PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless Hutchinson RE-seat

hairylegs
11-03-2011, 08:01 PM
Sorry for all the questions...but this is the best forum around and I've searched high and low!

So I had my first flat since I started running tubeless in the spring. I've got the Dura Ace rims and Hutchinson Fusion 3 with Stan's. I guess the Stan's really only does last 6 months!!!

Anyway, I've tried for the life of my getting both tires to reseat on the rim and the bead will just not go. I've tried my air compressor, C02, and it just leaks out. Am I missing something? Is it possible my tires are shot? I even tried putting a tube in one of the tires to see if I could get the bead to seat and it did, but when I deflated the tube there went the bead as well.

I not running any sealant yet - I just got Stan's stems with removable cores so I was hoping to mount the tire first then add the Cafe Latex stuff.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!!!

gregblow
11-03-2011, 08:08 PM
i run dura ace tubless also. it took me a while to understand the extra care you have to take when pumping up the tires. i can do it now with no problem. so hang in there. it gets better.

tips: first, make sure the tire is seated around the stem. very important! sometimes you really need to push the beads down so they get by the stem and down to the rim.

second, you need to make sure the tire beads are pushed AWAY from the beads all the way around the rest of the rim. i know, it sounds counterinutitive. but with the beads in this position, it allows the air to fill up the tire and gently push the beads out toward the rim.

you shouldnt need to use a compressor! ever. it is an art. stick with it.

finally, you can youtube for videos for help.

good luck

hairylegs
11-03-2011, 08:23 PM
Thanks Gregg - Gonna go try this now.... :)

hairylegs
11-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Man...I'm thinking there's something going on - I followed this to the tee and cannot get it to seat around the stem. Is it possible the bead is bad on both my tires? The rims? I don't remember much trouble when I first did this back in May....is resuing tires harder?

Thanks for any additional help!

SpeedyChix
11-04-2011, 05:39 AM
Take the valve stem out and check the inside of the rim for corrosion.

dekindy
11-04-2011, 06:54 AM
second, you need to make sure the tire beads are pushed AWAY from the beads all the way around the rest of the rim. i know, it sounds counterinutitive. but with the beads in this position, it allows the air to fill up the tire and gently push the beads out toward the rim.

This tip I have not read before and I will try it the next time I inflate a new tire. I have always gotten them inflated using your first tip combined with getting the beads seated all the way around often with a lot of effort and sweat; so I have just been taking them to the LBS and using their compressor which works every time. Now that I think about it, I do remember one of my tires inflating easily and I did not know why since the beads were not even close to sealed but I did not notice if it was all the way around like you recommend.

Where did you get this tip or did you figure it out on your own?

blantonator
11-04-2011, 08:34 AM
mine (dura-ace + atoms) were a real bitch to seat without TONS of soupy water.