PDA

View Full Version : Fork Upgrade? Worth it?

bikerboy337
11-01-2011, 12:42 PM
Wondering if a fork upgrade on my cannondale would be worth it... have the full carbon premium cannondale fork on it now.. at 465g... thinking of a 295g ENVE 1.0....

do you think it would be a noticeable difference, would it be worth it?

any thoughts are appreciated...

cmg
11-01-2011, 01:03 PM
you'll notice the weight difference. as long you're close to the same rake/offset (distance between the centerline of the fork dropout and centerline of head tube) the ride should be close to the same. keep in mind as the rake increases the amount of trail is reduced. Trail is the amount of twitchness/responsivness in the steering. trail is the amount space at the pavement between the axle center and the fork centerline take straight into the floor. the larger this amount is the slower steering. has my mangled expanation confused you?

oldpotatoe
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
you'll notice the weight difference. as long you're close to the same rake/offset (distance between the centerline of the fork dropout and centerline of head tube) the ride should be close to the same. keep in mind as the rake increases the amount of trail is reduced. Trail is the amount of twitchness/responsivness in the steering. trail is the amount space at the pavement between the axle center and the fork centerline take straight into the floor. the larger this amount is the slower steering. has my mangled expanation confused you?

170 gram weight savings. On a about 85,000 gram package of bike and rider. I guess he might notice but I'm thinking he probably won't but.......

duke
11-01-2011, 01:28 PM
I think the weight saving would be most noticeable in your wallet....
duke

oliver1850
11-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I personally would save the money for the next thing that actually fails or wears out. I'm not very sensitive to small changes and doubt I would notice the difference. Might be interested in your old one if you make the swap, have a couple of 'dales lying here forkless.

Kane
11-01-2011, 02:12 PM
170 gram weight savings. On a about 85,000 gram package of bike and rider. I guess he might notice but I'm thinking he probably won't but.......
I would like to bet my fortune that you could not tell the difference in the forks based upon weight. "Small Fortune," does not do it justice. Negative Fortune is more like it, but no way can you tell a difference based upon weight.
Air in the tires, that you can tell a difference right away. Sew-ups vs. clinchers, likely immediate difference. Carbon seatpost vs. Al, not likely. etc.
Cheers,

Kane

Chance
11-01-2011, 02:34 PM
Wondering if a fork upgrade on my cannondale would be worth it... have the full carbon premium cannondale fork on it now.. at 465g... thinking of a 295g ENVE 1.0....

do you think it would be a noticeable difference, would it be worth it?

any thoughts are appreciated...
If your question is specific to weight differences it’s easy enough to test your sensitivity by adding and removing about 6 ounces of water to a water bottle. Do it a few times and see how important any differences may feel.

It’s more likely that you may feel a difference due to fork stiffness. If one is stiffer than the other they might ride differently. The new one may be better or worse depending on what you prefer.

charliedid
11-01-2011, 02:39 PM
Go to a great restaurant instead.

Ken Robb
11-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Go to a great restaurant instead.

Yeah, they have LOTS of forks. :beer:

tiretrax
11-01-2011, 04:24 PM
+1

Hawker
11-01-2011, 05:41 PM
+1

++1 And maybe a spork!

bikerboy337
11-01-2011, 06:47 PM
needed to be talked out of it... you guys were successful.... will save my money for now...

thanks again!

charliedid
11-01-2011, 07:13 PM

SMILE

rockdude
11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know if weight plays a measurable role but a fork can complete change the ride of a bike. Some of the forks I have changed out and liked were the Edge/Enve 2.0, Serotta F1 (a little stiff for dirt roads) and wound up.

Fixed
11-02-2011, 10:58 AM
cannondale full carbon forks are pretty nice imho
cheers

cmg
11-02-2011, 11:45 AM
I don't know if weight plays a measurable role but a fork can complete change the ride of a bike. Some of the forks I have changed out and liked were the Edge/Enve 2.0, Serotta F1 (a little stiff for dirt roads) and wound up.

yep. changed to a 40mm rake from a 50mm fork, slowed the steering down a ton. Took it back apart to be sure something wasn't binding in the headtube. 1-2mm might not change much but 10mm had a drastic effect.