PDA

View Full Version : Serotta Track/Fixie frame?

wolfereeno
07-25-2005, 11:16 AM
Which Serotta models best lend themselves to being built up as track/fixed gear frames with horizontal dropouts?

thanks.

Samster
07-25-2005, 11:47 AM

Fixed
07-25-2005, 12:28 PM
That is one the best bikes I've ever seen you are one lucky guy.Make sure you have a good lock if you ever come down to Ybor City .Cheers

Ti Designs
07-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Which Serotta models best lend themselves to being built up as track/fixed gear frames with horizontal dropouts?

Are we talking road frames being built up as fixed gears or are we talking track frames with 120mm spacing ad track drops (I just know that someone is going to fly off into a rant about calling them dropouts...)??? As most of the road frames use their 3D verticle dropouts, they wouldn't make for good fixed gears. You would have to go a ways back before you found a stock model with horizontal dropouts. If we're talking purpose built track frames, there ain't a lot they can't do. They offer the Ottrott in track (just think of the price per gear...), the CIII is what I point at as the best bang for the buck in custom track bikes. One of my customers has a track bike made by Serotta for the messenger race in Boston, known as the Big Dig. It got damaged not too long ago, so I sent it back to Serotta for repair. Kelly said "that was a Ben production" when I asked about it. So who do you have to be to get a special model made???

Samster
07-25-2005, 01:35 PM
One of my customers has a track bike made by Serotta for the messenger race in Boston, known as the Big Dig. It got damaged not too long ago, so I sent it back to Serotta for repair. Kelly said "that was a Ben production" when I asked about it. So who do you have to be to get a special model made???

Actually, mine (pictured above) is a repainted and repaired Big Dig. I got it through International Bicycles in Boston. It used to be jet black.

--sam

Ti Designs
07-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Actually, mine (pictured above) is a repainted and repaired Big Dig. I got it through International Bicycles in Boston. It used to be jet black.

Damn, does everyone have one of those but me? I have a Peter Mooney track bike, but when I tried out the Big Dig I kinda wanted one of them too. Now I'm thinking of an IF XS track with custom lugs like their show bike - not that I can afford it...

Samster
07-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Actually, I think less than 50 BDs were made (and I think it's more like 30).

They're very nice and a lot of fun to ride. But I'm sure your Mooney is every bit as much "bike" as the BD, and probably more so. But at the price points we're talking about, it's hard to go wrong... And truth be told, BDs are made with Reynolds 501 tubing, which is kind of like Columbus Thron... heavy-duty and lacking in both butting and finesse. Dedaccai steel (EOM?) or something like it would have been my first choice, but beggars can't be choosers I suppose. I'd bet your Mooney is made with a higher grade tubeset.

Incidentally, I met Peter Mooney once in his shop in the back of Belmont Wheelworks (I used to live in Belmont, MA right up the street from them). Nice fella. I don't know where he gets his lugs, but they are/were beautiful. Does exceptional work, imo...

--sam

davids
07-25-2005, 03:39 PM
Damn, does everyone have one of those but me? I have a Peter Mooney track bike, but when I tried out the Big Dig I kinda wanted one of them too. Now I'm thinking of an IF XS track with custom lugs like their show bike - not that I can afford it...
Maybe I can get you a deal on the lugs - I know the guy who makes them...

wolfereeno
07-25-2005, 04:07 PM
Beautiful bike! Yes, I want one of those :-)

I'm looking for a fixed gear for road riding almost exclusively. Geometry wise, I'm pretty happy with the track geometry of my Bianchi Pista and wouldn't change much. Toe overlap and a tight frame are fine by me. I do ride with a front brake btw. So pretty much a track bike with horizontal drops.

What is this Big Dig the thread mentions? Something Serotta made at one time?

Brian Smith
07-25-2005, 04:38 PM

thanks.

3D horizontal dropouts can be had on:
Concours
Legend
Colorado III
CX II
Ottrot

and my favorite....

the CSi!