PDA

View Full Version : OT Generators

tele
11-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Been without power since Saturday after our Trick not Treat storm.....looking at generators for the future. Looking at portable types: what do I need to know or look for?
thanks all
Kevin

AngryScientist
11-02-2011, 12:07 PM
first big question is what exactly do you want to power with the generator?

next, figure out how many watts you need total, and re-evaluate what you want or might not need during emergency power.

go from there...

KF9YR
11-02-2011, 12:08 PM
The Honda or Yamaha inverter type are small and quiet if you are looking at something to run a few lights and a small refrigerator.

I have a Honda 6500 liquid cooled one that can run a lot longer with heavier loads but it is also much more expensive.

Good Luck getting your power back soon!

zap
11-02-2011, 12:22 PM
as angry posted (how many watts), fuel type and hook up.

Remember, if you have area wide outage, no gasoline. You can't store gasoline for too long without adding stabilizers plus it's more dangerous (storage).

Diesel generators on the other hand......store as much diesel you think you need with little to worry about.

Connection. Best is to hire an electrician to install the male connection (exterior of house) that's wired to your panel. Panel should have a mechanical lock as you need to switch the main off from the utility. Custom cable too that's long enough to keep the running generator 10 or more feet away from the house. This also allows you to run central gas heat.

This is better than having extension cords running all over the place.

We have a gas generator and if an event is forcasted, I purchase enough gas to fill the generator tank (4 gallons), 2 containers (7 gallons), fill tractor (2 gallons) and fill one car with regular (18 gallons). Purchase a marine fuel pump to get gas out of car.

If we have any gas left when power comes back on, it goes in the old car.

bart998
11-02-2011, 12:40 PM
as angry posted (how many watts), fuel type and hook up.

Remember, if you have area wide outage, no gasoline. You can't store gasoline for too long without adding stabilizers plus it's more dangerous (storage).

Diesel generators on the other hand......store as much diesel you think you need with little to worry about.

Connection. Best is to hire an electrician to install the male connection (exterior of house) that's wired to your panel. Panel should have a mechanical lock as you need to switch the main off from the utility. Custom cable too that's long enough to keep the running generator 10 or more feet away from the house. This also allows you to run central gas heat.

This is better than having extension cords running all over the place.

We have a gas generator and if an event is forcasted, I purchase enough gas to fill the generator tank (4 gallons), 2 containers (7 gallons), fill tractor (2 gallons) and fill one car with regular (18 gallons). Purchase a marine fuel pump to get gas out of car.

If we have any gas left when power comes back on, it goes in the old car.

While your at it, have the electrician set it up so that it comes on automatically when the power fails and conduct monthly generator tests. Don't forget the EPA permits for the underground fuel tank.

Just Kidding- I have a 4K watt generator I use for my camping trailer. It can power my fridge, a set of shop lights on a stand, and a few small appliances. I run it once a month just to keep it fresh. I keep two 5 gallon cans of gas on hand that I rotate through my lawn mower and other yard tools so the gas is reasonably fresh as well. If the black out is longer than a few days, I can always take the gas out of my pick-up that mostly sits when it is not pulling the above mentioned trailer or hauling lumber from Lowe's.