PDA

View Full Version : Las Flores Canyon Death Today - RIP Roberto Hyndman

hairylegs
11-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Haven't been on a "real" group ride in awhile, and went out with the Rapha ride that met at Bike Effect this AM. On the decent down Las Flores Canyon one of the riders lost control on one of the many very tricky turns. I was a minute or two back, so I didn't see it, but there were about 70 of us who pulled over. We were giving them space while a few more medically minded riders helped. An anesthesiologist happened to be driving by and helped as well. Even though we were just about a mile up from PCH it took about 15 minutes for the cops to arrive and another 5 or 10 for the fire trucks and ambulance. We ended up SLOWLY making our way back down and I heard via Facebook later today that he died at UCLA after he was airlifted out.

I don't know many other details, but man....You hear about this stuff, but having it happen right in front of me makes me tentative and scared...Just saying. Life is so fragile! Wow. What a sad day.

RIP Roberto Hyndman - I didn't know you personally - but we rode together at once and my thoughts and prayers are with your family and friends.

Louis
11-05-2011, 07:33 PM
one of the riders lost control on one of the many very tricky turns.

Bummer. RIP Roberto.

Sometimes group rides are more dangerous than riding solo or with a regular riding buddy, where both of you are familiar with each other's habits.

nm87710
11-05-2011, 08:35 PM
Godspeed Roberto as you move on. http://www.facebook.com/roberto.hyndman

:(

hairylegs
11-05-2011, 09:37 PM
I'm sure all the details will come out via bikinginla...but from what I hear he hit a bump and skidded up, flipped and suffered severe head injuries. His arms were starting to curl up on the side of the road. It's just so crazy.

Looking like we're going to organize a memorial ride next Sunday for those of you in SoCal. Will post with details. :(

guylimey
11-05-2011, 10:02 PM
I didn't know you personally either but to a fellow Angeleno and cyclist - RIP Roberto Hyndman

hairylegs
11-05-2011, 10:49 PM
Here's a link to the ride next Sunday...

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=224428787625079&refid=52

1happygirl
11-05-2011, 11:38 PM
Horrible. My thoughts & prayers 2 family & friends.

toaster
11-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Rest in Peace.

Is there any news story or other to read about this young man's life?

Uncle Jam's Army
11-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Wow, I considered going on that ride yesterday, but opted for another ride instead. My condolences to Roberto's family. I'll try to to make it next Sunday.

beeatnik
11-06-2011, 11:56 AM
I spoke with him for about a minute on the final ascent. I noticed his bike and his cadence. Made one of those mental notes you make a million times on rides. He was a strong climber and so am I but near the top a pro (power tap and team bike were clues) flew by at twice our speed. Told myself at that point that I had nothing to prove (to myself, mostly) and didn't need to stay with the fast/lead group for the last 15 miles. Providence. The descent was the fastest I've done in California. I realized that when I noticed no one was trying to angle for position or even able to pass slower riders ahead. I was on the brakes 80% of the time and at no point felt comfortable. The road conditions were great but there's enough traffic and many, many super fast curves that you're never in a comfort zone, regardless of your bike handling skills. And speaking of position and bike handling skills, this ride was the most orderly group ride I've done.

It's hard to describe what it's like to see a man breathing his last breaths. One of Roberto's friends posted on Bike Effect's Facebook that he died doing what he loved. I hope he had peace in his final seconds. I didn't know him and I'm sure most of the 50 plus riders there didn't as well, but we all felt connected to him and our thoughts and prayers will be with him.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2011/11/bicyclist-dies-after-striking-guardrail-in-malibu.html

edit: there were actually two crashes. A female rider went down on the first, less technical descent. Her injuries were not serious.

beeatnik
11-06-2011, 12:00 PM
Wanted to thank all of you who rsvp'd and joined the group for what sounded like a picture perfect day of riding yesterday. Reports where that the weather, the roads and the group were about as perfect as you can hope for a day on the bike. With one exception.

Many of you have written to ask the outcome of the crash on that final descent. It is with a very heavy heart that I tell you that the crash was fatal. While risk is an inherent and horrible reality of this sport we love, it is of course a terribly final and tragic ending to something that otherwise brings such joy to our lives.

