PDA

View Full Version : Hip surgery in san diego or LA area?

jimcav
10-31-2011, 09:28 PM
I was recently diagnosed with FAIS, and possibly a labral tear, will know after the next MRI, but does anyone have a good success story from someone in southern california that does A LOT of these? I am asking because my insurance does not cover FAIS and the navy docs don't do it enough that i would trust them to cut on me. so will pay out of pocket and am trying to get opinions on anyone local to me that might be good.
thanks
jim
thanks

oldpotatoe
11-01-2011, 06:44 AM
I was recently diagnosed with FAIS, and possibly a labral tear, will know after the next MRI, but does anyone have a good success story from someone in southern california that does A LOT of these? I am asking because my insurance does not cover FAIS and the navy docs don't do it enough that i would trust them to cut on me. so will pay out of pocket and am trying to get opinions on anyone local to me that might be good.
thanks
jim
thanks

'Navy Docs'? Retired military? Have you looked at Tricare, enter for this?

Saw your forsale post and that TriCare won't cover this. Have you considered traveling to Bethesda or Walter Reed, places that have some really excellent orthos, to work on you? Is that possible? Might save you the BIG $$.

I hear you about military docs...a couple gooned up my right thumb.

Altho USN medicine was excellent for the 20 years I was in..Flight Surgeons.

jimcav
11-01-2011, 07:38 AM
of course i CAN take m chances if a navy ortho does it, but because of the population age and what we do, they have general ortho , hand, spine, and shoulder/knee guys. no one does many hips--it is just not a big injury until the retirees get hip fracture which is done via VA or MTF space available. The slew of wounded warriors from iraq etc has made it more likely to get released to civilian care, but since for whatever insane reason tricare does not cover this procedure that doesn't help.
i have heard of one navy doc who trained at the stedman clinic, so need to track him down and ask if he did many hips
appreciate the reply
thanks
jim

'Navy Docs'? Retired military? Have you looked at Tricare, enter for this?

Saw your forsale post and that TriCare won't cover this. Have you considered traveling to Bethesda or Walter Reed, places that have some really excellent orthos, to work on you? Is that possible? Might save you the BIG $$.

I hear you about military docs...a couple gooned up my right thumb.

Altho USN medicine was excellent for the 20 years I was in..Flight Surgeons.

old_fat_and_slow
11-01-2011, 09:37 AM
I do not have any direct experience, but these guys are supposed to be the orthos for all the big name pro athletes in SoCal

http://www.kerlanjobe.com/Home/default.aspx

I also suspect the some of the ortho staff at Cedars Sinai in LA would be among some of the best in the world.

http://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Patients/Programs-and-Services/Orthopaedic-Center/

Good luck with your surgery, hope you heal quickly.

John H.
11-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Jim,
Here is your guy for So Cal-
http://www.hipandpelvis.com/about/drmatta.htm
He is in Santa Monica.
Also consider Dr. Thomas Sampson in San Francisco- he did FAI surgery on me. He did me right.
Good luck-
John

biker72
11-01-2011, 09:58 AM
thanks
jim
thanks

I don’t have a very good feeling about Navy doctors either. I spent 3 years in the navy and spent one week in a naval hospital. Not good. Granted my experience was a long time ago.

My ophthalmologist was drafted during the Vietnam conflict and served as a stateside MD. He tells some pretty bad horror stories. Doctors that can’t make it in private practice join the military. No malpractice or worries of a lawsuit.

There are good doctors in the military. Just a little hard to find.

wooly
11-01-2011, 10:00 AM
Jim - I can't offer any advise regarding who to go to for the surgery but I want to wish you the very best. Good luck with finding the right doctor. It sucks having to sell your bikes to help fund the procedure but with a successful surgery, there will be many more bikes in your future. Take care bud.

firerescuefin
11-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Have been through this surgery on both hips. Your insurance should cover the tear part...which will be apparent on the MRI. My doctor was able to code it to be able to take care of both. Insurance issue seems to be pretty common with FAI. You're right to want to seek someone out that does a lot of these.

Good luck

thanks
jim
thanks

Kane
11-01-2011, 02:07 PM
Jim,
There are many ways to write a diagnosis. Make sure that whoever you see is aware of what is not covered. If your original doctor had called it Osteoarthritis, (of which it is a sub-category), it would be covered.
JohnH has had a great result since his surgery, according to his wife, who I saw this morning. John is also doing a crap load of rehab and wherever you go they should hook you up with a great physical therapist with lots of hip experience. And, you should expect to do a lot of post-surgical work.

Cheers,

Kane

thanks
jim
thanks

John H.
11-01-2011, 02:11 PM
1st step is to send your x-rays to one of these recommended docs for evaluation- they usually need to see what you have going on before they can decide if they can help.
Contact the docs office to find out how to proceed- they will likely ask for x-rays, then call you in for an evaluation. Be prepared to pay for this visit in cash. $300-500.