem as on your CSI would be perfect for the Legend. Differences would be negligible.

dirtdigger88
07-26-2005, 05:42 PM
I have a 120mm thomson X2 that would look great on your new project :p

Jason

Dave
07-26-2005, 07:14 PM
I'm not sure what those two HT dimensions mean, but to produce a handlebar of approximately 95cm from the ground to the top of the bars, you need a total stack height (HT + headset + spacers) of about 230mm with an 84 degree stem that has a common 40mm steering clamp length If the head tube is 190mm, and the headset is 30mm, then you'd need about 10mm of spacer.

An 80 degree stem would be 7-8mm lower, if the stem has the same steering clamp height.

To compare the "reach" of the two frames, you really need the STA of both but if they are quite similar, then just taking the difference of the TT lengths will tell you if you need a longer or shorter stem.

dirtdigger88
07-26-2005, 07:26 PM
my legend has the same numbers as Ozz's new one- I had one 5mm space- king hs- and a 130 mm thomson and had a measurement from ground to bars of 95cm

Jason