PDA

View Full Version : Painting a carbon fork

msplette
11-03-2011, 10:18 AM
I have recently come across a "like new" Scott front fork that would fit on my new frame I just ordered. The only problem is my new frame is white and red and the fork is carbon and blue. If I end up using the fork I am going to want to paint it either white or black. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sand/paint my fork?

RedRider
11-03-2011, 10:42 AM
I have recently come across a "like new" Scott front fork that would fit on my new frame I just ordered. The only problem is my new frame is white and red and the fork is carbon and blue. If I end up using the fork I am going to want to paint it either white or black. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to sand/paint my fork?

If you repaint a fork or frame it will usually void any warranty that still might apply. Personally, the integrity of a fork is too important to buy one second hand regardless of how "new" it might be.
My suggestion, check out Easton, Enve and Serotta fork options and sell the Scott fork. Most are available in a carbon clear which works with most bikes.

msplette
11-03-2011, 11:09 AM
If you repaint a fork or frame it will usually void any warranty that still might apply. Personally, the integrity of a fork is too important to buy one second hand regardless of how "new" it might be.
My suggestion, check out Easton, Enve and Serotta fork options and sell the Scott fork. Most are available in a carbon clear which works with most bikes.

Thanks, I am definitely considering other options, I was just hoping to use the Scott fork mainly because it was free, and is in excellent condition. This project is also a test run for repainting my old Trek 2200 composite...

AngryScientist
11-03-2011, 11:13 AM
you can certainly get good quality results painting a fork at home, if you know what you're doing.

for the project shown below, i used auto paint and a compressor fed spray system, but you can get just as good results from a rattle can, if you're diligent, patient, and have good attention to detail.

essentially, you need to rough up the clear coat finish with fine grit sandpaper, just to take the sharp gloss off the fork. mask, and carefully spray the fork with good auto quality paint (bought at the parts store...), let dry. wet sand lightly. another coat. wet sand lightly. another coat. wet sand lightly. clear coat. wet sand lightly. clear coat. finally polish with auto grade polishing compound to a high gloss shine.

if you take your time, and allow proper drying between coats, and do it at good temperature and humidity, it's possible to get very good results, and a long lasting, durable finish.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/--PdLV2fZ3uU/TnVATwRtjqI/AAAAAAAAAFM/KC8heKo27D8/s1600/DSCN2618.JPG

msplette
11-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Thanks AngryScientist. I think I will give it a try. I've painted steel and aluminum frames/forks before, but never carbon. With nothing but paint and sandpaper invested, I don't think I have much to lose. Cheers.

foo_fighter
11-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Don't sand it. Get some carbolift to remove all the paint. They shoot it with a few coats of clear.

ultraman6970
11-03-2011, 06:04 PM
The nice about painting carbon is that the surface dont need prep, just lightly sand and thats it.