PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Altamira

beungood
11-05-2011, 03:14 PM
Today on a group ride a friend showed up on demo version of a bike she is considering. It is a Fuji Altamira. I looks like a well designed frame and seems pretty fast. She rode very well on it, much faster than usual. The LBS owner/mech (one man show ,owner races/rides Road ,TT and MTB) set it up very close to the fit she is riding now.Anyone have any experience with it? Amazing how the bike seemed to tranform her riding!! Got me thinking maybe a new bike to replace the Hors...

learlove
11-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Amazing how the bike seemed to tranform her riding!! Got me thinking maybe a new bike to replace the Hors...

Yeah - don't think so. Unless she was previously riding a 30+ year old Huffy or Schwinn Varsity there is nothing one well fitting high(er) end bike is going to do over another that will magically transform her (or his) riding.

ultraman6970
11-06-2011, 09:32 AM
There are differences between bikes and bikes, there is a phycological factor too. The other thing is that the altamira is the super high end from fuji i believe so it should ride different than other ones too.

Well good luck.

fourflys
11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
The other thing is that the altamira is the super high end from fuji i believe so it should ride different than other ones too.

depends on which Altamira... there is the D6 carbon like the pros ride and then some of the lower Altamira's have the C4 carbon... not saying I could tell the difference since I ride steel currently, but there is a difference in Altamira's...

BTW- if I were looking at a new Fuji, I'd be looking hard at the Gran Fondo that is new for 2012... it has the C6 carbon and kitted out with Ultegra is around $3k... they do offer an Ultegra DI2 version, not sure on price though...

Fixed
11-06-2011, 11:17 AM
it is a grand bike well 10 times that http://madisonbicycleshop.com/product/11fuji-altamira-ltd-77083-1.htm
cheers

ultraman6970
11-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Why fuji when u can get bmc :P

beungood
11-15-2011, 07:00 PM
As far as me getting a new one, I meant an upgrade to the Hors ,Like the Otrott with the DKS replacement ...

rnhood
11-15-2011, 07:02 PM
One of the current cycling magazines ("Peloton" I think) has a review of the Altamira 2 and they liked it....a bunch. In fact they declare it a downright bargain.

Louis
11-15-2011, 07:08 PM
She rode very well on it, much faster than usual.

Got to be fit, psychology, or something like that. There is no "magic potion" material or frame tubing choice that will magically make someone dramatically faster, unless the previous bike was something like this:

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_72412181LBJ_no_title.jpg

learlove
11-16-2011, 01:03 AM
Got to be fit, psychology, or something like that. There is no "magic potion" material or frame tubing choice that will magically make someone dramatically faster, unless the previous bike was something like this:

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/stockphotopro_72412181LBJ_no_title.jpg

winner winner chicken dinner

cmg
11-16-2011, 08:05 AM
what wheels came with the Fuji? What wheels are on her normal ride? Suspect that's where the difference is.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2011, 08:07 AM

But, but, but...it says in the ad...

"Fuji's Altamira LTD is limited for a reason: this bike is almost too fast to let out on the open roads"

and....

"the Altamira's highly-shaped tubes lead to an massive junction with an oversize BB86 bottom bracket for instantaneous power-transfer. The integrated seatmast maximizes your power even further and the whispy seatstays flex slightly to provide a smooth, compliant ride that'll melt away long miles. Up front, Fuji's FC-330 fork is tapered for near-telepathic corner carving ability."

Whispy??

Ya mean ya gotta pedal it?

beungood
11-16-2011, 04:19 PM
It was a high end Altimira with the higher spec wheels. I think she went with the Women's specific frame. I think the bike is speced with lower end wheels. A buddy said she was rocking it last weekend and one of the more competitve women wants to outride her...... Im going to have to make that next ride...

Jack Brunk
11-16-2011, 04:39 PM
That's the reason certain bike makers are doing well right now. A demo fleet works. It's like test driving a car. In Southern California, there's a not a weekend that goes by that a bike shop or bike maker isn't putting on a demo ride/BBQ. It attracts and people buy. Pretty simple.

learlove
11-16-2011, 08:50 PM
It was a high end Altimira with the higher spec wheels. I think she went with the Women's specific frame. I think the bike is speced with lower end wheels. A buddy said she was rocking it last weekend and one of the more competitve women wants to outride her...... Im going to have to make that next ride...

or maybe she bought Lance's house in TX with the "special" refrigerator in the garage.