PDA

View Full Version : A naive question about TdF jerseys...

L84dinr
07-26-2005, 01:01 PM
I don't know who the last Pro was to wear multiple jerseys at the TdF. But it certainly hasn't happened in the last seven Tours. Have their been some kind of "instructions" from the UCi or Organzers for the wearer of the MJ to not race for the green or Polka Dot jersey? Or is/has the racing become more specialized to the point where it is harder to go for the green or the polka dot whilst racing for the Yellow Jersey.

rtp

BURCH
07-26-2005, 01:11 PM
A person can hold more than one jersey at a time, but can only wear one. See below From, "http://www.letour.fr/2005/TDF/LIVE/us/400/r1_enjeux.html"

Article 10 - Leaders' jerseys
Leaders in the general time, points, best climber and youth general time classifications must wear:
• in the first case, the "yellow jersey";
• in the second case, the "green jersey";
• in the third case, the "red polka dot jersey";
• in the fourth case, the "white jersey".

Leaders' jerseys will be worn in the following order: first the yellow jersey, then the green jersey, followed by the red polka dot and white jerseys. If a rider is leading in more than one general classification, he will, of course, wear only one jersey in compliance with this order of priority. The riders occupying the 2nd, 3rd or 4th positions in the corresponding classification standings will then wear the other jerseys. [...]

L84dinr
07-26-2005, 01:21 PM
I think my question wasn't phrased correctly. I am certain Eddy Merckx won the tour (Yellow Jersey) as well as being the top sprinter (green jersey) and perhaps as the KOM (polka dot jersey). I think Hinault was aslo a multiple jersey TdF winner.

My question was with regards to whether the organizers have tried to put the Kaibosh on a rider trying to win multiple jerseys so other teams can get the exposure. An no I am not a conspiracy nut... just curious why it hasn't happened in such a long while; could it be the specialization(?) of racing?

rtp

jeffg
07-26-2005, 01:22 PM
but recall last year when Voeckler held both the maillot jaune and the best young rider's jersey. Sandy Casar wore the white jersey until Voeckler lost yellow.

BURCH
07-26-2005, 01:27 PM
I think my question wasn't phrased correctly. I am certain Eddy Merckx won the tour (Yellow Jersey) as well as being the top sprinter (green jersey) and perhaps as the KOM (polka dot jersey). I think Hinault was aslo a multiple jersey TdF winner.

My question was with regards to whether the organizers have tried to put the Kaibosh on a rider trying to win multiple jerseys so other teams can get the exposure. An no I am not a conspiracy nut... just curious why it hasn't happened in such a long while; could it be the specialization(?) of racing?

rtp

Oh, I see what you are asking now. Sorry. Not sure about that one....

max_powers
07-26-2005, 03:01 PM
it looked like a collage of the other jeseys

Tony Edwards
07-26-2005, 03:40 PM
If memory serves, Alex Stieda won all of the jerseys the first day of the 1986 Tour, no mean feat.

Bill Bove
07-26-2005, 06:06 PM
it looked like a collage of the other jeseys
Yes, there was a "combined" jersey. It was discontinued about ten years ago with the red jersey for the most agressive rider and the white for the young rider, the white was brought back after a while but the red was replaced by a red racing number and the combined just went away. I liked the combined jersey.