PDA

View Full Version : Use Google Maps to calculate distance

sjbraun
07-25-2005, 09:13 PM
I've been waiting for someone to add this feature to Google maps. Trace your route and distance is calculated for you. How cool is that?

http://www.sueandpaul.com/gmapPedometer/

At least in my neighborhood, it seems pretty accurate.

Steve- not that I keep track of annual mileage or anything like that

Russ
07-26-2005, 02:32 AM
Steve,

Rather than using and Internet based solution, I use MS Streets 2005 on the Windows PCs and Route 66 on The Mac. Both of these programs are accurate to 1/10 of a mile or more and you can zoom in a out and print very detailed maps. Much better than anything on the web... Now the minus point: These programs are not free!

Cheers!

OldDog
07-26-2005, 08:33 AM
Use a gps unit (I have a garmin etrex) to track your route via waypoints and download it to topo usa sofeware. theres a freebie program called map-to-cue to convert data to a route sheet. fun to play with.

keno
07-26-2005, 10:10 AM
I tried the program, which is neat. Unfortunately, I tried it on a section of my usual warmup loop of a bit over 6 miles, both according to bike computer and both of our cars, and the program came up with a little over 5 miles. I wonder if it does some kind of "as the crow flies" calculation?

keno

asgelle
07-26-2005, 10:23 AM
I just checked it between 2 points. The first time clicking on the start and end points. The second time I clicked intermediate points following the curves in the road. The first try gave 7.1 miles, the second, 8.4. So yes, I believe it calculates the straight line distance between the key points.

keno
07-26-2005, 11:35 AM
I agree. I think this program is useful for generally scoping out the distance of a new ride, but not very accurate as to actual mileage.

keno

FunkyPorcini
07-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Thank you very much for sharing. I have been looking for something like this.

One thing I think we are forgetting is that you can create permalinks of these routes which means that we can share our routes with each other and if someone wanted they could create a web page of zoomable maps with distances. Imagine the possibility. I wish I knew more about creating web pages.