10-30-2011, 06:39 AM
I. F-ing. Hate. Snow!!
Rant over.

AngryScientist
10-30-2011, 06:43 AM
i'm with ya brother, sick of it.

Climb01742
10-30-2011, 06:48 AM
particularly before halloween, not to mention before thanksgiving. just plain wrong.

Bob Loblaw
10-30-2011, 07:45 AM
Ditto.

For me snow used to be associated with a few days of fun and skiing. Now it is an obstacle to cycling, sore muscles from shoveling, and little old ladies in huge cars sideways across the road.

Whee.

BL

Elefantino
10-30-2011, 07:52 AM
Having lived here for 15 years, I forget.

What's snow?

93legendti
10-30-2011, 08:11 AM
don't worry, global warming is going to put an end all snow storms... :D

Dan Le foot
10-30-2011, 08:35 AM
I. F-ing. Hate. Snow!!
Rant over.
Sunny and 75 degrees in San Diego today.......... Again.
Just so boring.
:crap:
You folks with the changing seasons have all the fun.
:fight:
Dan

maximus
10-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Snow in October? :confused: That sucks even for DC.

This winter is gonna be a rough one...

rePhil
10-30-2011, 08:38 AM
Year round riding is one nice thing about living in Florida. It's a beauty of a day here, highs in the mid 70's.
But I miss having lightly traveled "roads to nowhere".

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-30-2011, 09:12 AM
i'm with ya brother, sick of it.
I dunno how Jersey fared, I know you guys usually get slammed, but on top of the early storm (we got around 10 inches in CT), it's fallen tree hell here. All we heard last night was the cracking of tree limbs and entire trees coming down. Nothing hit the house or cars, but, wasn't a fun evening. Never was a fan of Florida, but, I may be coming around.

kohlboto
10-30-2011, 09:19 AM
I. F-ing. Hate. Snow!!
Rant over.
I moved back to Canada a good 20 years ago from Arizona.
I miss Christmas dinners by the pool basking in the sun...
snow sucks...and blows.

Ti Designs
10-30-2011, 09:26 AM
Get over it. Snow is a fact of life in New England, you can either hate the weather half the year or you can learn to deal with it. I love the summer months 'cause I can get lost and put in 150 miles in a day and not worry about running out of daylight. Winter is different. Winter means base mileage, 4 hour rides on the fixed gear that only average about 15 MPH, the first two hours it's still dark. Snow isn't that much of an issue, my Nokian A10 studded tires have seen to that. If it's really bad I'll take out the mountain bike. If it's really really bad I'll take out the snowshoes. Sometimes I take out both, at night when there's a full moon.

When did people get this soft? Can someone explain how seasons on a calendar change how hearty people are? If the calendar says it's cross season, they go out and play in the mud. The same people don't ride in the rain or cold any other time of year. It's really no more fun during the season, you've just been fooled into thinking it is.

I took my fixed gear out this snow storm. It had rusted badly over the years and there were cracks in the frame, so I took it out and left it on the curb with the rest of the trash. I rode my Serotta in the snow. My shoes got wet, big deal.

maximus
10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
We should all get Surley Pugsleys and smile when the white stuff falls.

bike22
10-30-2011, 12:17 PM
love the snow.

victoryfactory
10-30-2011, 12:41 PM
I love a good rant…

jr59
10-30-2011, 01:01 PM
Being a Fl raised boy, and now living in New Orleans,

I understand, What snow. High of 70 today and sunny!

Perfect day for a 100k fun ride!

learningtoride
10-30-2011, 01:45 PM
I moved back to Canada a good 20 years ago from Arizona.
I miss Christmas dinners by the pool basking in the sun...
snow sucks...and blows.
I had a long weekend having to work concerts for bands I promote so I had very little sleep this weekend. Slept in today till 11 am lol. Went to bed at 5 this morning. I awoke to a nice mild sunny day here in Tucson, Arizona. I love to spend Oct. back home in NY but due to the bs moved my trip home to March, so I'm spending the "fall" in Az and Ca. Today it's not going to be any higher than 82 I think- perfect all day weather for a ride. My snowboard is sad today lol.

tv_vt
10-30-2011, 04:36 PM
Got snow? Yup! If the forecast for the week wasn't all sunny and 50's, I'd be ranting, too, but I can deal with these freakish early season one-day events. If it doesn't break tree branches, it does look nice against the fall foliage.

Just glad I wasn't trying to get in or out of an airport in New England last night.

Jack Brunk
10-30-2011, 05:09 PM
made for all the single track climbing a really sweaty ride. On top of Overlook trail the view of the Pacific Ocean was as smooth as silk. The Channel Islands were beautiful. Got 40 and 4000 feet in today.

rice rocket
10-30-2011, 05:15 PM
We should all get Surley Pugsleys and smile when the white stuff falls.

Surly made a new bike with even fatter tires this year called the Moonlander. Tires are almost a full inch wider than the Pugsley tires at 4.7" wide. :eek:

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6084/6104122114_21661a7855_b.jpg

fogrider
10-30-2011, 06:37 PM
lots of places with no snow. and lots of good riding. a friend moved here and we went on 8 rides in 8 weeks, every ride was incredible and no repeats.

Karin Kirk
10-30-2011, 10:41 PM
I just have to say, to my eyes those big fat snow bikes look like they would be awfully cumbersome and not much fun. Why not change up the routine in the winter and actually do something better suited for snow? There are tons of fun ways to get a great workout in the winter, while honing your balance, using different muscle groups and clearing the cobwebs from your brain.

I am looking forward to winter as always!* :hello:

*and I just ordered some enormous fat skis, so bring it on!

b_drum
10-31-2011, 02:42 AM
Being from southeastern MA I find winters terrible not because of the snow, but because of the excess of the rain/snice/slush mix we tend to get in place of snow. I lived in Montreal for a year and commuted to class every day (first final was in the middle of the first storm of the year) and could not have had more fun. I don't even care if I'm on my fixed or mtb, riding in the snow is so much fun.

bking
10-31-2011, 08:37 AM
i love to look at the snow....send me some pictures.

dauwhe
10-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Saturday morning: 29 miles, temp was 33 degrees.

Saturday evening: a quick ski around the neighborhood.

By Sunday, there was 14" of snow. Much time spent shoveling and cutting up branches. Power out. Roads were clear by Sunday afternoon, so did 16 miles on the bike.

It's all good!

sg8357
10-31-2011, 11:40 AM
Why not change up the routine in the winter and actually do something better suited for snow?snip[/SIZE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

Admittedly a WRX/Snow cat costs a bit more to run than a Pugsley.

bikerboy337
10-31-2011, 11:48 AM
the snow is fine for me, its the messy roads afterwards, salt, sand, unplowed shoulders, they basically make biking around here impossible for me... so, its time to start hitting the gym more... and off the road bike until spring...
:crap:

Karin Kirk
10-31-2011, 12:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTDNLUzjkpg

Admittedly a WRX/Snow cat costs a bit more to run than a Pugsley.
Yes that looks like fun. Probably doesn't do a lot for your fitness, but it definitely ups the smile factor!