PDA

View Full Version : Residual TDF banter

e-RICHIE
07-26-2005, 09:34 AM
From today's paper, aka New York Times...

A Sports Business article on Lance Armstrong,
entitled Stages of a Global Brand In the Tour de Lance
by Richard Sandomir

excerpt:

"If not for Lance, we wouldn't be expanding our
factory and we wouldn't have new offices with
carpeting and windows and a gym," he said.

"he" being Zap Espinoza, Trek company spokesman and
one time enfant terrible of the mtb publishing world.

Too Tall
07-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I'm thinking of Mr. "Ts" tag line catch phrase at this moment.
thanks for that.

chrisroph
07-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Zap works for Trek? Wow, didn't know that. Oh well, everybody wants regular meals.

Yesterday, I was over at the office of a large portland law firm for a meeting and saw on the front page of the ny times a picture of the peloton parading down the champs elysees, and a picture of cyclists on the cover of newyorker magazine. On rides over the weekend, passing motorists gave me a wide berth, the thumbs up, a smile and a wave, instead of the more typical salutation. I could get used to that treatment.

Ozz
07-26-2005, 10:14 AM
From today's paper, aka New York Times...

A Sports Business article on Lance Armstrong,
entitled Stages of a Global Brand In the Tour de Lance
by Richard Sandomir

excerpt:

"If not for Lance, we wouldn't be expanding our
factory and we wouldn't have new offices with
carpeting and windows and a gym," he said.

"he" being Zap Espinoza, Trek company spokesman and
one time enfant terrible of the mtb publishing world.

Is that our "zap"?....

Anyway, the Seattle P-I ran an article about Trek in the Business sections recently...they've grown from $50MM in sales (1990) to $500MM this current year, and are planning a large factory expansion. The theme of the article seemed to be the "Lance Effect" on their success. I thought that they rolled the dice pretty well when they signed up to be his sponsor.

My next thought was that I would hate to see their sales go from $500MM to $50MM during the next 10 years now that Lance is retired....it will be interesting to see how they sustain the momentum Lance brought to their business.

chrisroph
07-26-2005, 10:21 AM
Doesn't Trek have something like a 30% market share in the us? It seems like they are everywhere. This past Sunday, my team was descending the face of bald peak, which is 10-12% or so for a couple miles. I was riding my new to me legend, took the lead and fully tucked. There were some tricky and gusty winds but they didn't faze me and I hit 53.3 mph. When I hit the runout, my 2 teammates on treks who had been dogging me on the top slopes were gone. On the bottom, they complained of speed wobble and said they had to brake.

coylifut
07-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Doesn't Trek have something like a 30% market share in the us? It seems like they are everywhere. This past Sunday, my team was descending the face of bald peak, which is 10-12% or so for a couple miles. I was riding my new to me legend, took the lead and fully tucked. There were some tricky and gusty winds but they didn't faze me and I hit 53.3 mph. When I hit the runout, my 2 teammates on treks who had been dogging me on the top slopes were gone. On the bottom, they complained of speed wobble and said they had to brake.

knowing those guys and that hill, they likely froze on the yolk and were driving the plane into the mountain

chrisroph
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Coy--No doubt part of the situation. After all, disco rode 'em well in France. And you know who I'm talking about. As I told you last night while we were spinnin' around, CC needs a winter on rollers.

Fixed
07-26-2005, 01:33 PM
I bet your team mates were on clinchers.Cheers

chrisroph
07-26-2005, 02:38 PM
They were (but so was I--nucleons).

slowgoing
07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Trek better enjoy it while the gettin's good.

marle
07-26-2005, 03:51 PM
Is your Legend an ST? Is your geometry standard or custom? thanks