PDA

View Full Version : Continental presta tube valve core problems

pablo pinchasso
11-02-2011, 11:40 AM
what is a good replacement for the conti Tubes I have been using them for almost 20 years but recently they took the one piece valve body and replaced it with an insert for putting slime in the tube...i have several that leak...go for a ride then the next day it is flat....checked it 3 times for leaks and nada..... NO LEAKS
even tried some loctite gasket sealant on the core before screwing it in TIGHT.....
need a good replacement....any good brands besides conti?

Thanks

R2D2
11-02-2011, 11:43 AM
I've never had a problem with them. Perhaps you have a leak somewhere else?

oldpotatoe
11-02-2011, 12:07 PM
what is a good replacement for the conti Tubes I have been using them for almost 20 years but recently they took the one piece valve body and replaced it with an insert for putting slime in the tube...i have several that leak...go for a ride then the next day it is flat....checked it 3 times for leaks and nada..... NO LEAKS
even tried some loctite gasket sealant on the core before screwing it in TIGHT.....
need a good replacement....any good brands besides conti?

Thanks

Grab some needle nose and make sure they are tight. I sell a boat load of Conti tubes and don't see this.

AngryScientist
11-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Grab some needle nose and make sure they are tight. I sell a boat load of Conti tubes and don't see this.

correct. if you're a lezyne pump user, you know this trick all too well (the lezyne head threads onto the stem, and a loose stem can come off with the pump head). i use these types of tubes all the time with no problems once properly tightened.

also though, i dont stick to any one brand. my lbs give me a 3 for $10 deal on tubes, and the deal is for whatever the cheapest tubes they can get are - usually kenda or some variant. with very few exceptions, i've never had a problem with even the cheapest tubes.

Idris Icabod
11-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I often have a problem with Qtubes with the replaceable valve core. After wrapping a little teflon tape and dropping a drop of silicon oil on the internal gasket they work fine.

oliver1850
11-02-2011, 01:02 PM
If you want to switch brands, Michelins have always been great for me. They have smooth stem though, I know some folks have a preference for threaded.