PDA

View Full Version : Other retrospective Tour questions

Onno
07-25-2005, 02:19 PM
While we're looking for ways of filling the hole in our lives now that the Tour is over, what do you all make of Rasmussen's spectacular collapse on Saturday--two falls and at least 3 bike changes? I guess the changes weren't his fault--problems with real wheel apparently--but wiping out twice and finishing in 76th or 77th place for the day! Very sad. It was a little surprising to me to see a former mtb biker look so clumsy on the bike, but I guess this is an example of one set of handling skills not translating.

Bike handling is one of Armstrong's under-reported skills, imo. It really isn't just luck that he's avoided crashes over all these years. He looked superbly confident in all sections of the TT that I saw, in contrast to Rasmussen and Basso.

Does Rasmussen have the potential to be a real GC contender, or will he never be a great time trialist? He looks pretty scrawny to really be a power rider, but he looked great on that long break away, and he did show real guts in the mountains.

Are there other surprises in the tour this year, signs of future GC contenders?

Onno (who really is now getting back to work)

Ozz
07-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Valverde...disappointed that he got tendonitis and had to withdraw.

Ray
07-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Valverde...disappointed that he got tendonitis and had to withdraw.
Rasmussen may not have the potential and may be too old to fully develop it even if he does. Valverde appears to have the whole package and is young enough to develop it. As does Popovich. Basso appears to basically be there, with hopefully a bit more improvement in TT possible. But which of these guys, or someone else, can translate the apparent talent into a consistent three week effort....???? Time'll tell. How ready did Mayo look a couple years ago, with not much to show for it to this point. Cunego could be the next superstar too, or maybe an really impressive flash in the pan.

That's what makes it fun. It's rare that a sure thing like Armstrong comes along and, even then, it all looks so much clearer in retrospect. Dwayne Wade, anyone?

-Ray

Kevan
07-25-2005, 05:53 PM
Rasmussen's "Phew!!!" as he went to step up on the podium? That man needs some Disney time.