PDA

View Full Version : chicago

malcolm
07-26-2005, 08:56 AM
I'm going to be in chicago this week and was wondering if there are any bike shops there worth visiting while there. I've been many times just never checked out the shops. Malcolm

AHava
07-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Where in the city will you be?

george
07-26-2005, 10:03 AM
If you want to check out a Serotta shop (one of three in the metro area) ride to 4359 W Irving Park Rd. Get a Grip Cycles...Adam and Kevin are your hosts...they are closed on Thursdays

malcolm
07-26-2005, 11:01 AM
I think we are staying at the intercontinential near michigan ave.. We may or may not rent a car. Thanks

Ken Robb
07-26-2005, 12:39 PM
We were just there and if you like wine, cheese and food you might want to try Bin 36 just north of the House of Blues. Besides a full menu they offer many flights of 2.5 ounces of four different but related wines to taste and similar flights of cheeses. We had great fun trying 12 different wines instead of one whole bottle.

AHava
07-26-2005, 02:37 PM
There's a new place quite close to your hotel. Bookoo Bikes, a Minneapolis chain of great big bike stores, has opened up a branch in the Marshall Fields on Michigan Ave. It's managed by a guy well known to most cyclists in Chicago, Pete Janunas.

I've heard mixed things about the place, but it's close.

For something further afield but far more interesting, check out Yojimbo's Garage near North Ave. and Clybourn (Clybourn stop on the Red Line, catch the Red Line underneath State St. just west of where you're staying).
http://www.yojimbosgarage.com/

Continuing on the Red Line all the way up into Evanston, my local shop is Turin bikes. The owner, Chris Mailing, used to ride a CSI, but he bought the shop and they do other stuff. Turin's a great shop and they carry all kinds of sexy stuff. Biggest Moots dealer in the world if I recall.

Clay
07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Village Cycle 1337 North Wells if you want to see the nations top Trek dealer. Dave Wilson is your host there and he has a good number of Madone's in stock I hear. Kevin Corselo [sic] is great over at Get a Grip too!

Needs Help
07-26-2005, 02:59 PM
I'm going to be in chicago this week and was wondering if there are any bike shops there worth visiting while there.
Nope.

Hard Fit
07-27-2005, 08:10 AM
Not really. I have heard that Yojimbo's is an interesting place if it is still open. If you are looking for a part, he might have it. The suburbs probably have the biggest shops. I suggest you forget the bike for a while and just enjoy all the other cultural activities the city has to offer.

Ken Robb
07-27-2005, 11:27 AM
the "bike shop" in Marshall Fields is small w/very little stock--not worth walking a block to see.