PDA

View Full Version : Tubless rims

john903
10-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Hello, well it is time to think about some winter projects and i could use some advice. 1st has anyone used the Stans 340rim with Schwalbe tires (ultermo or marathon?) 2nd has anyone converted a set of open pros to tubless using Stans system using Schwalbe marathon racer, folding 700x30.
3rd would i just be better off(less expensive less, time consuming, less hastle of learning curve to make my own tubless set.) buying a prebuilt wheel ie: Stans, Campy. I would use them to commute,club rides, and centurys. Weight is 170.
Thank You in advance

fogrider
10-30-2011, 11:37 PM
why do you want to covert to tubeless? admittedly, my knowledge is limited on tubeless, but it seems like the only manufacturer that I know of that make tubeless tires are hutchinson. I didn't know that schwalbe tires can be used without a tube and the ultremo and marathon are completely different tires.

john903
10-31-2011, 09:32 PM
Yes there is the why question. Well i just want to try something different, and thought it might be cheaper to go a conversion route to see if I like them before i buy expensive factory built wheels. No Schwalbe does not make a tubless specific tire just wandering if anyone has tried converting them. Another reason is i have Campy record hub from 99 siting on the shelf just waiting to be put back into service. Thanks for making me think about the Why question though.

oldpotatoe
11-01-2011, 06:42 AM
Yes there is the why question. Well i just want to try something different, and thought it might be cheaper to go a conversion route to see if I like them before i buy expensive factory built wheels. No Schwalbe does not make a tubless specific tire just wandering if anyone has tried converting them. Another reason is i have Campy record hub from 99 siting on the shelf just waiting to be put back into service. Thanks for making me think about the Why question though.

While it is possible to convert not tubeless rims and tires for use as tubeless, Mike Robson, freelance writer for Velonews, has done it, I wouldn't recommend it. Too many things could go wrong, IMHO.

If ya want to 'try' tubeless, get some tubeless specific wheels and tires and giveitago.

For the gent below, yep, it can be done but as a bike shop, we don't do it, don't recommend it. AND there are more rims other than OpenPros that Stans says to not use as tubeless. Mostly rims/wheels not specifically designed for tubeless, same for tires.

But pays yer money, takes yer chances. The stuff to try it is everywhere, tape, valves, goop, any clincher, probably compressor.

And not trying to argue but using a wider tire, and less air, makes for a pretty supple ride on most clinchers as well. Add a little stans to the tube and you get almost no flats as well.

martinrjensen
11-01-2011, 07:13 AM
I totally disagree with that statment. I have converted several "standard rims to tubeless with Stan's kits with no issues what so ever. the only thing you have to know is that seating the bead (the key to filling the tire with air) can be difficult to start. Once you get about 10 lbs of air in the tire, any kind of pump can put air in them, but I have had at least one set that I had to use a compressor on or CO2 to get that first blast of air in.
If you used rims made for tubless, this may not be an issue, I don't know. I also have some Open Pro's but Stan's does not recommend converting these to tubeless and I did not do so.
I have had 2 flats with the tubeless setup in over 3 years of riding. Both flats sealed themselves within 5 miles of riding (sealant installed.
All you have to do to the rim is place 2 wraps of special tape across the spoke holes, and if you don't have spoke holes (Kyserium) you don't even need that. All that said, if you have the money for new rims, I would try the tubeless designed rims and I believe that there are several makers of tubeless tires now.
The ride of tubeless is superior to most clinchers and less flats is almost guaranteed.While it is possible to convert not tubeless rims and tires for use as tubeless, Mike Robson, freelance writer for Velonews, has done it, I wouldn't recommend it. Too many things could go wrong, IMHO.

If ya want to 'try' tubeless, get some tubeless specific wheels and tires and giveitago.

fogrider
11-03-2011, 12:54 AM
I totally disagree with that statment. I have converted several "standard rims to tubeless with Stan's kits with no issues what so ever. the only thing you have to know is that seating the bead (the key to filling the tire with air) can be difficult to start. Once you get about 10 lbs of air in the tire, any kind of pump can put air in them, but I have had at least one set that I had to use a compressor on or CO2 to get that first blast of air in.
If you used rims made for tubless, this may not be an issue, I don't know. I also have some Open Pro's but Stan's does not recommend converting these to tubeless and I did not do so.
I have had 2 flats with the tubeless setup in over 3 years of riding. Both flats sealed themselves within 5 miles of riding (sealant installed.
All you have to do to the rim is place 2 wraps of special tape across the spoke holes, and if you don't have spoke holes (Kyserium) you don't even need that. All that said, if you have the money for new rims, I would try the tubeless designed rims and I believe that there are several makers of tubeless tires now.
The ride of tubeless is superior to most clinchers and less flats is almost guaranteed.

so a stans kit comes with 16 oz (about 450 grams not sure if liquid oz equals 16 oz of weight) of sealant and 2 rim strips. I assume this is enough for a front and rear...lets say I don't have to use all the sealant and lets say the rim strips weigh 50 grams each. an open pro rim weights 425 grams and builds to about 1750 grams...so with the stans kit (call it 400 grams), the wheelset will come in around 2250 grams! (400 + 100 + 1750)