PDA

View Full Version : USPS - Actovegin

LegendRider
07-26-2005, 12:09 PM
I'm not trying to start a "drugs in cycling" debate, nor am I accusing USPS or Lance of anything. However, I'd like to know more about the Actovegin "scandal" a few years ago. I recall that it was a new drug developed in Russia from cow's blood or liver and it was not on the banned list. After it was discovered in Postal's medical kit (or was it "declared" by USPS), they said it was used for a staff member with diabetes (is that right?). I seem to recall Actovegin showing up in a Spanish drug raid. So, what's the story? Is it a performance-enhancing drug?

bostondrunk
07-26-2005, 12:16 PM
http://www.nycomed.com/en/Menu/Products/Actovegin.htm

e-RICHIE
07-26-2005, 12:41 PM
my recollection on the issue is that the product was
found in medical waste that postal team workers had
discarded along the road. i don't remember if it was
found in one or several roadside waste baskets.
initially the team denied being in possession of the
drug - made with calve's liver extract or some such
thing - and then later copped to it by saying, yeah
it was ours and we use it to treat some ?? ailments
that plague some mid-level staffers.
perhaps i am mistaken but, though it does have
performance enhancing attributes, it was not at
that time on the banned list but was soon thereafter.

spatz
07-26-2005, 01:40 PM
You shouldn't read too much into it as I believe the drugs were there as a precautionary measure should there be any bovine/cyclist "incidents." :banana:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40382000/jpg/_40382163_cows_getty.jpg

I personally believe however that some group/organization has to be paying to have all those cameo cow tour appearances, who and toward what end I'm not sure at the moment....

spatz :)

Too Tall
07-26-2005, 01:57 PM
hahah not trying to start a drug debate. Good one.
I remember that too and it inspired me to start a "what if" protfolio of synthetic blood substitutes....which by the way all pretty well tanked.

"Don’t you know, you could make more money as a butcher? So, don’t waste your time on me..." F.Zappa.-issimo.