PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Clincher Suggestions

weatherman
10-28-2011, 01:41 PM
Getting ready to take delivery of a new Di2 bike for 2012 (excited to really try out electronic shifting on the 'daily driver'). I am looking at a few options for carbon clinchers on this build--this will be my regular, good weather bike.

Options I am currently considering:

Edge/DT190--I have a set of Edge 38mm clinchers laced to DT190s. These have been great wheels for me and I am thinking of just keeping them, but am also considering trying something different. (These wheels are currently on my 2010 S-Works Tarmac that is up for sale.)

Zipp 303 Firecrest---Have heard very good things about these wheels and am intrigued by the new design these incorporate.

Cosmic Carbonne SL or Ultimates (or something?)--To me, these seem much heavier and more expensive, I think.

What am I missing? Not a big fan of the Bontrager/Trek stuff, but maybe a Reynolds option?

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

Idris Icabod
10-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Easton carbon clinchers are nice and Easton has great customer service as well. I have a pair of Easton EC90SL wheels and find them to be extremely round which is ideal in a cycling application!

binxnyrwarrsoul
10-28-2011, 02:21 PM
How about Ritchey Superlogics?

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Getting ready to take delivery of a new Di2 bike for 2012 (excited to really try out electronic shifting on the 'daily driver'). I am looking at a few options for carbon clinchers on this build--this will be my regular, good weather bike.

Edge/DT190--I have a set of Edge 38mm clinchers laced to DT190s. These have been great wheels for me and I am thinking of just keeping them, but am also considering trying something different. (These wheels are currently on my 2010 S-Works Tarmac that is up for sale.)

Zipp 303 Firecrest---Have heard very good things about these wheels and am intrigued by the new design these incorporate.

Cosmic Carbonne SL or Ultimates (or something?)--To me, these seem much heavier and more expensive, I think.

What am I missing? Not a big fan of the Bontrager/Trek stuff, but maybe a Reynolds option?

I think all the wheels mentioned have 'hub issues', not the best hubs, all except the Reynolds. Altho I think ceramic is an unnecessary expense, the 240 hubs are really nice.

azrider
10-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Deeper EDGE rims.

jus sayin.......

veloduffer
10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
You want aero or lightweight? If lightweight, I'd skip carbon and get some Stan's rims laced to Alchemy/ORC hubs with Sapim spokes. You could get a set that weighs just south of 1300 grams, depending on your weight.

If you want aero and save a bit of cash, you might consider Boyd wheels. Handbuilt carbons in the US and lots of good reviews here and other forums. About half the cost of those you've mentioned.

I think most of the Bontrager carbon are HED built wheels, so they're pretty good.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 04:02 PM
You want aero or lightweight? If lightweight, I'd skip carbon and get some Stan's rims laced to Alchemy/ORC hubs with Sapim spokes. You could get a set that weighs just south of 1300 grams, depending on your weight.

If you want aero and save a bit of cash, you might consider Boyd wheels. Handbuilt carbons in the US and lots of good reviews here and other forums. About half the cost of those you've mentioned.

I think most of the Bontrager carbon are HED built wheels, so they're pretty good.

Just a quick note about Stans rims. I just saw the 6th one(not my builds) that have gone to hell in short order. 2 road, 4 MTB..not impressed by these very light rims. I think the gent would be better served to add 150 grams or so to the rims(420gr) and gain some reliability.

weatherman
10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Just a quick note about Stans rims. I just saw the 6th one(not my builds) that have gone to hell in short order. 2 road, 4 MTB..not impressed by these very light rims. I think the gent would be better served to add 150 grams or so to the rims(420gr) and gain some reliability.

Thanks for the thoughts folks--I am fairly light (approx. 155) and pretty easy on parts although I would favor heavier/more reliable to lightest possible (if choosing). I've run Stan's rims on my mountain bikes and honestly, have had very good luck with them despite abusing a set pretty good on my singlespeed.

Keep the thoughts coming--appreciate the input.

EDS
10-28-2011, 04:33 PM

If I were you I would either keep what I had or try something deeper and really aero (meaning Zipp, Hed or Enve Smart).

mike p
10-28-2011, 06:24 PM
Reynolds assaults. Great wheel for the money.

Mike

rnhood
10-28-2011, 07:31 PM
If the Firecrest 303s are as good as the 404s, then you would be in for a treat should you go in that direction. Its definitely the way I would go - though its not a cheap route. On a budget route I believe I would go with Easton. But those Zipp Firecrest are some kind of nice.