PDA

View Full Version : A Serotta Carbon Frame is atop my Wish List

Smiley
11-03-2011, 05:52 AM
When I get back some frns after buy and equipping my wifes NOT SO Secret "B Day" present (a K Bedford Customs Sport Titanium Tourer BTW) I plan on working on buying a Carbon HSG Super Comp frameset. Gotta tell you boys and girls I have sold two now and both clients are super happy with these purcahses and both a very particular cyclists. Ofcourse our own Mod Pete McKeon LOVES his HSG and he also owns a Mievici too amongst his only one bike theory :)

Serotta builds a Very nice Carbon bike, the details on fit and finish are second to none and the Performance Geometry is very much to my liking but the Super Comp allows me to tweak it just a tad and select my color choices too. Check it out at a Fit Lab near you or call Steven LeBoyer for more details.

rugbysecondrow
11-03-2011, 06:01 AM
When I get back some frns after buy and equipping my wifes NOT SO Secret "B Day" present (a K Bedford Customs Sport Titanium Tourer BTW) I plan on working on buying a Carbon HSG Super Comp frameset. Gotta tell you boys and girls I have sold two now and both clients are super happy with these purcahses and both a very particular cyclists. Ofcourse our own Mod Pete McKeon LOVES his HSG and he also owns a Mievici too amongst his only one bike theory :)

Serotta builds a Very nice Carbon bike, the details on fit and finish are second to none and the Performance Geometry is very much to my liking but the Super Comp allows me to tweak it just a tad and select my color choices too. Check it out at a Fit Lab near you or call Steven LeBoyer for more details.

By one bike, does that mean one of everything Pete? I like it! :)

AngryScientist
11-03-2011, 06:02 AM
i've had the opportunity to see a few first hand, including at signature cycles in NYC.

i think, in my mind Serotta will always be known for custom steel and of course Ti, but there is no doubt after seeing these bikes that they are producing some of the best carbon bikes in the world right now as well.

Elefantino
11-03-2011, 06:06 AM
If Serotta's contraction means what we think it means — among many things that it is going to retract to producing the SE line only — doesn't that mean the eventual end of the HSG Super Comp?

Mr. Squirrel
11-03-2011, 06:09 AM
thank you for the intelligence. when will you be taking delivery mr. smiley?

mr. squirrel

palincss
11-03-2011, 06:15 AM
What are you hoping to get with this purchase that you don't have already?

Climb01742
11-03-2011, 06:33 AM

smiley, from a ride characteristic standpoint, why would this be your choice? thanks. ;)

jr59
11-03-2011, 06:57 AM
I hope your wife doesn't read the forum!

That, and I want to know more about this one bike at a time concept!
I really like the way this sounds, but I have been unable to master the idea!

Smiley
11-03-2011, 07:12 AM
smiley, from a ride characteristic standpoint, why would this be your choice? thanks. ;)

A super light and fast bike, most of my frames have been on the gentler side of things and I really hope to support Serotta with this purchase too. Besides its an opportunity to buy into another Serotta, May sell my Steel Uniscasi to fund the project.

dekindy
11-03-2011, 07:22 AM
I thought Serotta's were overpriced and their carbon frames used out of date lugged technology, basically out of touch with the market. I am really confused. :rolleyes:

Kontact
11-03-2011, 07:25 AM
A super light and fast bike, most of my frames have been on the gentler side of things and I really hope to support Serotta with this purchase too. Besides its an opportunity to buy into another Serotta, May sell my Steel Uniscasi to fund the project.
Is the spec'd weight of 1400 grams "super light" because that includes the fork, or is that the bare frame weight?

oldpotatoe
11-03-2011, 07:27 AM

Geeeezzzzz

rugbysecondrow
11-03-2011, 07:37 AM
Boy, folks sure are being argumentative. Either more coffee is needed or an early morning ride to get the kinks worked out. :rolleyes:

William
11-03-2011, 07:44 AM
Dudes (and Dudettes ;) ), Smiley is just letting us know he's going to support Ben the best he can. More power to him! :cool:

William

RedRider
11-03-2011, 08:05 AM
I thought Serotta's were overpriced and their carbon frames used out of date lugged technology, basically out of touch with the market. I am really confused. :rolleyes:

Serotta's lugged construction process and function is much different than that of a steel lug. It is formed with multiple layups and contributes to the dynamics of the ride. The carbon tubes are also part of the "fine tuning" for each rider. There are multiple options for each tube based on rider weight and stiffness desired. All the carbon parts are proprietary and made by Serotta in California. The Serotta lug/tube construction results in a very strong frame that if damaged can be repaired by replacing a tube.
You can built 2 MeiVici SE frames with the same geometry but select different tubing and you will have 2 different rides.
Call them overpriced? Well that depends on what you are comparing them with. If it's a Specialized SWorks, Madonne, etc...that's not apples to apples. You just can't compare a mass produced, molded carbon frame that has been designed for a large weight range with a handbuilt custom frame. It's like comparing a Corvette to a Porsche. Both are good cars but...

