PDA

View Full Version : seeking honest opinion

AngryScientist
11-01-2011, 09:47 AM
So i've got a Legend Ti incoming. I plan to tear down my colorado TG and build the Legend up with those parts.

the Colorado is currently running veloce shift levers, and a mirage RD (10 sp). this combination has been working just fine (see "working class Serotta" thread in the image gallery if you're interested).

i plan to ride the hell out of this bike this spring/summer, and i'm wondering if this stuff is going to hold up. i'd like to make the jump to 11-sp on this bike, but unsure if it's necessary just quite yet. the 10-sp stuff is working fine, but i dont want any midseason problems with this bike, especially considering i'll be doing some longer rides and trips with it most likely.

so, based on Ribble prices, i can upgrade to 11-sp with the following for right around $500:

-Record shifters
-Athena RD
-Chorus chain and cassette.

anyone know of any better deals currently?

what would you do - keep the low level 10-sp stuff on the Ti bike or go 11?

sigh.

Joachim
11-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Why Record shifters and not Chorus?

AngryScientist
11-01-2011, 09:50 AM
Why Record shifters and not Chorus?

they're only about $40 more, so why not i guess...

JLP
11-01-2011, 09:52 AM
My only issue would be compatibility with other bikes if that matters to you. I've got Campy 10 on a couple of bikes, so I don't feel like adding another standard to the mix.

rice rocket
11-01-2011, 09:52 AM
The plan is to eventually have two complete bikes, right?

Your incremental cost should be much less than 500 bones, if you need to sell yourself on it. ;)

Joachim
11-01-2011, 09:55 AM
they're only about $40 more, so why not i guess...

As far as I know they are exactly the same with only the label being different. OldPotatoe can correct me if I'm wrong, but the internals are the same. Back to your question, I like 11 speed for that extra gear it gives me (no, not the 11) when using a 12-25. Come over to the other side....

67-59
11-01-2011, 09:55 AM
Since your question is about the likelihood of breaking down, it seems that the real issue is the current condition of the components, as opposed to moving from 10 to 11, or Veloce shifters to Record. Newer components are probably less likely to break down than older ones, but how much more likely depends on whether the old ones have been lightly used and well maintained, or are on the verge of needing a rebuild anyway.

AngryScientist
11-01-2011, 09:56 AM
As far as I know they are exactly the same with only the label being different. OldPotatoe can correct me if I'm wrong, but the internals are the same. Back to your question, I like 11 speed for that extra gear it gives me (no, not the 11) when using a 12-25. Come over to the other side....

good point.

my bianchi is full chorus-11 and i do love that system, i'm leaning hard towards the jump to 11 for this bike i guess...

AngryScientist
11-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Since your question is about the likelihood of breaking down, it seems that the real issue is the current condition of the components, as opposed to moving from 10 to 11, or Veloce shifters to Record. Newer components are probably less likely to break down than older ones, but how much more likely depends on whether the old ones have been lightly used and well maintained, or are on the verge of needing a rebuild anyway.

thats a good point. i think the veloce shifters are solid, but the mirage RD, i got used and really looks a little beat. add to that - it's mirage, really bottom line stuff, but it is working just fine right now...

Joachim
11-01-2011, 09:58 AM
good point.

my bianchi is full chorus-11 and i do love that system, i'm leaning hard towards the jump to 11 for this bike i guess...

If your other bike is already 11-speed it seems much easier (unless you have a third bike, ie 11 speed and 2 x 10spd's?)

rugbysecondrow
11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Ride it as is. Upgrade as needed. Even expensive stuff brakes, so just roll with it.

So i've got a Legend Ti incoming. I plan to tear down my colorado TG and build the Legend up with those parts.

the Colorado is currently running veloce shift levers, and a mirage RD (10 sp). this combination has been working just fine (see "working class Serotta" thread in the image gallery if you're interested).

i plan to ride the hell out of this bike this spring/summer, and i'm wondering if this stuff is going to hold up. i'd like to make the jump to 11-sp on this bike, but unsure if it's necessary just quite yet. the 10-sp stuff is working fine, but i dont want any midseason problems with this bike, especially considering i'll be doing some longer rides and trips with it most likely.

so, based on Ribble prices, i can upgrade to 11-sp with the following for right around $500:

-Record shifters
-Athena RD

sigh.

Ozz
11-01-2011, 10:02 AM
The plan is to eventually have two complete bikes, right?

Your incremental cost should be much less than 500 bones, if you need to sell yourself on it. ;)
+1

You want the new 11 speed stuff on it...you are going to do some longer rides you have planned...build it now with what you want so you can work out any issues before your rides.

Lovetoclimb
11-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Upgrade the new ride with 11s, keep the 10s stuff for the cross bike or a commuter, or just as back-ups. 10 and 11s stuff seems to mate well enough in a pinch.

EDS
11-01-2011, 11:33 AM

-Record shifters
-Athena RD

sigh.

I would ride the existing group until it breaks.

tannhauser
11-01-2011, 11:40 AM

You won't know how many cogs you have back there when you ride.

Fixed
11-01-2011, 11:50 AM
i think you current rig is just right
don't replace unless it dies imho
cheers

eltonbalch
11-01-2011, 12:15 PM
+1

You want the new 11 speed stuff on it...you are going to do some longer rides you have planned...build it now with what you want so you can work out any issues before your rides.

I'm guessing you aren't worrying about where your next cheeseburger is coming from so go with new. You KNOW you want to and IMHO it's the best move anyway :D . Trust me--I'm old and i know these things from experience...

Ralph
11-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I say if you want the newer, more upscale, slightly lighter parts, than go for it.

However....I personally don't think you gain reliability or longivity above the Mirage and Veloce level. You just have a lighter wallet.....and the enjoyment of more high end parts. And I like nice parts also, and have them on one of my bikes (bike jewelry I call them).

I also have Mirage 9 speed Ergo shifters on one of my bikes, and I can't tell a bit of difference between them and some Record shifters of that era I had. Internals mostly same also. Nothing about their manufacture should make them less reliable. So if your old parts are good....keep using them. If not, get new.

And frankly....for a bike to ride about every day, sweating all over, in all kinds of weather....it's hard to beat the new 10's Veloce/Centaur stuff.

uber
11-02-2011, 03:55 AM
If you can afford the 11, and are thinking about it this much, you will probably enjoy having it more. Best of luck with your new ride.