PDA

View Full Version : Road Discs

thendenjeck
11-01-2011, 06:28 PM
what are people's thoughts on shimano br-r505's vs. avid road version? any other brakes out there i should consider?

zap
11-02-2011, 08:53 AM
Bengal with Formula discs appear to have a small but growing following.

rice rocket
11-02-2011, 09:34 AM
Never seen or heard about the Shimanos, but I put the Avids on my ex-gf's cross bike. They were pretty mushy and didn't provide much feedback. I thought I sucked at installing them, but the mechanic at the LBS said that the BB7 Roads were always mushy apparently.

fourflys
11-02-2011, 01:56 PM
Never seen or heard about the Shimanos, but I put the Avids on my ex-gf's cross bike. They were pretty mushy and didn't provide much feedback. I thought I sucked at installing them, but the mechanic at the LBS said that the BB7 Roads were always mushy apparently.

don't have an issue with them on my Salsa... FWIW I'm using SRAM levers...

thendenjeck
11-02-2011, 02:05 PM
i talked to a mechanic here in Chicago who said that the avid's do better with a longer pull road lever like tektros. have no idea if that's true or not, as we all know that mechanics can sometimes just say any old thing. :rolleyes:

thendenjeck
11-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Bengal with Formula discs appear to have a small but growing following.

interesting. wish they came in a color other than white. will look into them more.

anyone had luck with the travel agents?

oldpotatoe
11-02-2011, 02:11 PM
i talked to a mechanic here in Chicago who said that the avid's do better with a longer pull road lever like tektros. have no idea if that's true or not, as we all know that mechanics can sometimes just say any old thing. :rolleyes:

Steel frames get soft over time.

Ksyriums are bombproof.

You will feel the 100 gram weight savings.

Carbon takes out the buzz.

Steel takes out the buzz.

Titanium takes out the buzz.

This bike will make you faster.

This bike will make you climb better.

Campagnolo shifters are finicky.

Ceramic bearings last longer.

Tubeless rides better.

Tubulars ride better.

Clinchers ride better.

Hydraulic brakes are finicky.

Mechanical discs are finicky.

ETC......

thendenjeck
11-02-2011, 02:17 PM
Ariones are really comfortable :p

thendenjeck
11-02-2011, 02:18 PM
they tested it, carbon spokes are actually stronger than alloy spokes :crap:

thendenjeck
11-02-2011, 02:19 PM
interesting. wish they came in a color other than white. will look into them more.

hey zap, any references on these? I don't seem to be able to find much feedback on them

zap
11-02-2011, 03:21 PM
As I understand it, Santana (cringe) started specing Bengal calipers. Not sure which dics they spec but know others have had good luck with Formula.

http://tandemgeek.wordpress.com/2011/09/18/hot-disc-brake-news-or-news-about-overheated-disc-brakes-if-you-prefer/

Tandems are tough on bike parts but I mentioned Bengals because it is an alternative.

fogrider
11-02-2011, 11:58 PM

I used travel agents with v brakes and road levers. they felt soft and not much feedback. it was kind of a pain to setup. I've gone to mini v in the front and canti in the rear. the mini v is not bad. I would be interested in disc, but in crazy about the weight.