Tim Porter
11-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Smiley speaketh the truth about the HSG Customs:

http://gallery.me.com/timporter1/100154/IMG_0066/web.jpg?ver=12704002100001

:banana:

Tim

happycampyer
11-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Here's my take, adapted from a recent post of mine...

Over the past 6 or 7 years span, I have bought, ridden and sold many, many bikes. Since the boutique frames (other than Moots) were secondhand, I affectionately refer to the process as a "poor man's Pez" or Jack Brunk. Among the secondhand carbon bikes were a MeiVici SE, a MeiVici GS, a Parlee Z3 and a Crumpton SL. Of all of them, the SE had the best ride quality, but it was too big for me, as was the Z3. It was remarkable how differently the SE and GS rode.

When I finally determined that I had my fit figured out (with many thanks to Soren at Signature Cycles), I sold off a bunch of bikes and decided I was ready to get a frame custom made. I could have had the folks at Signature go to Bob (and Tom) at Parlee and say, "here are the contact points, can you make the frame a bit more compliant than s/n x?" But for me it was no-brainer to ask Serotta to mimic the tubing in the used SE, but in my size. I couldn't be happier with the result—it's even better than the used SE. The new SE gets ridden 90% of the time, and trust me, it has some good company.

xeladragon
11-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Tim

Wah wah wee wah...

Plum Hill
11-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Just received my eBay-purchased HSG yesterday.
Looks like a good decision, but stirring up jealousy with my Ottrott.

Fixed
11-03-2011, 10:04 AM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Serotta-Full-Carbon-Frame-Fork-and-Headset-56cm-/290627638754?pt=Road_Bikes&hash=item43aac1d5e2#ht_500wt_1200
another one
cheers

Nags&Ducs
11-03-2011, 10:13 AM

Tim

That is a wicked good-looking bike!!! Love the painted or tinted carbon in that color. Both Ben and Nick Crumpton do that color often and do it well.

Ozz
11-03-2011, 10:16 AM
probably a new bike..... :rolleyes: :cool: :beer:

eltonbalch
11-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Mine is a "Ready Custom" 56 CM and I am thankful for my Joe average body configuration :D . Steven LeBoyer did a fit for me and and that really dialed it in. It's great looking and it's a FANTASTIC ride!! Now...go press the "Buy" button :beer: .

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/EltonBalch/SerottaHSG.jpg

Lifelover
11-03-2011, 01:39 PM
Oops! I like carbon. Serotta is #1.

AngryScientist
11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
Almost every grocery store I shop at has an opened butcher area with a guy in a bloody white jacket that I can talk too. They will cut existing meat to order or you can make special request from un-butchered stock.

I know it’s not the same as a corner, hole in the wall butcher but it fully suits my needs.

wrong thread dude:)

c-record
11-03-2011, 02:14 PM
I recall reading somewhere a nice complimentary quote from Mr. Colnago stating that only two companies in the world know how to produce a world-class carbon bike. One was Colnago and the other was... Serotta. :)

Pete Serotta
11-03-2011, 03:06 PM

The HSG comp is one of the favorite carbon rides I have ridden over the past years. By comfortable I mean racy, spirited, and not limber but comfortable.

As to price, it is about the same as a Parlee Z5, which is also a nice frame but the Serotta is made in USA.

These are my two favorite rides, that is just my opinion. What technology and price were you referring to? Mike Lopez the lead on Serotta Carbon was also one of the founders of Reynolds carbon forks when they made them. I will match his knowledge and use of technology against any. :D :D and bet some RED wine on it.

Go with what puts a smile on your face and those are the two that I like the best,,,,but then you know which one nudges the bigger smile for me.

palincss
11-03-2011, 03:52 PM
Geeeezzzzz

Hardly. It's a serious question. If you have no idea why you are buying something, your chances of being satisfied are not good. I know Smiley has some nice bikes, and I was wondering what this new one would bring to the table that he doesn't already have, other than sheer novelty.

Think of it as an opportunity to wax lyrical about your hopes, aspirations, where you see yourself in five years. :)

oldpotatoe
11-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Hardly. It's a serious question. If you have no idea why you are buying something, your chances of being satisfied are not good. I know Smiley has some nice bikes, and I was wondering what this new one would bring to the table that he doesn't already have, other than sheer novelty.

Think of it as an opportunity to wax lyrical about your hopes, aspirations, where you see yourself in five years. :)

It's a bicycle the guy wants, a bicycle. So what if it's sheer novelty, riding a bike is sheer novelty.

Lighten up francis.