PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Grip Shift/Cannondale

rwsaunders
11-02-2011, 06:58 PM
I spotted this relic today in a bike shop in Bedford, PA.

Bob Loblaw
11-02-2011, 07:28 PM
I am dating myself for sure here, but I knew a guy who rode one of those setups. He actually had a downtube lever for the front D and the Gripshift for the rear. I will also admit I coveted his bike. Granted at the time I was racing with friction shift which was antiquated even at that time.

BL

buldogge
11-02-2011, 07:42 PM
I run Gripshifts on my winter beater...rigid MTB with drop bars. I used the stock flat bar grip shifters and machined adapter plugs for the drop bar ends.

-Mark in St. Louis

mavic1010
11-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Looks like its a mavic support bike....

pitcrew
11-02-2011, 07:51 PM
I was in a local shop a few weeks go and they had an older model Serotta with Mavic Zap (functioning no less).

bart998
11-02-2011, 08:23 PM
The same gruppo on an old Dawes, but with downtube shifters... Guess I'm getting old.

buck-50
11-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure that crank is a suntour edge- looked a lot like the Mavic starfish but not quite as covetable...

Dave Wages
11-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Pretty sure that crank is a suntour edge- looked a lot like the Mavic starfish but not quite as covetable...

That's definitely the Mavic, prepare to covet!

pitcrew
11-02-2011, 08:53 PM
That's definitely the Mavic, prepare to covet!

+1. It's Mavic, not Suntour

Kontact
11-02-2011, 08:58 PM
I have most of those parts. Nice stuff, and you can disassemble all of it via circlips and screws.

I also have one of those frames - I bought it when I was 17.

Overall, that's a pretty neat set up. I do know a guy still using the CX-DT Grip Shifters for 8 speed road. He likes them.

oliver1850
11-02-2011, 11:23 PM
Old Guys' Thread. I had CX-DT shifters on an older Cannondale than that one for several years. Still have the bike and the shifters, but now running downtube shifters on it. I do have Gripshift on this Trek. It works fine, it's light, but probably takes more effort to shift.

Gummee
11-03-2011, 07:58 AM
I was in a local shop a few weeks go and they had an older model Serotta with Mavic Zap (functioning no less).
I owned both versions of Mavic's electronic shifters. Loved it when it had full battery power. :nod

That extra set of bar-top buttons made shifting in a climb a no-brainer. The buttons under my index finger made starting a sprint in a 'small' gear then popping gears as you accelerated very nice.

Funny thing is... I don't trust Shimano. I'm sure they're figuring out a way to make the next version not backwards-compatible. See Ultegra's electronic shifting for an example.

That yellow bike was a neutral support bike. Newer old Mavic parts. My college roommate is still running the 'erector set' rear derailleur and retrofriction shifters he got 'back then.' ...on an Aegis carbon bike!

M