PDA

View Full Version : Morton's Neuroma- Surgery (HOT FOOT)

Silverthump
07-25-2005, 11:00 AM
57 y/o male cycling enthusiast on 4th Serotta (Ottrot ST).
Diagnosed with neuroma in Jan.
Have tried
#1. 5 cortisone injections (podiatrist)
#2. Mega Sidi's (wider shoes)
#3. Orthotics with metatarsal pad
#4. Icing & anti-inflamatories
#5. Limited time on bike

Just recieved a second opinion from sports podiartrist and confirmed initial reccomendation of original podiatrist to have surgery and remove the nerve.
I have basically lost this season and limited training on and off the bike. Now resolved to have surgery ASAP & get on with life and training.

Question:
#1. Any of you bikers had this surgery?
#2. How long were you off the bike?

dave thompson
07-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I also have Morton's, and am contemplating surgery In talking with my MD, he advises me that there are two ways to remove it, one from the bottom of the foot and one from the top. He's says to get LOTS of opinions and interview more than a couple of surgeons (not Podiatrists) who have done this type of surgery.

There's quite a bit of info on the 'net regarding this.

Too Tall
07-25-2005, 12:09 PM
Sure, I've had it...got rid of it too. The WORST thing I ever did was let a yahoo doc convice me to have a cortisone shot 5 days before crossing the USA. The cure was moderation, modified shoes to get me by and FINALLY full custom shoes from Bart Sheldrake (L.U.S.T.)

If feasible consider cutting the front 1/3 top cover of your shoe off!!! This will let your foot stay cooler and more room to move. Also, add a small toe lift under the first 4 toes so that you have a way to relieve pressure. Heat makes this worse.

Get the bugger out of crisis with ice, shoe mods and moderation and get yourself a full on custom set of shoes from Bart.

Kudos to K2, R7 etc. However, in this case that's what I'm recommending.

Good luck

Ken Robb
07-25-2005, 12:20 PM
I haven't had this problem but I often ride on MKS touring pedals which have wide platforms. While they will take clips and straps I like them plain.. I ride in everything from TEVA sandals to wlking shoes w/steel shanks. I don't have real problems when I ride in my carnac Quartz and Shimano 7800 or SPD mountain pedals but I can sometimes feel a slight tenderness after such a ride. With the platforms I feel NOTHING, maybe in part because I can move my feet around on the pedal to spread the load and maybe just because the load is spread over such a big area.
I know racy riders wouldn't want to ride like this forever but it might be a way to keep riding while you kill the inflamation as has been suggested. Oh yeah, when you get to a stopping place you won't be the guys clanking and sliding around on the floors.

OldDog
07-25-2005, 03:11 PM
Yeah, been there, to hell and back. 3rd metatarsal space, left foot. Got it a few months before taking delivery of a new custom. Kept me from any riding (10+ miles!) for a long time. 2 years maybe? :crap: There were times I could not walk on it. I baby'd it until the rest of my body went out of whack compensating.

Listen to Dave T. Get lots of opinions. Then get lots more.

Have you tried the alcohal/saline injections? 13 for me and the neuroma is gone. I know a gal who had 4 and she is good. We both have orthotics, with the metatarsal lift, positioned by perscription from our podiatrist. I also cut mine off at the ball of the foot allowing the toes to hang a bit, relieves pressure.

Give surgury a lot of thought. I know lots of people that had it, and none that said anything good about the results. Seems the neuroma reforms on the end of the cut nerve.

Again, investigate the saline alcohal injections. Also search this forum and the old one for this topic.

My current set up is orthotics, Sidi Megas and old style Look PP396 pedals. I dumped Speedplays, contrary to what people say about the big mounting plate on the shoe, they irritated my foot. The micky mouse engineer in me suggested the lolypop pedlas contacting the big plate could not cause problems. I tried the Looks and never went back. I'll pedal a few more oz's for relief.

Good luck.

Lost Weekend
07-25-2005, 06:51 PM
I had the surgery done 2 years ago and am glad I did, after trying cortizone and ortho's with no luck. Went skiing 2 weeks and cycling 4 weeks after operation and haven't felt a thing since.