PDA

View Full Version : Computrainer Question

dekindy
11-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I now have two sources, on in Fort Wayne and the other is closer on the south side of Indianapolis, to ride a Computrainer. Both are multi-user versions.

What would be the best approach for someone that has never used a Computrainer and wants to use this as a tryout to determine if he wants to purchase one? Particular workout or course that would be recommended to get a feel for the experience.

I am assuming both have wall mounted video monitors but will verify. Which begs another question, what should I make sure about the equipment setups to get the full experience?

djg21
11-03-2011, 01:11 PM
FYI, the Computrainer 3D software is being replaced soon with a new RacermateOne software. I've been involved in the beta testing for the new software, and it is really slick! It allows multiple (up to 8) pacers that you can set up various ways, including as "smart" pacers that, in a nut shell, make the riding and training experience much more realistic. The new software is vastly improved, and should be available sometime soon. (There apparently is some type of dispute between the business entities that contributed to the development of the new software, and the launch of the is beiing held up). My understanding is that if you purchase now, you will be entitled to a free upgrade when RacermateOne is released.

That being said, check out the current 3D software, a Realtime video, and if possible, an Ergvideo (http://www.ergvideo.com).

Once you get a Computrainer, I strongly suggest building a trainer platform as described on RacerMate's website at: http://www.computrainer.com/dnloads/raceplatform.pdf. You will lose portability, but the platform makes the Computrainer really solid, and stops it from migrating across the floor during efforts.

1centaur
11-03-2011, 05:05 PM
The new software has been "coming" for over 12 months. But the old software is fine for understanding why a CT is great.

I don't have a platform, I have a rubber mat on carpet, and I have never had a migration issue in 8+ years of riding it 250 days+ a year.

I have my settings set up to show the hill profile at the bottom of the screen. Pick any course with rolling hills that's at least 3-4 miles long and you'll understand what the CT does just fine. Ride it like you'd ride the road. I might also suggest a flat course and pick a pacer in the set-up screen so you can feel the drafting. (Make sure you have an experienced user around so you don't have to look through manuals.)

Best possible computer (PCs favored) will help future proof you. Look at the ergvideo site for a sense of what HD videos require from video boards.

I put a small flat screen on a swingarm in front of the handlebars - you don't need a big screen farther away.

Do the 10-minute warm-up and roll down to set the watt measurement correctly.

You can get out of a 3D course at will and pick a new one, and you can "start from" points within a 3D course, so don't be mental about which course you choose - the next one is 20 seconds away.

Tell us how you like it when you're done.

dekindy
11-03-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks to both of you. 1Centaur that is a great roadmap and I will make sure to specify this agenda for my session.

happycampyer
11-03-2011, 07:55 PM
Maybe it's a carry-over from when I had a coach sending me workout files for use with the coaching software, but I tend to do a lot of structured interval workouts on the CT using the coaching software. If you are interested in more detail, send me a pm. The ergvideos are very cool, but I usually don't like to spend that much time on the trainer. Even as dated at the user interface is, the CT is a fantastic device.

I have a cyclops mat that prevents slipping (any rubber mat will do).

1centaur
11-03-2011, 08:10 PM
The Central Park 3D course is an ideal way to experience the CT. 6.1 miles of rolling roads; 17-23 minutes depending on how much you push yourself. Does not start going up a hill, which can be a real turn-off to a CT newcomer.

oldguy00
11-04-2011, 06:22 AM
I've tried computrainers a few times.
They are very good trainers, very good customer service too.

However, IMHO, if you don't typically like working out on an indoor trainer, the Computrainer will not necessarily change that. I found staring at a computer player, or even watching a video that changes speed according to my pedaling, rather boring. But that's just me.
My current favorite indoor workout involves a normal mag trainer (Tacx Satori at the moment) and a Sufferfest video. Check out the 'fight club' suffervest video, it rocks.
:beer:

BillG
11-04-2011, 06:32 AM
I stream movies and just use the Computrainer head unit to vary wattage. That allows me to do structured intervals, or whatever else, and watch something less boring.

dekindy
11-04-2011, 06:37 AM
I've tried computrainers a few times.
They are very good trainers, very good customer service too.

However, IMHO, if you don't typically like working out on an indoor trainer, the Computrainer will not necessarily change that. I found staring at a computer player, or even watching a video that changes speed according to my pedaling, rather boring. But that's just me.
My current favorite indoor workout involves a normal mag trainer (Tacx Satori at the moment) and a Sufferfest video. Check out the 'fight club' suffervest video, it rocks.
:beer:

I did not like riding trainers until I did interval training two Winters ago and made significant gains. Now I look forward to Winter because that is the time that I can do structured workouts and improve my cycling. 16-week structured group program this year at a training facility and possibly a Computrainer next year.