PDA

View Full Version : First Bike Swap Meet Questions

rhump
11-04-2011, 07:19 AM
Hey Everyone,

I've never attended a bike swap meet and we have what is claimed to be the largest in the Southeast this weekend. I have a really nice Salsa Las Cruces cyclocross bike that doesn't fit very well and I'm thinking about hauling up to swap meet. My question is if this is alright to do? I don't want to be the only guy trying to maneuver a bike through the crowd. I'm hoping to either sell it or ideally trade it for a 29er mountain bike. Is it realistic to think someone would be willing to trade bikes?

Any insight you can provide would be great. I've attended hundred of gun shows were it is perfectly acceptable to bring in your own gear and sell and trade. I just wasn't sure about bike swap meets since this will be my first.

Thanks for your time,

Rob

pitcrew
11-04-2011, 07:40 AM
I've been to the Big Stampede many times over the years. I'd say it gets a pretty good turnout (all things considered). Last years swap meet seemed (to me) to be a little down over some of the previous years.

All kinds of wheelin' and dealin' goes on, so it's not out of the question that you might be able to make a deal and trade your cross bike (or sell it). Now, individuals, teams, shops, manufacturers who are "selling" have to pay a fee so keep that in mind.

rhump
11-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Thanks, that is just the kind of information I was looking for. I'm not trying to step on any toes and if I need to pay a fee or something to sell the bike I will. I just don't have enough stuff to sell to justify renting a table or anything. Ideally, I'm hoping for a trade.

pitcrew
11-04-2011, 07:55 AM
My $.02 is that I don't think you'll have a problem with bringing the bike in. You're going to pay admission, and as you mentioned you don't have enough to justify renting a sales spot. As long as it's just the bike I don't think you'll have a problem. I'd probably make some type of sign to hang on the bike that you're looking to trade for 29er etc.

FastVegan
11-04-2011, 08:35 AM
Most swaps have a "bike corral" where you pay a small fee, $10 or so, and leave your bike there with a sign with your cell#, when someone sees it they ring you up and make the deal.

Talk to the folks running it, I bet theyhave one.

Dave
(swap meet pro)

Ken Robb
11-04-2011, 08:57 AM
The San Diego Swap Meet is a twice-a-year event at the Velodrome. Sellers all have to pay a fee above general admission but it's based on the space required. Small scale sellers often just have a few things next to their folding chair.
Cheaters who want to avoid the $15 seller's fee sometimes walk around with a sign like "Serotta Ottrot FS/Trade. Ask me." OTOH general admission is about $5 so they are only saving $10. The other aspect: it makes sense for some eager buyers to pay the seller's fee to get in before the gates open for buyers because many of the best deals are between sellers before the buyers even get in.