There are plans shaping up to honor our fallen brethren with a ride next week. The BikeEffect Facebook wall is the best source for any such information thus far.

Our thoughts and our deepest sympathies to his family, his friends and all of us who ride and are touched by this loss.

Sincerely,
Slate Olson

Slate Olson
General Manager, North America

R A P H A
Performance Roadwear
www.rapha.cc
@rapha_n_america

Tom Byrnes
11-06-2011, 12:22 PM
This is a copy of an email I just received from Steven Carre, of Bike Effect, the Serotta dealer in Santa Monica that was hosting Saturday's ride.

This is from Robert's brother, Carl. His e-mail is carl_hyndman@yahoo.com. My thoughts and my heart are with Robert's family and friends right now.
Steven

Dear Friends and Riding Companions,
I wanted to write this in hopes I can alleviate some heavy hearts and misunderstandings that may surround this day. My name is Carl Hyndman and I am the younger brother of Robert Hyndman who died in yesterday's accident. We are from Orange County and love bike riding. I have been riding for over 30 years and live and breath this special sport and am as passionate as anyone. I ride and race in both mountain and road. I have my UCI license and live the culture of cycling as did my brother Robert.

Robert is a bit newer to the sport but has embraced it beyond anyone's expectations. He has always lived an active life and found cycling a couple of years ago and has literally fallen in to the culture and lifestyle that surrounds it. Robert is the part of a close family that includes 5 brothers and a sister and immigrant Portuguese parents from Hong Kong. He was the middle child and was a successful writer who worked from his home in Laguna Beach. As a child and throughout his life, he would read everything and anything that he was interested in and had a calm and soothing aura around him. He didn't just causally get involved with things, he grabbed life by the horns and embraced all that life could offer. It was no surprise that his passion would progress his interest to the finer things including his love for Italian bikes, amazing scenery and the surrounding of close friends. His natural ability progressed him to the point of racing, and travels for epic adventures. We shared many miles together and loved riding the mountains in places like Santa Cruz and Marin where some of our family lives.

However, Robert was the balance in my life. I am the risk-taker, the action sports athlete and thrill-seeker. I'm known to throw caution to the wind and push my abilities. Robert was much different. He was very calculated and never took unnecessary risks. Yes he felt his natural athletic ability, but it was always within his control and comfort zone.

We recently heard about this ride and wanted to experience another great adventure and included a few other friends from our area to enjoy as a group. The shop, the surrounding culture and the terrain is all part of what we feel represents our passion and lifestyle. Although we may not know most of you, we feel an indirect kinship for a common love and interest. This one was of those unfortunate accidents that we don't see coming in our lives. Only seconds before, I was riding in front of him laughing and having the time of our lives. We marveled at the surrounding and embraced it. The terrain wasn't unusual, too risky or unfamiliar. We had ridden this kind of terrain and far harder many times before. It could have happened just as easily on PCH or a curb across the street. He died in my arms and went doing what he loved to do.

So please ride for him and keep a special place in your heart for my fallen brother. Thank you and feel free to contact me at any time at this e-mail address. Also, please feel free to forward this letter to anyone else that may want or need to hear this story. I'm sure I missed some people since Robert touched such a big set of friends and family, so do me this small favor and spread the word.
Love,
Carl Hyndman

Bud_E
11-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Las Flores isn't a very enjoyable descent to me. It's so steep and windy that by the time I get to the bottom my hands and neck are aching from riding the brakes.

hairylegs
11-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Tom, thanks for sharing this letter. I'm writing Carl now.

Tom Byrnes
11-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Wow. Sorry to hear that. Las Flores isn't a very enjoyable descent to me. It's so steep and windy that by the time I get to the bottom my hands and neck are aching from riding the brakes.

Bud, I agree with you completely. Several members of our cycling club and I will not descend either Las Flores or Las Tunas as both are too steep, windy and dangerous. The only way to descend is to ride the brakes all the way down. That's no fun.

tiretrax
11-06-2011, 04:17 PM
That's very tragic. I am saddened to hear of this accident. How terrible for his family and those riding with him. RIP.