PDA

View Full Version : OT: World Series Game 6

Jeff N.
10-28-2011, 08:50 AM
...the most incredible ending since I watched cripled Kirk Gibson's impossible walk-off homer off Dennis Eckersley in the '88 World Series (Dodgers vs. A's). St. Louis absolutely would NOT give up. Lessons for us all. Jeff N.

Bob Ross
10-28-2011, 08:51 AM
I only watched the first 2 innings & haven't checked the news yet. Should I presume St.Louis won?

Jeff N.
10-28-2011, 08:54 AM
I only watched the first 2 innings & haven't checked the news yet. Should I presume St.Louis won?
They most certainly did. Jeff N.

Aaron O
10-28-2011, 08:56 AM
...the most incredible ending since Kirk Gibson's homer off Dennis Eckersley in the '88 World Series. St. Louis absolutely would NOT give up. Lessons for us all. Jeff N.

As a life long Phils fan, I learned that, much to my chagrine.

I have to respect them, but I also FREAKING HATE THEM AND THEIR SQUIRREL! Pujols is just amazing...the best of his generation. He's Bonds if Bonds ego had let him just stick to being the best all around baseball player in the game.

fourflys
10-28-2011, 08:58 AM
I'm not a huge baseball fan, but that game sure helps! WOW, it was pretty awesome... sucks I have class tonight... I guess that's what laptops and WiFi is for... :D

fiamme red
10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Too bad that here on the east coast I couldn't stay up late enough to watch the ending.

rugbysecondrow
10-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Too bad that here on the east coast I couldn't stay up late enough to watch the ending.

Ditto, I tried, but fell asleep. It was a sloppy game for a while, so some of the hyperbole about the "Greatest Game Ever" is a little far fetched. I wish I would have watched it though. I am a Cards hater, but they are a stong squad and Freese is fortunate he was able to overcome his blunder earlier in the game.

oldpotatoe
10-28-2011, 09:36 AM
Ditto, I tried, but fell asleep. It was a sloppy game for a while, so some of the hyperbole about the "Greatest Game Ever" is a little far fetched. I wish I would have watched it though. I am a Cards hater, but they are a stong squad and Freese is fortunate he was able to overcome his blunder earlier in the game.

Tonite will be a test for Texas but also a test for Washington to see how good of a skipper he is.

St Louis

Hawker
10-28-2011, 09:38 AM
I went to bed early and missed all the Pujols heroics in game 3 so I forced myself to stay up for the entire game last night. I'm a St. Louis fan....WOW innings 9-11 were just incredible and improbable. And in spite of all those errors.

I am so sleepy.

Ray
10-28-2011, 10:14 AM
I'm a Phils fan, but the Cards won my HUGE respect for the way they played our guys (not to mention the whole last month and a half of the season). And it even went past respect into growing to like them and really wanting them to win the whole thing. I crashed after the 7th last night, when the St. Louis pitchers were serving up hanging breaking balls that even I might have been able to hit. Guys like Beltre and Cruz are NOT gonna miss garbage like that. I figured they'd given it their all, but they just finally wore out (and I think their bullpen arms largely have, but now they just have to see if they can see 'em through one more game).

So I went to sleep figuring the game was over. I can't stand to see Texans or New Yorkers celebrate sports victories (goes waaaay back to hating the Cowboys and Yankees as a kid - some things you never outgrow), so I turned it off and went to sleep. When I got up this morning and saw what happened I couldn't frickin' believe it. Now, whoever wins it will REALLY deserve it. If the Cards win, it goes back to their amazing, never say die, performance last night. If the Rangers can gather up their shattered psyches off the floor and actually come out and win, we'll know just how resilient THEY are. Regardless, I'm staying up tonight. And I'm gonna have to see if I can catch a reply of last night's game on MLB sometime this afternoon...

-Ray

tannhauser
10-28-2011, 11:43 AM
The game was great because it had everything, including sloppy play.

Great opera runs the gamut.

Climb01742
10-28-2011, 11:48 AM
i went to sleep when it was 7-4. yes, i'm an idiot. when a baseball game is just average, it's deeply dull. but when baseball is great, i think it's the greatest experience in sport. not quite sure why but maybe it has to do with the fact that baseball unfolds at a pace we can savor and fully take in. where as other sports (football, basketball) happen bang, bang, bang...almost too quickly. i dunno, but when baseball is great, damn it's good.

tannhauser
10-28-2011, 11:51 AM
i went to sleep when it was 7-4. yes, i'm an idiot. when a baseball game is just average, it's deeply dull. but when baseball is great, i think it's the greatest experience in sport. not quite sure why but maybe it has to do with the fact that baseball unfolds at a pace we can savor and fully take in. where as other sports (football, basketball) happen bang, bang, bang...almost too quickly. i dunno, but when baseball is great, damn it's good.

Exactly. Operatic pacing. Tension builds, then releases.

