PDA

View Full Version : OT: Job Changes

c-record
11-01-2011, 11:33 AM
The general tone of change and difficulty popping up in some of the forum threads and the culture at work post got me wondering... With whatever stage of your professional careers forumites are in, what would you have done differently?

e.g. If I'm middle of my career in business and wish I would have done health care or something. What is your situation and are you happy with your choices? Tell me the whys and why nots please. Anyone have any cool major career change decisions and how did those situations turn out? Thanks.

Joachim
11-01-2011, 11:51 AM
I work as a scientist/principle investigator in pharmacology and biochemistry at an academic medical/research hospital. Given the current state of research funding from the government, or rather lack thereof, I might have added a MD degree to my education, if I would do it differently. Not for the financial reward, but for the number of opportunities that are out there for MD/PhD's.... If the NIH funding continue to spiral downwards I might end up doing something totally different, like start my own supplement company.

eddief
11-01-2011, 11:55 AM
you could easily merge your biz backgound with the incredible ops in healthcare. or if not too late, do a complete retool and do healthcare.

Aaron O
11-01-2011, 12:37 PM
I spent too many years trying to be what I'm not - cool and hip. I spent too long trying to be an academic and too many years fighting "the system". If I had it all to do over again, I'd have treated school like what it was - a job - not worried about social stuff and focused less on hobbies. I would have done law school when it made more sense...or maybe gone for a CPA...and gone after security and life style more quickly.

I bought into this finding your passion stuff and what i learned is that my passion comes from my wife, family and friends - and could never come from any sort of work. Work is a means to an end, and I should have been less romantic and more practical.

c-record
11-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Joachim, great that you a very unique skillset that should keep you solidly positioned if the future gets more challenging. It's easy to wonder if I should have invested in different education as the economy shifts under us.

eddie, I think about the retool and start over but that's a challenging endeavor. It's not too late to change things up but strange to think about when things don't turn quite out quite as planned.

c-record
11-01-2011, 12:58 PM
It's easy to say now in retrospect that I wish I had your sensible advice back then rather than the dreamy 'go chase your dream' stuff we were all told when we were younger. Why were we all told that?

I spent too many years trying to be what I'm not - cool and hip. I spent too long trying to be an academic and too many years fighting "the system". If I had it all to do over again, I'd have treated school like what it was - a job - not worried about social stuff and focused less on hobbies. I would have done law school when it made more sense...or maybe gone for a CPA...and gone after security and life style more quickly.

I bought into this finding your passion stuff and what i learned is that my passion comes from my wife, family and friends - and could never come from any sort of work. Work is a means to an end, and I should have been less romantic and more practical.

Aaron O
11-01-2011, 01:18 PM
It's easy to say now in retrospect that I wish I had your sensible advice back then rather than the dreamy 'go chase your dream' stuff we were all told when we were younger. Why were we all told that?

I think they meant well.

My dad told me from a young age that his father's dream for him was that he be more successful than my grandfather (an immigrant tailor). My father was certainly more succesful...and he always told me his dream for me was that I be more happy than him. Clearly success wasn't always happiness for my dad.

In retrospect...I made myself unhappy searching for happiness...or a calling...when happiness came when I embraced a life style more like my father's. I am my father's son and I was raised with his values and ideas...in addition to the genetic programming. I fought it for years, and when I stopped fighting, I started finding things got better.

jlyon
11-01-2011, 01:27 PM
I know a few Nurses who specialize in Case Managment that they can do from home over the phone.

Wouldn't it be great to pull down a good salary never communte and live anywhere you wanted?

WeakRider
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM

For seven years I worked in the book publishing industry. My first annual salary was $26,000 (in New York City!). I worked insane hours, dealt with extremely difficult and insecure people, and always had homework. There were upsides, too, of course (e.g., pretty, bookish girls, lots of parties, free lunches and drinks, stimulating work)--but, when the industry began to shrink rapidly, I decided to give up my dream of finding the next great American novel.

I now work in the financial sector. What a difference! I work a lot less and make more money, which, in my opinion, is a winning combination. Are there downsides? Sure. But all I know is that I now have more time to ride, practice martial arts, boulder, and socialize.

So, Aaron O, I agree with you 100%

WeakRider
11-01-2011, 02:17 PM
I know a few Nurses who specialize in Case Managment that they can do from home over the phone.

Wouldn't it be great to pull down a good salary never communte and live anywhere you wanted?

My mother does this. She is getting older, so it's the perfect job for her. Working in a hospital is tough.

c-record
11-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Weakrider, mind me asking how long you did the prior before you moved into finance?

WeakRider
11-01-2011, 02:41 PM
I worked in publishing for seven years. I worked at a literary agency for one year immediately after college. I then worked for a publishing house for six years.

eddief
11-01-2011, 02:49 PM
we each have a set of values upon which our contentment and decisions are based. sounds as if you know yours and how they fit for you. all i know is working 40 hours or more a week, it is smart to find something that matches your values as closely as possible. it is about balancing as many variables as possible to create the life you wanna live. not easy, but that is the journey me thinks. it can be a really long week at work and you might not be worth much by the time you get to spend time with wife, family, friends.

Aaron O
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
we each have a set of values upon which our contentment and decisions are based. sounds as if you know where yours and how they fit for you. all i know is working 40 hours or more a week, it is smart to find something that matches your values as closely as possible. it is about balancing as many variables as possible to create the life you wanna live. not easy, but that is the journey me thinks. it can be a really long week at work and you might not be worth much by the time you get to spend time with wife, family, friends.

