PDA

View Full Version : Re-use wipperman connex links?

bikerboy337
11-04-2011, 03:48 PM
Time to change chains, I've always used campy chains (veloce or centaur) with wipperman connex links... and always changed the links... is there a need to change the link or can I just use the old one? I love the links (allow for quick and easy chain cleaning and swapping of chains)... but i dont like adding $15 to every chain swap....

any thoughts?

thanks!

thinpin
11-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I have done this with no problems. But there comes a time when I just retire them. I run 3 chains/1 link per cassette rotating them until the cassette is flogged then change the lot.

roydyates
11-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Time to change chains, I've always used campy chains (veloce or centaur) with wipperman connex links... and always changed the links... is there a need to change the link or can I just use the old one? I love the links (allow for quick and easy chain cleaning and swapping of chains)... but i dont like adding $15 to every chain swap....

any thoughts?

thanks!
My rule on reusing links is that if the link looks old and rusty then I don't reuse it; however, my standards are low. So low that I use shimano-compatible chains with the really cheap KMC quick links that sell in a sixpak for something like $6. I don't know if KMC sells them for campy.

Elefantino
11-04-2011, 05:16 PM
I can't remember the last time I bought new Connex links. I must be on my third or fourth chain with both of my sets.

old_fat_and_slow
11-04-2011, 05:20 PM
Reuse em. Throw out when you change cassettes.

Ken Robb
11-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Since the link carries little or no tension from pedaling and is just there to keep the side-plate from lifting off I'd use them as long as they secured the plate adequately.

wasfast
11-04-2011, 06:55 PM
I reuse the links too. However, I'd inspect them after 3 chains or so. I broke 2 of them last year due to the press fit pin on one side working loose and ultimately failing. That makes for a long walk home since I didn't have a spare link in my tool bag on the bike.......

Ralph
11-04-2011, 06:56 PM
If/when I reuse them, I pack a lot of grease around the pins.

oldpotatoe
11-05-2011, 07:29 AM

any thoughts?

thanks!

Links wear like chains. You ought to change them, IMHO. If ya don't like the $, use a KMC 10s chain, about $40, works really well, with a link. IMHO, Wipperman chains are expensive, don't shift as well and 'seem' to wear out cogsets but as they say, YMMV.

Elefantino
11-05-2011, 07:36 AM
IMHO, Wipperman chains are expensive, don't shift as well and 'seem' to wear out cogsets but as they say, YMMV.
I agree with all three.

KMC 10XL chains are cool, too, but also don't seem to shift near as well as Record.