PDA

View Full Version : Keirin in Japan

jimmyreqs
11-04-2011, 01:08 PM
Okay, I don't really know much about Keirin Cycling but I'm planning to be in Japan this summer and thought that it would be fun to check out some races if it's possible. My trip is still in the planning stages so where I'll be is pretty open but I think I'll be there for a few weeks in June. Has anyone seen Keirin live in Japan? Is it worth checking out? Any suggestions where I should go (for Keirin and in Japan in general)?

Fixed
11-04-2011, 01:21 PM
tomity is a pro racer and
is a member of the forum
give him a line
find him in the members list
cheers he lives in Tokyo

fiamme red
11-04-2011, 01:23 PM
tomity is a pro racer and
is a member of the forum
give him a line
find him in the members list
cheers he lives in Tokyohttp://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=49737

jimmyreqs
11-04-2011, 01:37 PM
That's a great thread. Thanks guys. This forum is awesome :hello:

rwsaunders
11-04-2011, 03:42 PM
Tomity rocks...I haven't seen him on here for a while.

jimmyreqs
11-05-2011, 09:19 AM
Has anyone seen a race in Japan?

verticaldoug
11-05-2011, 10:21 AM
I lived there for 17 years. Here's my recommendations:

1. If you can, go end of May/very early June. Raining season starts mid-June, lasts towards end of July and is not much fun. Last two weeks of May are probably your best bet.

2. Keirin racing can be fun, but in Japan, they bet on it. So there is a bit of a horse track vibe with the gamblers. If Tomity comes on line and is willing to show you the track, it is best to go with him. You can get the insider view of the track. If this is not possible, then there is a big G1 race in Biwako which is near Kyoto in Kansai area of Japan in early June. There are only 6 G1 races in Japan per year so this is the best racing. It should also be televised. You can plan a trip to visit Kyoto/Nara and hit the race all in a 3 day weekend. Otherwise, I'd probably give it a miss because there is so much other stuff to see and do.

3. There is a cycling path on the Tama River which runs between Tokyo/Kawasaki to Hachioji. Between Tachikawa and Hachioji, you will frequently find Keirin racers on recovery rides on Sunday morning. Some of them look like little hercules riding their bikes. There is a race track at Tachikawa that is why they ride this section. If you can find a bike, worth riding. Besides, riding on the river, you really get to see how the Japanese live in the suburbs.

4. Your best bike shop in Tokyo is Nalsima Frend. http://www.nalsimafrend.jp

Last time I was there, they only took cash. Their club kit is nice. If you want to buy it, you have to join the club. Club fee costs 5,000 yen then you can buy the kit.

5. There is so much to do in Japan, I hope you have a great trip. One thing I really recommend is the Tokyo Sky Tree. This thing looks like someone dropped a oil rig in the center of Tokyo. When you see it up close, you think Spielberg and Lucas must be making a scifi movie. Worth a visit.
http://www.tokyo-skytree.jp/english/design/maxheight.html

The footprint is a triangle and it is just mass of tubes.