The equation is going to be different for everyone...I can only address what balance worked for me. I can't even say that balance will work for me in 10 years...I just know it's working now. There are people out there that find jobs they love...or have things they can support themselves with that they are passionate about. It's not me and it's just not what motivates me. I'm certainly not suggesting my formula is appropriate for someone else.

I do think the concept that everyone can find satisfying work and everyone is special is idealistic and silly. Not too many people get satisfaction from sweeping floors, but that work still needs to get done. There are folks who can - but the idea that it's an ideal that everyone can aspire to is flawed IMO (it certainly was for me).

c-record
11-01-2011, 03:16 PM
So the tenure was pretty established in publishing before you decided for a change? What or was there an impetus that made you realize it was time to start a new track?

I worked in publishing for seven years. I worked at a literary agency for one year immediately after college. I then worked for a publishing house for six years.

c-record
11-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Aaron and eddie,

Very well said on your ideas, thanks.

The equation is going to be different for everyone...I can only address what balance worked for me. I can't even say that balance will work for me in 10 years...I just know it's working now. There are people out there that find jobs they love...or have things they can support themselves with that they are passionate about. It's not me and it's just not what motivates me. I'm certainly not suggesting my formula is appropriate for someone else.

I do think the concept that everyone can find satisfying work and everyone is special is idealistic and silly. Not too many people get satisfaction from sweeping floors, but that work still needs to get done. There are folks who can - but the idea that it's an ideal that everyone can aspire to is flawed IMO (it certainly was for me).

Chance
11-01-2011, 03:17 PM
The general tone of change and difficulty popping up in some of the forum threads and the culture at work post got me wondering... With whatever stage of your professional careers forumites are in, what would you have done differently?
Worrying about past decisions and whether they were mistakes seems like a great way to go nuts. If in the past they can’t be undone so why question your choices after the fact. At a minimum it’s a great way to develop regrets, resentment, bitterness, ….. And who needs more of those?

Besides, anyone who hasn’t made major mistakes hasn’t taken enough risks.

cmg
11-01-2011, 03:26 PM
worked in the private sector for the bulk of my employment. too many small firms with lofty goals and no payoffs for employees. It was great with the fellow employees, had a good time working long hours but the time i didn't spend for myself has taken it's toll. Should have left the firms that spent more time spinning their wheels or with the boss who's main interest was in making pretty pictures. My college roomate who also graduated with an architecture degree left the profession 6 years after getting the degree. had more fun.

R2D2
11-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Worrying about past decisions and whether they were mistakes seems like a great way to go nuts. If in the past they can’t be undone so why question your choices after the fact. At a minimum it’s a great way to develop regrets, resentment, bitterness, ….. And who needs more of those?

Plus you learn quickly making mistakes. The first thing you learn is, I'll never do that again. But I'd rather work with folks who do something and make mistakes than people who are so afraid of making a mistake that they barely do anything.

WeakRider
11-01-2011, 03:43 PM
So the tenure was pretty established in publishing before you decided for a change? What or was there an impetus that made you realize it was time to start a new track?

Yep, I was on my way. But then I took a close look at the lives that the most senior people in my department were leading and realized that I didn't want to end up in their shoes. I don't know if there was a single moment that made me realize it was time to leave the industry, but two factors always weighed on me.

1) Industry contraction. Book sales aren't what they once were. Borders has closed, as have countless independent bookstores. And, if eBook sales continue to grow (as a proportion of total book sales) the publishing industry should be cut in half. Basically, customers (and Amazon) believe that eBooks should cost $9.99 max. A new hardcover title probably averages $25.99. The unit cost of producing a physical book is probably in the $2 range. So, if eBooks continue to proliferate, and customers refuse to pay more than $9.99 for them...well, you do the math.

2) Geographic limitations. Basically, if you want to work for a major publisher, you have to live in New York City (or the surrounding region). The thought of living in the tri-state area for the rest of my life made me want to cry.

I like to think that my decision to leave book publishing was well thought out, but who know?

c-record
11-01-2011, 03:44 PM
You're absolutely right unless one is in a position to consider changes. Even some major changes. It's a scary proposition though so getting many views on the challenges is helpful. On the mistakes end... I've made plenty. :crap:

R2D2
11-01-2011, 03:49 PM
Yep, I was on my way. But then I took a close look at the lives that the most senior people in my department were leading and realized that I didn't want to end up in their shoes. I don't know if there was a single moment that made me realize it was time to leave the industry, but two factors always weighed on me.

1) Industry contraction. Book sales aren't what they once were. Borders has closed, as have countless independent bookstores. And, if eBook sales continue to grow (as a proportion of total book sales) the publishing industry should be cut in half. Basically, customers (and Amazon) believe that eBooks should cost $9.99 max. A new hardcover title probably averages $25.99. The unit cost of producing a physical book is probably in the $2 range. So, if eBooks continue to proliferate, and customers refuse to pay more than $9.99 for them...well, you do the math.

2) Geographic limitations. Basically, if you want to work for a major publisher, you have to live in New York City (or the surrounding region). The thought of living in the tri-state area for the rest of my life made me want to cry.

I like to think that my decision to leave book publishing was well thought out, but who know?
Interesting. My brother is a journalist that started in paper based publishing and morphed to a Web Content manager which to me is an editor in the new high tech medium.