Jeff N.
10-28-2011, 12:00 PM
My Dad used to say:
Football: Diamond mining.
Baseball: Diamond cutting.

1happygirl
10-28-2011, 12:11 PM
Awesome. The Cards almost lost it, Rangers weren't winning it themselves early on.

Pujols? What 0 for 5!!
All good 2 nite though. Really don't have a horse in the game, but the folks grew up in SL. Surprisingly, they have said SL has won a lot so are pulling for TX.

Of course, I'll pull for cards (insert wink here ). Talk a little smack at work and house. yeah :banana:

tannhauser
10-28-2011, 12:14 PM
My Dad used to say:

I love your dad.

jr59
10-28-2011, 01:14 PM
My Dad used to say:

Good stuff here!

cuda2k
10-28-2011, 01:27 PM
as a life long Texas fan, last night involved a lot of :crap: and :confused: mixed in with some :hello: :banana:. I really really hope Texas can pull it out tonight to win their first, but if St. Louis takes it, then it will be with much respect that I raise my glass to them. This certainly has been a memorable post season in both leagues.

rpm
10-28-2011, 01:37 PM
For those of us up on the frozen tundra, the hit was reminiscent of Kirby Puckett's Game 6 walkoff in the 11th inning against Atlanta in the 1991 series. Joe Buck even made the same call as his father did: "And we'll see you tomorrow night!"

http://mlb.sbnation.com/2011/10/28/2520528/2011-world-series-game-6-top-10-all-time

swg
10-28-2011, 02:23 PM
[QUOTE=rpm]For those of us up on the frozen tundra, the hit was reminiscent of Kirby Puckett's Game 6 walkoff in the 11th inning against Atlanta in the 1991 series. Joe Buck even made the same call as his father did: "And we'll see you tomorrow night!"

Great thing about baseball is all of us have moments like that burned into our memory. Being from Houston it was great to see Berkman get that hit to tie the game. Every Houstonian remembers Billy Hatcher's home run in 86' (even thought we lost) and Chris Burke's in 2005 only to name a couple.

Nice pickup on remembering the call by Buck's father.

93legendti
10-28-2011, 03:36 PM
[QUOTE=rpm]...Every Houstonian remembers Billy Hatcher's home run in 86' (even thought we lost) and Chris Burke's in 2005 only to name a couple...

iirc, Keith Hernandez came to the mound after Hatcher's shot and told Jesse Orosco that if he threw that pitch again, Hernandez and Orosco were going to fight on the spot...

love it...

weatherman
10-28-2011, 04:10 PM
as a life long Texas fan, last night involved a lot of :crap: and :confused: mixed in with some :hello: :banana:. I really really hope Texas can pull it out tonight to win their first, but if St. Louis takes it, then it will be with much respect that I raise my glass to them. This certainly has been a memorable post season in both leagues.

I am torn--college in Forth Worth, Texas, grad school in St. Louis....was at the game last night, rooted for St. Louis and can't even begin to explain how crazy things were in the stands and afterwards for hours....still tired out almost 24 hours later and those guys have to go out and play again tonight!! Wow. Best game I've ever seen, let alone attended.

Go CARDS!!!! :banana:

Jeff N.
10-28-2011, 05:05 PM
I am torn--college in Forth Worth, Texas, grad school in St. Louis....was at the game last night, rooted for St. Louis and can't even begin to explain how crazy things were in the stands and afterwards for hours....still tired out almost 24 hours later and those guys have to go out and play again tonight!! Wow. Best game I've ever seen, let alone attended.

Go CARDS!!!! :banana:Hell, I can't even imagine what it must've been like inside any St.Louis bar in town, let alone inside Busch Stadium! You going again tonight? If the Cards pull it off, you'd best have your riot gear on, son. And the SLPD better gear up too! (I'm sure they will...) Jeff N.

wc1934
10-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Like Yogi said "it's not over till it's over".
Great comeback, but not a great game - great entertainment and all, but too many errors for my liking - that said, there were some great plays - I was rooting for the cardinals only because I wanted a game 7 -

Iowegian
10-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Great entertainment but a sloppy game. I was pulling for St. Louis last night but I'm pulling for Texas tonight. It will be interesting to see who has the mo' and who is flat after all the excitement last night.

bironi
10-28-2011, 09:58 PM
By my eye, the game has speeded up from a few years back. I remember every pitcher spending a lot of time tucking in their gold neck chains, scratching their midsection, etc., and the change of pitchers was much longer. These were changes make it much more enjoyable as a viewer. That's the take of an occasional view.

biker72
10-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Congratulations to the Cardinals. My Rangers just didn’t have it last night. Too many walks and hit batsmen were just part of the problem. Not enough offense. When it counted, St. Louis was the better team.

Jeff N.
10-29-2011, 05:44 PM
Indeed. Congrats, St. Louis. (Next yer it'll be my Padres.....NOT!!!)