PDA

View Full Version : OT: Sous Vide Supreme

Cinci Jim
11-04-2011, 10:23 AM
Anyone use one? Experiences? Likes & dislikes? Thinking about getting one based on tasting the results from dinner with friends, but I thought I'd ask a broader audience.

Ozz
11-04-2011, 10:34 AM
A friend of mine has one.....he cooked some tri-tips in it for us.....very underwhelming. He needed to sear them afterwards to put some flavor on them.

I guess pro-chefs like them....I get the science behind it, but I guess I am an old fashion cook and not yet sold on the idea...., however, I have not really investigated the full range of applications.

flydhest
11-04-2011, 10:55 AM
If you have not been to one of the Momofuku restaurants in NYC, you should. Regardless, you should get the cookbook. David Chang is funny and has a certain style. He describes a way of doing sous vide without a sous vide machine that might be worth trying to see if you really want to take the plunge.

The searing that Ozz notes is a good point, and lots of people do a two-stage thing, and for good reason. Searing is good. One solution is to use a torch (either a creme brulee one, or, as I do when I make creme brulee, a regular plumber's torch) and just crust them with fire directly.

http://www.momofuku.com/

nauqneyugn
11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
I have one and it works well for its intended purpose. I thought that because it didn't have any method of circulating the water, there would be hotter and colder zones, but everything is looking good thus far.

My only complaint is that it does take some time to get up to temperature (but you can help it along by putting hot tap water in) and that the manual says you should remove the water after each use and dry it thoroughly. I always forget how much water is actually in it and dump it into the sink way too fast and get water everywhere. :o

I personally wanted a Poly Science, but I got this for $120 new, so I'm not complaining.

Also, I believe David Chang doesn't vacuum seal items. Rather he just puts them into zip lock bags and gets as much air out as possible.

Ozz
11-04-2011, 11:04 AM
....Searing is good. One solution is to use a torch (either a creme brulee one, or, as I do when I make creme brulee, a regular plumber's torch) and just crust them with fire directly.

http://www.momofuku.com/
thread drift....I have a "brulee" torch which uses butane as a fuel....plumbers torch uses propane.....I have always been curious if the fuel type matters for cooking? Which one burns cleaner, more completely, imparts any flavors? Do you have any info on this?

nauqneyugn
11-04-2011, 11:06 AM
thread drift....I have a "brulee" torch which uses butane as a fuel....plumbers torch uses propane.....I have always been curious if the fuel type matters for cooking? Which one burns cleaner, more completely, imparts any flavors? Do you have any info on this?

In my experience, fuel does matter. Propane can leave metallic flavors, butane is much better at being neutral.

staggerwing
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Have you had a chance to play with the process yet? If not, might start with the Serious Eats Beer Cooler Steak (http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html).

Last summer I had one of the better local butchers (since you are a fellow Cincinnatian, Avril-Bleh down on Court St.) dry age a prime strip, with a final yield of 12 steaks. Needed to cook a nice dinner for my dad on Fathers Day, and this was a perfect time to try a beer cooler steak. Did all the prep and loaded the cooler at my place, and a few hours later, enjoyed a great steak at his house. Still had to take up a cast iron skillet, for generating the final sear.

The results weren't enough better though that I would go through the effort at home. When timing is a little flexible, I can generate at least as tasty a final result on my grill. For a party, where you might want to get as much of the heavy lifting out of the way up front, it would be just the ticket.

I also can see where it might be great for delicate proteins, like seafood, that can go from raw to rubber in a few short moments. Again, I generally don't have too much of an issue if I minimize all distractions.